Stopping complimentary afternoon tea in mdr?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:52 AM.
Lincolnshire
934 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by Eglesbrech
No I don't see it changing and indeed the move to reduce aspects of traditional cruising seems to be happening more frequently. We now only go with P&O before other ships come into the UK or after (so Spring and Autumn/winter). P&O would have been a first choice in the past but now it is a last resort to an extent.

We are finding that we have to pay a lot more once on board to get anything like a decent cruise, eg most nights in select dining etc. We don't like the Eric Lanyard afternoon tea having tried it, too much and too sweet but I also don't like juggling food in a buffet (and the health implications with some of the habits of other passengers).

For all the new passengers they will attract with the lower headline price I wonder just how many more experienced cruisers will defect to other lines?
At last........ another passenger that doesn't like Lanlard's afternoon tea

Its also like the other lines that have started introducing ramped up prices for "Premium All Inclusive" and then complain that people are visiting the bar too often.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2006 Carnival Valor – E Caribbean
2007 Carnival Valor – W Caribbean
2008 Carnival Pride - Mexico
2009 Carnival Freedom – Costa Rica, Panama, Cozamel
2010 RCCI Liberty of the Seas - Mediterranean
2010 RCCI Oasis of the Seas – E Caribbean
2011 RCCI Allure – W Caribbean
2012 RCCI Independence of the Seas - Mediterranean
2013 RCCI Freedom of the Seas - Caribbean
2014 RCCI Adventure of the Seas – Mediterranean
2015 P&O Britannia – Canary Islands
2016 Emerald Princess - Brugge and Scandinavia
2016 P&O Britannia - Caribbean Islands
2017 P&O Ventura - August Greece and Italy
UK
2,371 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
It's all well saying defect to another cruise line... but I am not really tempted to the other options available : ( I want to stay with P&O, so I just hope they don't change the product too much. My real dread is too much dumbing down.
Scotland
595 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by Scriv
It's all well saying defect to another cruise line... but I am not really tempted to the other options available : ( I want to stay with P&O, so I just hope they don't change the product too much. My real dread is too much dumbing down.
I can understand that perspective as well.
16 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
Originally posted by davenew
At last........ another passenger that doesn't like Lanlard's afternoon tea

Its also like the other lines that have started introducing ramped up prices for "Premium All Inclusive" and then complain that people are visiting the bar too often.
We didn't like it either, style over substance I thought and what is with the duck in between a chocolate macaron?! The tea was good though.
Solihull
2,039 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
I like afternoon tea in MDR, I can pre-order sandwiches without any fuss or confusion and always know that there is something I can eat

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Southampton UK
8 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
I am sad that the traditional elements of cruising appear to be dissappearing from the P & O brand. I love the opportunity to take afternoon tea, makes a light snack an occasion and a friendly chat with fellow cruisers. I also love to dress for Dinner every night, it is part of the cruise culture to my mind. With all of these traditional elements going, it will become just a mode of travel rather than a cruise experience.

As some one suggested there are enough ship's in the fleet for a mixture of the more traditional and then the less formal concept, to suit everyone's tastes. You would know at time of booking what you were signing up for at least.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
UK
748 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Perhaps people weren't using it on that cruise so they stopped doing it for that cruise only. ( is that wishful thinking?) we have only used it once but it would be nice to know it is there if needed.

As for the room service charging quite a few other cruise lines started charging at the same time. I guess it's a sign of the times with people expecting cruises for the same price as years before.
1,212 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Originally posted by Freds mum
As some one suggested there are enough ship's in the fleet for a mixture of the more traditional and then the less formal concept, to suit everyone's tastes. You would know at time of booking what you were signing up for at least.
Carnival already has a brand in its group that provides that formality, so they would probably think twice about splitting the P&O brand to try and create a diluted version of it and the confusion it would cause within the P&O brand.

People need to realise that P&O exists for one purpose, which is to deliver dividends to shareholders and they will do whatever it needs to do that.
Kent, England
6,108 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by Freds mum
Apart from Adonia the ships are big enough to cater for multiple tastes. Splitting the fleet would require the 'traditional' ship to be rebranded otherwise there would be confusion amongst passengers. I remember when Oceana had different dress codes for her summer and winter seasons, that caused endless confusion. Then of course 'your ship' would not be cruising where you wanted to go.It would be better to move a ship to Cunard.

If you want a better dining experience you can pay for a cover charge restaurant and if you like formality you can wear a jacket and tie on evening casual nights and the full dinner jacket thing on formals. Only frequent the formal venues if seeing other people dressed casually offends you
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Include tips in the fare

Previously
Thomson Celebration x 4
Thomson Spirit x 3
Thomson Destiny x 3
Thomson Dream x 2
Thomson Majesty x 3
P&O Ventura x 6
P&O Oceana x 8
P&O Arcadia
P&O Britannia
P&O Aurora x 2
P&O Oriana
TUI Discovery x 2
NCL Epic

To come
Thomson Majesty 2017
P&O Oceana 2017
P&O Azura 2017
TUI Discovery 2018
TUI Explorer 2018
P&O Oceana 2018
Hampshire, England
1,494 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by daiB
What a strange post. They still have the chefs parade with the silly waving of napkins

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Love it Dai.

I thought that napkin waving was only a feature on Thomson.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dancing above the Waves.

Diving below them.

Solihull
2,039 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
Originally posted by Solent Richard
Love it Dai.

I thought that napkin waving was only a feature on Thomson.

I have been cruising a long time and have never seen napkin waving

UK
231 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Originally posted by Florry
I've seen some waving for chefs, but the worst was on Celebrity where each table was encouraged to make as much noise as possible to show their waiters were best - complete with "come on, you can do better than that". Truly awful!
Whitley Bay, North East England
6,327 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Did not mention it in my Princess review but it was a major feature on Princess. Everyone was encouraged to make a loud noise and wave their napkins and stand and shout. ***** awful and it went on and on. Worst part of our Princess cruise, which I did enjoy.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aurora AU112 Arcadia AR223
Aurora R418 Aurora R419
Adonia F507 Adonia F508
Aurora R525 Arcadia J625
Oceana E721 Oriana X718
Arcadia J813 Oriana X820
Ventura N902 Aurora R913
Arcadia J004 Oceana E021
Ventura N110 Azura A121
Aurora R119 Ventura N210
Arcadia J217 Oriana X302
Oriana X312 Aurora R315
Oceana E402 Azura A409
Azura A410 Oceana E425
Oceana E426 Arcadia J510
Britannia B522 Britannia B523
Ventura N603 Azura A616
Arcadia J615 Arcadia J616
Oceana E625

To Come

Crown Princess 17
Britannia 17
Britannia 17
Azura 17
Azura 17
Ventura 18
Oriana 18
Oriana 18
Ventura 19

Gan Canny

Dai
Manchester, UK
10,148 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by Florry

Used to be very prevalent on RCI. Never experienced it on Celebrity but we've always eaten in one of the specialty restaurants on the last evening when this disgusting practice usually takes place in the MDR.

Hate it, I don't want to be showered with bits of food, crumbs etc (not to mention the remnants of other stuff when people have used them for blowing their noses or coughed into them too ugh) that have been collected in someone's napkin during a meal.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Peteukmcr from Manchester, UK

Stoke on Trent, England
4,854 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Oh well, the things I mentioned that we miss are some of our favourite moments / memories from our first P&O cruise on Oceana. I think your first cruise is always special and memorable as everything is so new and special...

These P&O traditions may not be special to you all though, but they were special to us at that time. It is clear that 'one man's meat is another man's poison'.

Let's all appreciate that we are all different and that if something means a lot to some cruisers (though we ourselves may hate it) then it is still important. (For us it is the shows --------- hate them!)

Am opting out of this thread now - unusual for me.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed on:
P&O Britannia 28.05.17 : Iberian Cruise
P&O Oceana 10.08.16 : Western Med fly cruise
P&O Britannia 25.07.15 : Iberia and Canaries
P&O Oceana 08.04.15 : Western Med
P&O Oceana 19.04.14 : Iberian Cruise
RCI Independence of the Seas 29.10.13 : Mini cruise
Celebrity Silhouette 12:08:13 : Greek Islands / Italy
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:12 : Adriatic / Venice
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:11 : Eastern Med/Holy Land
P&O Oceana August 2010 : Western Med
Ocean Village 02:08:09 : Eastern Med / Crete
Louis Cruises August 2001 : Egypt
Batemans Bay, NSW Australia
9,068 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by daiB
Did not mention it in my Princess review but it was a major feature on Princess. Everyone was encouraged to make a loud noise and wave their napkins and stand and shout. ***** awful and it went on and on. Worst part of our Princess cruise, which I did enjoy.

Yes, parade of the Chefs and napkin waving on Princess is a tradition. I waved my napkin on QM2 in March and got the 'Cunard Stare.' I don't see a problem with the waving all part of the fun, like ye olde Great British Sailaway.

As for abolishing 'Arvo Tea' in the MDR on P&O, shock, horror, what if Carnival do it across their fleets, the Cunarders will riot. LOL.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last cruise: Queen Mary 2 - Sydney - HK, 16 nights, 2 - 18 March 2017.

**Future Cruises**:

Adonia: - 3 June 2018, France, Spain & Portugal, ex Southampton - 16 nights
B2B with..
Adonia: - 19 June 2018, Ireland, North Cape, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 18 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'
essex uk and calabria italy
663 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by peteukmcr
Used to be very prevalent on RCI. Never experienced it on Celebrity but we've always eaten in one of the specialty restaurants on the last evening when this disgusting practice usually takes place in the MDR.

Hate it, I don't want to be showered with bits of food, crumbs etc (not to mention the remnants of other stuff when people have used them for blowing their noses or coughed into them too ugh) that have been collected in someone's napkin during a meal.
I hadnt thought about it like that.A shower of food and bogeys LOL.
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
486 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
I do enjoy afternoon tea - although invariably only have one scone and one cake with a couple of cups of tea. Personally I hope they do keep it. Maybe they have looked at Fred Olsen, who provide the basics in the 'buffet' and charge for a full afternoon tea in the equivalent of the Crow's Nest.

Cruising has changed massively since I first went on QE2 in 1995. It is a much diluted experience but the prices have also plummeted. It hardly costs any more now than it did in 1997 when we took our first P&O cruise.

I do like the chefs' parade. They do a fantastic job and it is good to show appreciation with a round of applause. Napkin Waving? Whooping and hollering? No thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Andrew

Past: Cunard QE2 & Queen Elizabeth; P&O Victoria, Oriana, Arcadia, Aurora, Oceana, Azura; Sea Princess; Celebrity Summit; Fred Olsen Black Watch, Saga Ruby, Portuscale MV Funchal, MS Mayfair (Nile River Cruise).

Future: CMV Marco Polo to Iceland.
Oxfordshire
15 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
Originally posted by Eglesbrech
I agree with this sentiment. People seem to think that it is fine when the company remove something that they don't use. Will they be so happy when they take away something that they do use and like?

And to an extent the real issue is (allegedly) removing something else that was part of the brochure offering and included in the price when everyone booked. If I booked Brittania today then according to the current marketing information I still get MDR afternoon tea.

When I booked my cruises earlier this brochure offered complimentary items of room service.

Based on P&O obvious willingness to simply remove items included in the package when holidays went on sale I do really wonder what they will remove next.
I have to say I totally agree. I've two cruises booked for 2018, one to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary, and a family holiday. I booked because of the multiple options cruising gives us, all included. We did enjoy room service on our first cruise as we were travelling through the sea lock leaving Amsterdam and I wanted to watch it from the balcony. We also enjoyed afternoon tea instead of lunch.

I'm concerned that elements advertised as part of our cruise are no longer on offer, and wonder what else might be removed before we cruise next year.
Batemans Bay, NSW Australia
9,068 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by brian1
I hadnt thought about it like that.A shower of food and bogeys LOL.
The bean counters at Carnival will most probably get rid of ye olde linen napkins and replace them with the McDonalds type 5" x 5" paper variety, a quid for 100 from Tesco or Lidl, lol. Try waving them at the 'parade of the chefs.' They won't hold too much dropped food and other infectious products.

I submit that the paper serviettes be trialled on Cunard, lol, in Queens/Princess Grills of course, hee, hee.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last cruise: Queen Mary 2 - Sydney - HK, 16 nights, 2 - 18 March 2017.

**Future Cruises**:

Adonia: - 3 June 2018, France, Spain & Portugal, ex Southampton - 16 nights
B2B with..
Adonia: - 19 June 2018, Ireland, North Cape, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 18 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'