No More Deck 9 Cookouts for HAL

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:59 PM.
Raleigh NC
24,634 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by bUU
Second guessing accredited professionals doing their jobs is all the rage with the kids these days.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.
The world is full of so called professional who don't know squat. Common sense doesn't apply just their ever tighter oversight. One wonders where it ends but you soon realize it doesn't.

As for the kids, great, maybe there is some hope.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kirk

Future Cruises
HAL Prinsendam 12-18-2017 - Christmas on the Elegant Explorer
HAL Prinsendam 7-16-2018 - Four months on the Elegant Explorer
HAL Amsterdam 1-22-2019 - Grand World Voyage
Montgomery County, Maryland
3,986 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by Crew News
I looked forward to the traditional Juneau cookout only to learn that new health rules require all cooking to be done in designated/certified kitchens.
So sad, I was looking forward to this meal.
6,028 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Originally posted by sapper1
The mention of the retractable cover being open and presenting a hazard got me to thinking about seagulls, which are abundant in ports. Living in a seaport myself I am well aware of the presents the nasty garbage birds can leave on cars, deck chairs and any other surface that presents itself.
An open buffet in a port will never have the same appeal to me.
So true, and large birds leave large.....

This is not news, though, as this was reported on CC some months ago, at least prior to our departure for our last cruise at the end of March. On which there were no BBQs on the deck.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lizzie.
emailme
Fort Lauderdale, FL
10,230 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Perhaps this will put an end to the thousands of deck barbecue related deaths. There's nothing more dangerous than picnics. That's why we fill a pump sprayer with bleach and mist people trying to have lunch on blankets by the beach. They don't always appreciate it, but it's for their own good. And, their whites have never been whiter! Also their colors... But hey, safety is our number one priority.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
The mail thing: poa1 - at - instituteofcheer.com
Raleigh NC
24,634 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by POA1
Perhaps this will put an end to the thousands of deck barbecue related deaths. There's nothing more dangerous than picnics. That's why we fill a pump sprayer with bleach and mist people trying to have lunch on blankets by the beach. They don't always appreciate it, but it's for their own good. And, their whites have never been whiter! Also their colors... But hey, safety is our number one priority.
Yea, I am still trying to get my mind around the concept of helpful bureaucrats
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kirk

Future Cruises
HAL Prinsendam 12-18-2017 - Christmas on the Elegant Explorer
HAL Prinsendam 7-16-2018 - Four months on the Elegant Explorer
HAL Amsterdam 1-22-2019 - Grand World Voyage
106,646 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by Lizzie68

This is not news, though, as this was reported on CC some months ago, at least prior to our departure for our last cruise at the end of March. On which there were no BBQs on the deck.

AH -- I knew that someone had mentioned that the BBQ was gone in recent months.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Stopped counting a few years ago -- have done over 140 cruises.
Athens, GA
2,599 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Originally posted by KirkNC
Yea, I am still trying to get my mind around the concept of helpful bureaucrats
The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'

Ronald Reagan
40th president of US (1911 - 2004)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Zaandam W Caribbean 2000, Alaska 2006, Hawaii 2013 | Maasdam E Caribbean 2001, W Caribbean Christmas 2003, East Coast Relocation 2012 Southern Caribbean 2015| Zuiderdam E Caribbean 2003, W Caribbean 2004, E Caribbean 2005, Panama Canal 2010, Alaska and Full Panama Canal 2014 | Volendam E Caribbean 2007 | Westerdam E Caribbean 2008 | Ryndam W Caribbean 2009 | Noordam S Caribbean 2012 | Eurodam E Caribbean 2013 | Veendam Canada / New England 2014, Canada / New England 2016 | Oosterdam Southern Caribbean 2015 | Prinsendam Southern Caribbean Christmas/New Years 2016 | Koningsdam Eastern Caribbean 2017

I am umbilically connected to the temperate zone
It brought me life, it brought me love I never have outgrown
It brought me one too many nights along that Biscayne shore
And one too many mornings in the Grove Drug Store
Everybody's Got a Cousin in Miami
Jimmy Buffett, Michael Tcshudin
"America's Hometown": Prescott, AZ
1,902 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
In our County we do lot's of rodeos, outdoor concerts, the County fair, etc. Above and beyond the requirement for extra 'porta potties' the following units are used for vendors that do not have yearly approved Health Dept. food trucks, etc. These type units just get approval for the specific event / single permitting.

Hand wash sink: good for 300 hand washes for the culinary staff at a time between water refills, wastewater dumps:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/cro...255CVEHSE.html

Chill tables with sneeze guards (long utensils for grabbing prepped lettuce, tomatoes, etc.), & chilled with ice pans & temp.monitors:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/car...2716606FG.html

Just 'food' for thought. Cruise ship rules might be much more stringent than local communities obviously.

Be well.
Bob
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Life is good!
Fairbanks, Alaska
3,409 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
I disembarked Koningsdam Sunday after a 14 day Baltic cruise. There was no poolside barbecue.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Song of Norway, 1971, Bahamas
Imagination, 1/1996, W Caribbean
Imagination, 1/1998, W Caribbean
Song of America, 1/1999, Mexican Riviera
Jubilee, 1/2000, Panama Canal/S. America
Inspiration, 1/2001, W Caribbean
Enchantment of the Seas, 11/2002 - Back to back! E/W Caribbean
Carnival Conquest, 9/2003, W Caribbean
Island Princess, 12/2004, Hawaii
Coral Princess, 9/2006, Alaska
Brilliance of the Seas, 12/2007, Transatlantic
Norwegian Spirit, 1/2008, Central America, "Chubby's Party Cruise"
Carnival Legend, 11/2008, C America/W Caribbean
Carnival Conquest, 2/2009, W Caribbean, "Chubby's Party Cruise II"
Carnival Triumph, 1/4/2010, Yukatan Peninsula
Carnival Triumph, 1/9/2010, Bahamas/Key West, "Chubby's Party Cruise III"
Carnival Triumph, 2/2011, C America/W Caribbean, On board w/Grammy winners Chubby & friends
Statendam, 12/2011, Panama Canal
Carnival Miracle, 11/2014, Mexican Riviera
Carnival Miracle, 12/2014, Hawaii
Carnival Miracle, 1/31/2016, 13 Night Mexican Riviera
Carnival Legend, 5/2016, Honolulu to Vancouver
Carnival Miracle, 2/2017, Mexican Riviera
Koningsdam, 5/2017, Northern Europe/Russia
NEXT UP:
Caribbean Princess, 1/2018, Circle Caribbean
Carnival Pride, 1/2019, 14 night Southern Caribbean
New Brunswick, Canada
9,587 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by Lizzie68

Yes, 20 days and not a single BBQ---not that I missed having one as I have never been a fan of al fresco dining.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

email me

British Columbia
8,950 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
There were no poolside barbecues either on the Prinsendam last October/November, or the Zaandam in March/April. Things were advertised - such as the "gaucho barbecue" on Zaandam, but all the food was in the Lido Market. Disappointing, but I suppose it is also less work for the crew, as the Lido Market is already set up for food service.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ann
Albuquerque, New Mexico
12,641 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by 3rdGenCunarder
is this infraction specifically about cooking? What about the various poolside buffets that don't involve a grill?

On our Panama canal cruise, there were stations serving Panama buns all over the ship, definitely not near hand washing stations. I know that isn't in the US, but is that kind of thing a potential problem?
I'm wondering now if this ruling will or has had an affect on the "Taco Bar?" After all, it would seem to me that the Taco Bar would fall under the same ruling............

Hubby, can you ask about the Taco Bar? IF it is still exists?

Joanie
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email [email protected]

"To me a stranger is just a friend I have not yet met."

Our Personal Web Site for our cruises, photos, menus, activities, etc. http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/

Past Cruises
:

Brendisi-Piraeus Jun 83

Greek Islands Jun 85
Piraeus-Venice Dec 85
Oosterdam-
VA 5054-Alaska May 08
Westerdam-SA 7076-Alaska May 09
Westerdam-
VF 8154-Caribbean (E&S) Feb 10
Nieuw Amsterdam-
SC 6164-Caribbean (W) Nov 10
Oosterdam-SC 6166-Mexican Riviera Apr 11
Zuiderdam-SC 6166-Alaska Sept 11
Noordam-SB 7142-Caribbean (S) Mar 12
Nieuw Amsterdam-SC 6175-Caribbean (W) Nov 12
Westerdam-SA 7085-Caribbean (S) Dec 12
Zuiderdam-SC 5190-Alaska May 13
Zuiderdam-SC 6166-Panama Canal (PT) Nov 13
Westerdam-SC 5190-Alaska July 14
Westerdam-SS 6052-Alaska July 14
Nieuw Amsterdam-SB-5187-E/W Caribbean 7-21 Dec 15
Noordam-SB-7142-San Diego/Alaska 5-23 May 15
Oosterdam-SB-6166-Caribbean Wayfarer 16-27 Nov 15
Nieuw Amsterdam-SC 5186-San Diego to Alaska Inside Passage - 19 Days-25 Apr through May 14 2016
Zuiderdam-SB 5190-Panama Canal (Partial Transit) 20 November 2016
(FINAL Cruise due to HAL Smoking Policy Change)
4,686 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Originally posted by IRL_Joanie
I'm wondering now if this ruling will or has had an affect on the "Taco Bar?" After all, it would seem to me that the Taco Bar would fall under the same ruling............

Joanie
The permanent location of the Taco Bar from my recollection on various ships puts it under a permanently covered area so no danger of errant fly-over deposits, and closer to hand-washing facilities, along with its necessarily awkward sneeze guard.

Re-use serving utensils remain a problem, and the fact that some of the food is finger food - using chips to scoop up dips. Plus there is no on-going immediate staff supervision to pick up any potential passenger misuse or contamination breaches........ If one wants to start thinking like a CDC inspector.

I would also hate to see that one go too, it is a great late afternoon snack assembly. But it also looks like it might meet some of the concerns CDC registered about the more informal outdoor BBQ's.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
New Mexico
4,465 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by IRL_Joanie

Joanie
The Taco Bar is still on the Noordam.

Repeating the words of the Lido Manager, the "cooking" of food is limited to designated/certified kitchens.

There was a private party for one of the tour groups, with appetizers, on the aft Lido deck earlier on the cruise.

There is a steward hovering nearby to keep the Taco Bar clean and replenished.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Photo Reviews -OR--Menus, On Locations, and More

Oosterdam - Alaska - May 2008 (7 days)
Westerdam - Alaska - May 2009 (7 days)
Westerdam - Caribbean (Eastern & Southern) - Feb 2010 (14 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Caribbean (Western) - Nov 2010 (7 days)
Oosterdam - Mexican Riviera - April 2011 (7 days)
Zuiderdam - Alaska - Sep 2011 (B2B 14 days)
Noordam - Caribbean Seafarer - Mar 2012 (11 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Caribbean (Western) - Nov 2012 (7 days)
Westerdam - Caribbean (Southern) - Dec 2012 (7 days)
Zuiderdam - Alaska - May 2013 (B2B 14 days)
Zuiderdam - Panama Canal Sunfarer- Nov 2013 (10 days)
Westerdam - Alaska - Jul 2014 (B2B 4 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Dec 2014 Caribbean - (East-West 14 days)
Noordam - Pacific Coastal - May 2015 (5 days)
Noordam - Alaska - May 2015 (B2B 14 days)

Oosterdam - Southern Caribbean - Nov 2015
(11 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Pacific Coastal - Apr 2016 (5 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska Inside Passage - April 2016 (B2B 14 days)
Zuiderdam - Panama Canal - Nov 2016 (10 days)
Noordam - Alaska - Jun 2017 (Northbound includes Denali) (12 days)
Veendam - Caribbean - Dec 2017 (14 days)
Zaandam - Alaska - May 2017 (14 days)

Nieuw Statendam - Caribbean - Jan 2019 (14 days)

2,313 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
Innlady1,

Was the seagull incident by any chance while docked in San Diego several years ago? I became an overnight ship "celebrity" by the entertainment a seagull provided swooping down (suddenly, as swooping birds do) and taking a chicken leg right off my plate. (I was eating lunch on the back, outside deck of the Lido.) He/she then had the nerve to land about 10 feet from me on the deck and devour the chicken meat. A number of folks saw it and we all had a great laugh. One thing nice about being on a ship is that I simply dumped my plate in the wash bin and got myself another lunch.

2,313 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
Last year (2016) the laws in at least our state changed and outdoor cooked restaurant barbecues were no longer allowed. Food can now be served outside, but it must be prepared in a certified indoor kitchen. Rules about sneeze guards have also increased for the food when served outside. Apparently the new Rules do not apply to family barbecues, only when the food is sold to the general public. At least this is the story told by restaurants effected by the changes.
Western Washington
5,017 Posts
Joined Aug 2001
Was looking forward to seeing how they cooked the Salmon. Not that I would miss it much, we eat it a couple times a week but always looking for new techniques and preparations.

Wonder if they could cook it outside (with proper cover) and serve it inside where tacos are. Might be an excuse for cost cutting because if they really wanted to serve it there would be a way.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
HAL - Oosterdam - June 11, 2017, Alaska
RCCL - Mariner of the Seas - May 2012 - TA Miami to Rome
RCCL - Serenade of the Seas February 12, 2011 - So. Caribbean
RCCL - Brilliance of the Seas- April 13, 2008 TA Miami to London
HAL - Veendam - June 16, 2002, Alaska
At the moment I have half a mind to go look for the rest
4,686 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Originally posted by Sequim88;53259523
Wonder if they could cook it outside (with proper cover) and serve it inside where tacos are. [B
Might be an excuse for cost cutting because if they really wanted to serve it there would be a way[/b].
Maybe HAL did not want the screaming headlines: CDC reports HAL staff with unwashed hands serves pigeon poop outdoor buffets to their passengers. You know how the media works these days.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
3,676 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Originally posted by Vict0riann
There were no poolside barbecues either on the Prinsendam last October/November...
I attended at least two poolside BBQ's on the Athens to Ft. Lauderdale legs,Vict0riann. I detailed my disappointment with the "Mediterranean BBQ" leaving Larnaca above and on my live blog. I pigged out at the "Parrillada con Paella BBQ" leaving Lisbon. My On Location also shows "Kebab Under the Stars after Haifa. That was a fantastic cruise.
Georgia
7,909 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
The world is full of so called professional who don't know squat.
Incorrect. There are some occasional instances of accredited professionals who aren't up to the standards of accreditation. There world is not "full" of such people. The generalized and callous disregard for the expertise and diligence of what is overwhelming a set of good people a good job is petty and offensive.

Common sense doesn't apply just their ever tighter oversight.
Common sense is indeed what applies to such oversight. People need to avoid mistaking their own personal sense for common sense. Common sense can legitimately only stem from a preponderance of informed and accountable perspective.

Who's next on the hit list for generalized and callous disregard for expertise and diligence? Perhaps the good folks who inspect aircraft? It's really quite chilling to see such casually disparaging statements being thrown around about people who protect the public health.

Originally posted by OlsSalt
Maybe HAL did not want the screaming headlines: CDC reports HAL staff with unwashed hands serves pigeon poop outdoor buffets to their passengers. You know how the media works these days.
Good point. The way many people causally latch onto any mud-slinging presented by the news (or semi-news sources), even, "Holland America doesn't take action in response to CDC warning about danger," could directly affect shareholder value.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
11/11/2017 Carnival Magic (W. Caribbean) [Roll Call]
6/30/2018 ms Nieuw Amsterdam (Alaska) [Roll Call]
"Sour people suffer sour lives."