Noordam Northbound to Alaska + Denali Almost Live

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:53 PM.
New Mexico
4,465 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
As noted in an earlier post, the Noordam arrived late and so far I have found nobody that knows why. I will keep working on it.

The check-in process was quite smooth compared to all of the other check-ins that I have experienced. The only downside was walking from the HAL check-in location to the Security checkpoint right into the wave of disembarking passengers. I had to wait only a few minutes before the Security folks as me step forward. My carryon bag was opened and some of my A/C adapters were confiscated although all met the HAL adapter requirements. Identical adapters also in the bag were not confiscated. It was not worth arguing with a contractor. I will go to Security and attempt to get them back. No adapters or extension cords were confiscated from my check luggage as they were in San Diego. That latter is why I pack adapters and extension cords in both luggage categories.

I took my seat in the Suite Guest/4-Star Mariner row of seats a few yards from several hundred passengers facing me a few minutes after 10:00 AM. A member of our roll call stopped by to talk about my ship's tour scheduled for this afternoon and soon four other Suites guests joined the discussion. Boarding was at the stroke of 11:30 AM and I was the first passenger to board the ship. I was in my stateroom at 11:37. My luggage was on the bed when I returned from an Asian lunch in the Lido Market at 1:00 PM.

The walking tour with my roll call members grew to nearly 20 with other first-time HAL cruisers joining us. We got the full infomercial from the Spa folks to include a pitch by the Dermatologist who vowed that we could be ten years younger in just a few minutes. With the exception of the Private Party Crow's Nest, Retreat Cabanas, and the closed Deck 3 Vista Show Room doors, the tour hit all of the public areas of the ship.

The Crew Safety Drill was almost painless and quick with the stateroom cards being scanned for all arriving passengers. I did see a good number of walkers, wheel chairs, and scooters which indicated no active process to allow them to attend an alternative drill elsewhere on the ship.

In spite of the late arrival, the ship managed to depart on time.

Changes that I noticed today: New elevator interiors, glassware in the Lido Market are now plastic, "On Locations" are now "Where & When" with a new format, MDR tables have new table number markers that include the name of the waiters serving each table, Lido Market tables now have the name of the server responsible for each table, stateroom cards are now scanned as part of the Passenger Safety Drill, all electrical adapters/cords in carry-on luggage are confiscated and sent to ship's Security (I will plead my case tomorrow), new folders on your bed during evening turn down (Where & When, Breakfast Card, and promotions), invitations and dining reservations now in very small envelopes, lots of USB ports around the staterooms (bedsides, desk, new literature in staterooms (Room Service menus, DVD list, welcome booklets, etc,), HAL Security is now located before entering the gangway, and new Alaska shopping bag.

Internet prices are $250 for 1000 minutes, $175 for 500 minutes, $100 for 250 minutes, or 75 cents per minute.

The weather is wonderful with blue skies, bright sunshine, and puffy clouds at 9:00 PM.

More later.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Photo Reviews -OR--Menus, On Locations, and More

Oosterdam - Alaska - May 2008 (7 days)
Westerdam - Alaska - May 2009 (7 days)
Westerdam - Caribbean (Eastern & Southern) - Feb 2010 (14 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Caribbean (Western) - Nov 2010 (7 days)
Oosterdam - Mexican Riviera - April 2011 (7 days)
Zuiderdam - Alaska - Sep 2011 (B2B 14 days)
Noordam - Caribbean Seafarer - Mar 2012 (11 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Caribbean (Western) - Nov 2012 (7 days)
Westerdam - Caribbean (Southern) - Dec 2012 (7 days)
Zuiderdam - Alaska - May 2013 (B2B 14 days)
Zuiderdam - Panama Canal Sunfarer- Nov 2013 (10 days)
Westerdam - Alaska - Jul 2014 (B2B 4 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Dec 2014 Caribbean - (East-West 14 days)
Noordam - Pacific Coastal - May 2015 (5 days)
Noordam - Alaska - May 2015 (B2B 14 days)

Oosterdam - Southern Caribbean - Nov 2015
(11 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Pacific Coastal - Apr 2016 (5 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska Inside Passage - April 2016 (B2B 14 days)
Zuiderdam - Panama Canal - Nov 2016 (10 days)
Noordam - Alaska - Jun 2017 (Northbound includes Denali) (12 days)
Veendam - Caribbean - Dec 2017 (14 days)
Zaandam - Alaska - May 2017 (14 days)

Nieuw Statendam - Caribbean - Jan 2019 (14 days)

Albuquerque, New Mexico
12,641 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by Crew News
......................<Snip>............More later.
Good night my darling, Smooth Seas and Blue Skies, I Love you.

Have you asked if Walter, my #1 Son is aboard?

Me
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email [email protected]

"To me a stranger is just a friend I have not yet met."

Our Personal Web Site for our cruises, photos, menus, activities, etc. http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/

Past Cruises
:

Brendisi-Piraeus Jun 83

Greek Islands Jun 85
Piraeus-Venice Dec 85
Oosterdam-
VA 5054-Alaska May 08
Westerdam-SA 7076-Alaska May 09
Westerdam-
VF 8154-Caribbean (E&S) Feb 10
Nieuw Amsterdam-
SC 6164-Caribbean (W) Nov 10
Oosterdam-SC 6166-Mexican Riviera Apr 11
Zuiderdam-SC 6166-Alaska Sept 11
Noordam-SB 7142-Caribbean (S) Mar 12
Nieuw Amsterdam-SC 6175-Caribbean (W) Nov 12
Westerdam-SA 7085-Caribbean (S) Dec 12
Zuiderdam-SC 5190-Alaska May 13
Zuiderdam-SC 6166-Panama Canal (PT) Nov 13
Westerdam-SC 5190-Alaska July 14
Westerdam-SS 6052-Alaska July 14
Nieuw Amsterdam-SB-5187-E/W Caribbean 7-21 Dec 15
Noordam-SB-7142-San Diego/Alaska 5-23 May 15
Oosterdam-SB-6166-Caribbean Wayfarer 16-27 Nov 15
Nieuw Amsterdam-SC 5186-San Diego to Alaska Inside Passage - 19 Days-25 Apr through May 14 2016
Zuiderdam-SB 5190-Panama Canal (Partial Transit) 20 November 2016
(FINAL Cruise due to HAL Smoking Policy Change)
New Brunswick, Canada
9,587 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
By AC adapters, are you talking about the little adapters that you put into the European style receptacles in your cabin so you can plug the North American style plugs in?
If so, that just doesn't make sense to confiscate them.
All the phone, iPad and camera chargers today run on either current and all the adapter does is give you an extra plug to allow more devices to be charged at the same time.
I'll be interested to hear how you make out when you plead your case.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

email me

106,646 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Loving the review.

I also don't understand all this adapter removal from carry-on luggage.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Stopped counting a few years ago -- have done over 140 cruises.
106,646 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Just a note that the Noordam is running very late. When I went to breakfast at the Food Court this morning, just before 7:00 AM, I saw the Noordam moving slowly in the harbor.

For those with early flights, they will need some real luck today with a one hour late start getting to the airport..

Just one more reason why we stay over an extra day at the end of the cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Stopped counting a few years ago -- have done over 140 cruises.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
12,641 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Deleted because Upload of image would not work. See next post.

Joanie
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email [email protected]

Our Personal Web Site for our cruises, photos, menus, activities, etc. http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/

Past Cruises
:

Brendisi-Piraeus Jun 83

Greek Islands Jun 85
Piraeus-Venice Dec 85
Oosterdam-
VA 5054-Alaska May 08
Westerdam-
Nieuw Amsterdam-
Nieuw Amsterdam-SC 5186-San Diego to Alaska Inside Passage - 19 Days-25 Apr through May 14 2016
Albuquerque, New Mexico
12,641 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Try this again............

A snap shot of Noordam as she heads north through the Inside Passage about 2 hours ago.

I recorded about 5 minutes of her off 2 of the web cams (2 were not on yet) and have it saved if any of your fellow passengers want it.

Noordam Northward Bound June 5 2017 approximately 6:42am PDT

Noordam_1_2017-06-05_0642-48.jpg

Joanie
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email [email protected]

Past Cruises
:

Brendisi-Piraeus Jun 83

Greek Islands Jun 85
Piraeus-Venice Dec 85
Oosterdam-
VA 5054-Alaska May 08
Westerdam-
Nieuw Amsterdam-
Sunny Sequim, Washington state
5,892 Posts
Joined Jul 2005

,,,,,,,,,,Changes that I noticed today: New elevator interiors, glassware in the Lido Market are now plastic, "On Locations" are now "Where & When" with a new format, MDR tables have new table number markers that include the name of the waiters serving each table, Lido Market tables now have the name of the server responsible for each table, stateroom cards are now scanned as part of the Passenger Safety Drill, all electrical adapters/cords in carry-on luggage are confiscated and sent to ship's Security (I will plead my case tomorrow), new folders on your bed during evening turn down (Where & When, Breakfast Card, and promotions), invitations and dining reservations now in very small envelopes, lots of USB ports around the staterooms (bedsides, desk, new literature in staterooms (Room Service menus, DVD list, welcome booklets, etc,), HAL Security is now located before entering the gangway, and new Alaska shopping bag...............

More later.
Thanks for the wealth of information, and for taking the time to post here! I bolded your sentence above, because I find it interesting. We always bring a power strip and extension cord on every HAL cruise, and we've never had a problem. We bring them onboard via hand luggage or checked luggage, either way, no problem. The power strip we use is an older one that does not have a surge protector. Don't know why they're picking on you. Hope they give you back your adaptors and cords.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making a few more" - CC Member Diann 744
No. California
7,419 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Roger, I am really enjoying traveling along with you. We're doing the Noordam's southbound cruise next year, so it's great to gather information about a ship new to us.

I am especially looking forward to your Denali photos as we are headed up there this August (via Alaska Railroad).

Hi, Joanie!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming Up:
August 2017 Denali

June 2018 HAL Noordam (Seward to Vancouver)
Past Cruises:
Holland America: Nieuw Amsterdam III; Eurodam; Westerdam; Maasdam; Nieuw Amsterdam (3); Veendam
Norwegian: Jewel (3); Pearl; Spirit (2); Star (3); Sun (4)
Princess: Coral; Golden; Island
Royal Caribbean: Monarch (2); Radiance (2)

Photos
Arlington, Virginia
2,605 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
A heads-up on entertainment for Crews News and any others who may be sailing the Noordam this season:

Don't miss Jeremy Oren in the Piano Bar!

We were on the Noordam May 21-28 and went to part of his show almost every night. (He plays 8:30 - late). On only the first night (before passengers heard how incredible he was), were we able at find seating at 8:30 pm. You better get there about 30-45 minutes early if you want to sit or wait until 10:30 pm when many of the early arrivals have finally left. While all of his shows were fabulous (only rock and roll--no Broadway or musicals tunes), the best for me was "Beatles and Brits".

I think he said he'd be on board for just a couple of months before moving to NYC, so those sailing after July might not see him. He was the best entertainer PERIOD I have ever seen on a cruise ship.
Bluffton, SC
49 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
Originally posted by GradUT
A heads-up on entertainment for Crews News and any others who may be sailing the Noordam this season:

Don't miss Jeremy Oren in the Piano Bar!

We were on the Noordam May 21-28 and went to part of his show almost every night. (He plays 8:30 - late). On only the first night (before passengers heard how incredible he was), were we able at find seating at 8:30 pm. You better get there about 30-45 minutes early if you want to sit or wait until 10:30 pm when many of the early arrivals have finally left. While all of his shows were fabulous (only rock and roll--no Broadway or musicals tunes), the best for me was "Beatles and Brits".

I think he said he'd be on board for just a couple of months before moving to NYC, so those sailing after July might not see him. He was the best entertainer PERIOD I have ever seen on a cruise ship.
I just got off the Noordam and must 2nd this. He was amazing.
Also regarding the ship being late, there was an announcement made early Saturday morning talking about the various checkpoints we would be passing and there was mention of us being late gettin to them but I don't remember the reason. I believe it was either tide or weather related.
108 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Great review so far. What is your itinerary? Is it just to Denali, or are you also going into the Yukon?

I'm doing the 14-day triple Denali and Yukon at the end of August on the Volendam, so I'm interested in any information I can find on these cruise tours, since there are not a lot of reviews for them.

Looking forward to reading the rest of your review!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
The Sierra Foothills in California
209 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Looking forward to seeing the MDR Menus...we'll be sailing on her June 25th!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
03-03-2012 Eurodam
09-15-2012 Veendam
07-20-2013 Sapphire Princess

New Mexico
4,465 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by hbgroadends
Great review so far. What is your itinerary? Is it just to Denali, or are you also going into the Yukon?

I'm doing the 14-day triple Denali and Yukon at the end of August on the Volendam, so I'm interested in any information I can find on these cruise tours, since there are not a lot of reviews for them.
Looking forward to reading the rest of your review!
I am going to Denali for three days and then flying home. There are 14 different Land Itineraries on this ship so I would need more info about yours to ask the Land Tours lady the right questions for you.

There was a briefing letter in my stateroom with booking codes that are needed. DO NOT overlook or discard the letter.

At today's briefing for the HAL Land Tours (there is a private tour group aboard that is also going to Denali with a different briefing) we learned some passengers are traveling by bus and some by domed-train to/from Denali in assigned seats. Some train seats face backward. Box lunches are provided but there is also a menu for more food if you pay by credit card. Buses and train have bathrooms with buses making stops every 90 minutes for bathroom breaks. Medical equipment can be carried in the luggage compartment of both buses and trains. There is another briefing Friday for luggage issues.

Daily itineraries and hotel room keys will be distributed only the night before each arrival and are not available in one package. Luggage is limited to one bag and a small carry-on. There is no access to your luggage until it is delivered to your hotel room each night so meds need to be in your small carry-on. With my Scott E Vest, I can wear more stuff in addition to the camera bag I will carry. As of today, the letter mentioned above is the only literature I have received but will get my first daily itinerary the day before we disembark. If I can convince the Land Tours person, I will try to get some more info for you for your specific itinerary. I will at least share what info is applicable to my itinerary. FWIW I will try to collect as much info as possible and scan as many menus that I can.

Denali buses are modified school buses that will be making numerous stop as well as immediate stops for wildlife. Only the first 17 road miles are open this week with more opening next week.
With most of the passengers on board doing 14 different Land Tours, it is difficult to discuss specific details with others without getting very confused. I discovered the latter very quickly this morning at breakfast.

I will be posting an in-depth review of my specific itinerary but will be glad to seek answers for other itineraries if you pose the questions on this thread. Answers will be posted as soon as I obtain them. If I discover any relevant web URLs, I will post them here.

My fingers are crossed that I will have internet access in Denali.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

(11 days)

New Mexico
4,465 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by Old As Dirt Mom
Thanks for the wealth of information, and for taking the time to post here! I bolded your sentence above, because I find it interesting. We always bring a power strip and extension cord on every HAL cruise, and we've never had a problem. We bring them onboard via hand luggage or checked luggage, either way, no problem. The power strip we use is an older one that does not have a surge protector. Don't know why they're picking on you. Hope they give you back your adaptors and cords.
It is not HAL but rather the Security contractors in Vancouver confiscating. I did see a safety video on board that stated personal multi-connector cords are not permitted with a picture of the type of adapter cord that was confiscated from me. Only "cords" were declared "not allowed" and not the adapters without cords. They took both types from me but only from my carry-on bag.
Since I have other adapters, I am not in panic mode.

FWIW There are four USB ports, one on each side of the bed and two at the desk.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

(11 days)

Warwick, R.I. , USA
37,980 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
Originally posted by alwaysfrantic
SO sad to read only 17 miles into Denali on the TWT. That was to be a highlight. It is normally 50 or so I think?
On a good day you can go 89 miles. I was fortunate and was there on a good day.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CCASE/LSSE

Chocolate is to women what duct tape is to men.
It fixes everything.
New Mexico
4,465 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by alwaysfrantic
SO sad to read only 17 miles into Denali on the TWT. That was to be a highlight. It is normally 50 or so I think? Our tour is Thursday. It will be much shorter than I had hoped.
The entire park roads don't officially open until Jun 8 even if they are not blocked by snow. You might be just fine.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

(11 days)

New Mexico
4,465 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by I am Lulu
Looking forward to seeing the MDR Menus...we'll be sailing on her June 25th!
The menus are posted on the free Navigator web page and are very hard to copy/save/print but I have not yet given up. I will be pasting individual screen shots and stitching them back together to reassemble them. Wish I had a bigger monitor than this laptop to get a larger capture.

Only the menu of the day is available.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

(11 days)