Are solo cruisers being discriminated by CUNARD?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:53 AM.
Chester, UK
1,336 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by travelberlin
Thanks John for your answer. I am looking at the Norwegian Fiords cruise with the Queen Elizabeth on August 11th, 2017. Nine nights from Southhampton.
Oceanview per person is US 1199. This means for two people is about US 2.500 including taxes and fees. But if booking solo, it comes a price of almost US 4.500 for same ocean view category including taxes and fees.
On the UK website, that cruise is showing the following prices:

Cheapest Oceanview (Double): £1349 ( $1713) per person, i.e. £2698 ( $3426 ) per cabin

Cheapest Oceanview (Sole): £2229 ( $2808 ) per person, i.e. £2229 ( $2808 ) per cabin

So that's a 165% solo increase.

Therefor your US figures are very different from the UK figures for a solo occupancy ( $2808 v $4500 ).
Cork
932 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
Originally posted by Austcruiser84
Yes, but the baby is surely a loss for shipboard revenue as it can't drink as much as an adult?
That is assuming that all adults spend money on board. I think there must be a large range of what people spend from close to $0 to $000's. And when someone books they can't know which one you'll be.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

02-07-2015 Norwegian Getaway
10-04-2014 Norwegian Jade
08-10-2013 Crown Princess
3,466 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Thanks John for your answer. I am looking at the Norwegian Fiords cruise with the Queen Elizabeth on August 11th, 2017. Nine nights from Southhampton.
Oceanview per person is US 1199. This means for two people is about US 2.500 including taxes and fees. But if booking solo, it comes a price of almost US 4.500 for same ocean view category including taxes and fees.
I'd be inclined to call Cunard and check that really is the fare and not a typo.

David
UK
231 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Originally posted by ToadOfToadHall
On the UK website, that cruise is showing the following prices:

Cheapest Oceanview (Double): £1349 ( $1713) per person, i.e. £2698 ( $3426 ) per cabin

Cheapest Oceanview (Sole): £2229 ( $2808 ) per person, i.e. £2229 ( $2808 ) per cabin

So that's a 165% solo increase.

Therefor your US figures are very different from the UK figures for a solo occupancy ( $2808 v $4500 ).
To be precise, it's an increase OF 65% or an increase TO 165% - not a 165% increase, which would take it to about $4500 (as it happens).
Iowa
1,184 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Hi again, travelberlin.

Cunard's U.S. web site does indeed advertise a base fare of $1199 per person double occupancy for a category FC Oceanview cabin on voyage Q726. However, that fare can only be obtained by entering promotional code RGS during the booking process on Cunard's U.S. web site. Here are the base fares I am seeing on cunard.com with and without entering that promotional code.

With promotional code RGS
Base fare per person for two passengers: $1199
Base fare per person for one passenger: $2273

Without promotional code RGS
Base fare per person for two passengers: $2551
Base fare per person for one passenger: $4464

I trust this helps clarify the situation. This often happens on cunard.com when promotions are being run. In those situations, the fares one sees advertised on the web site cannot actually be obtained without knowing a promotional code to enter to activate that promotional pricing.

Regards,
John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017)
Chester, UK
1,336 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by Teddy123
To be precise, it's an increase OF 65% or an increase TO 165% - not a 165% increase, which would take it to about $4500 (as it happens).
Indeed. The solo fare has a 65% supplement, which means it's 165% of the fare in question.
United Kingdom
19 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
Just to add some good news: Cunard UK have allowed me to amend my booking to add a travelling companion to my Solo booking without losing my deposit. It cost me an extra £199 for the second person on the 12 day Canary cruise in December
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Andy

Queen Victoria 3rd Nov 2015
Queen Elizabeth 24th Oct 2016
Queen Elizabeth 11th Dec 2017
Queen Mary II Nov 2018
Cork
932 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
Good news. I am sure you will have a great time 😀

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

02-07-2015 Norwegian Getaway
10-04-2014 Norwegian Jade
08-10-2013 Crown Princess
1,200 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Originally posted by kerryincork
No it hasn't time and again we read on these boards that babies are charged full price or a reduced rate and the argument is that baby is taking a place in a life boat that an adult could have.

Or a person is booked in a 3 person cabin but are unable to add an extra guest as their muster station is full.

If this argument is true by having one person less in one cabin means you can have one extra person in another cabin. So saying the cruise line is loosing money is nonsense by this reasoning.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app
Sorry but that is a weak and unrealistic argument.

For your scenario to work you need someone​ to want to book a three when you have already allowed someone to book a solo with no supplement, and this over occupancy to occur at the same muster station.

That is going to fail to happen more times than it succeeds.
Home
1,903 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by bluemarble
Hi again, travelberlin.

Cunard's U.S. web site does indeed advertise a base fare of $1199 per person double occupancy for a category FC Oceanview cabin on voyage Q726. However, that fare can only be obtained by entering promotional code RGS during the booking process on Cunard's U.S. web site. Here are the base fares I am seeing on cunard.com with and without entering that promotional code.

With promotional code RGS
Base fare per person for two passengers: $1199
Base fare per person for one passenger: $2273

Without promotional code RGS
Base fare per person for two passengers: $2551
Base fare per person for one passenger: $4464

I trust this helps clarify the situation. This often happens on cunard.com when promotions are being run. In those situations, the fares one sees advertised on the web site cannot actually be obtained without knowing a promotional code to enter to activate that promotional pricing.

Regards,
John
Yes John this clarifies the situation indeed. Thanks for your answer.
Iowa
1,184 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Yes John this clarifies the situation indeed. Thanks for your answer.
You're very welcome, travelberlin.

Having to know promotional codes to get the lowest fares is pretty much confined to Cunard's web site and perhaps one or two other travel web sites I have run into over the years. Most of the time, the major U.S. cruise booking web sites will automatically show you promotional pricing without you having to know any promotional codes.

Regards,
John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017)
127 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
I have been looking at prices of some cruises with Cunard for double occupancy and for solo occupancy. For example a cruise to the Norwegian Fiords in August, a cabin for double occupancy costs about US 2500. The same cabin for solo occupancy costs about US 4500.

This is the first time I see such solo supplements on a cruise line. Is this common practice now with Cunard?
I seem to have the same glitch on my Cunard online access, that is why, this time I ended up phoning them and speaking to an agent who gave me the correct prices. The price for two is shown as doubled EACH, so I take it with a grain of salt, until I really want to book. Hope it works out for you, travelling solo is so expensive, hotel room for one, full price, taxis same.
Market Harborough, UK
759 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
I would recommend approaching Travel Agents when searching for solo fares. I think Travel Agents can be given fares that Cunard would not offer themselves. On one occasion I was offered a QG suite solo for very little increase over the per person price - always do some research you never know what you may find.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Trevor Lake
Home
1,903 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by laktex
I would recommend approaching Travel Agents when searching for solo fares. I think Travel Agents can be given fares that Cunard would not offer themselves. On one occasion I was offered a QG suite solo for very little increase over the per person price - always do some research you never know what you may find.
The first thing I did was approach the travel agent. She could not provide better prices than those I have described.
Home
1,903 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by kunnocat
In Australia at the moment I am struggling to find any cruise line with a reduction in the single supplement. One popular online agency that I have used before, has prices, but when you go to book it comes up sold out. Why don't they say so in the first place. My cruising days will be coming to an end if this is so, unless I can find someone to sail with. A sad time for all solo passengers. It is not always our choice to sail solo, but necessity. K
As I cruise solo many times, I understand what you mean. Cruise lines where you can find reduced solo supplements are Azamara, Oceania and Crystal. Have a look at their web pages for their offers for solo travelers. Oceania just came with some cruises with reduced supplements. Both ships from Azamara are also offering the discounts. I am booked on some. But still I would like to book Cunard. We will see...
Timonium, Maryland
3,943 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Cunard now has solo passenger staterooms. They get snatched up quickly and are only for one passenger (one bed) and you can't add a second passenger later. The rates for these cabins are about 150% of the cruise rate. If the ship is filling up- the solo cabin rates do go up. It's supply and demand.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda 5/14/17 Regal Princess, 3/19/17 Holland America Veendam Canada/New England 4/28/16-5/7/16, Regal Princess 3/27/16 Eastern Caribbean, Holland America Maasdam Canada New England 8/15/15, Celebrity Summit Bermuda 7/26/15 Star Princess Alaska 7/13/15 Norwegian Pearl Pacific Coast 5/3/2014 My Birthday! Celebrity Solstice Alaska 5/8/2014Enchantment of the Seas 12/6/13 Bahamas, Grand Princess Alaska 7/19/13, Celebrity Solstice California Coast 5/13, Serenade of the Seas Western Med (1/4/13)Celebrity Summit Bermuda(8/12/12),Celebrity Infinity Alaska 7/6/12
Caribbean Princess New England (8/11), Holland America Maasdam New England (6/11)Celebrity Equinox Norway (7/09), Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas (4/09) Grand Princess British Isles (08) Holland America Zuiderdam Greece/ Turkey (08) Oceania Regatta Caribbean Southern Caribbean (08) QM2 Transatlantic (07) Celebrity Millenium Western Med (7/07), Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas Eastern Caribbean(4/06), Disney Wonder Bahamas (8/05), Celebrity Constellation (4/06), Sapphire Princess Alaska (5/24/05) Celebrity Millenium Transatlantic (5/1/05), NCL Spirit Eastern Caribbean (3/05), Celebrity Galaxy (10/04), Carnival Victory (6/04), Celebrity Zenith Bermuda (10/01), Celebrity Zenith Eastern Caribbean (4/01),NCL Dynasty (12/00) NCL Sky Alaska (7/00), NCL Wind Alaska (5/98), Crown Princess Pacific repo (5/98), Royal Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas (10/97), Costa Victoria Western Caribbean (3/97), Crown Princess Alaska (6/96), Vera Cruz Christmas (1981), Holland America Volendam Christmas (1980), Holland America Veendam Christmas (1975).

Upcoming cruises: Celebrity Summit New England//Canada 6/27/17, QM2 Cunard 7/28/17, Explorer of the Seas Seattle to Sydney 10/06/17
[/size]
Home
1,903 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by rebeccalouiseagain
Cunard now has solo passenger staterooms. They get snatched up quickly and are only for one passenger (one bed) and you can't add a second passenger later. The rates for these cabins are about 150% of the cruise rate. If the ship is filling up- the solo cabin rates do go up. It's supply and demand.
Are this normal size rooms? I have heard from cabins at Norwegian or Royal, where there are mini cabins.
Timonium, Maryland
3,943 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
The solo cabins are on deck 2 on all of the fleet (and there are more on deck 3 of QM2) and are approximately 160 square feet. They majority of these are outside cabins (very few inside solo cabins) So you pay approximately 150% of what an outside cabin runs per person. However, you have to book early because I notice the price goes up really quickly on these- even if they are available. For instance I'm doing a TA in a regular outside (paying double occupancy) because I waited too long and the solo cabin wasn't available. Having said that- I have an outside "guarantee"- so when it gets closer to the date- perhaps I will be assigned to one of the solo cabins if one opens up. BTW- I did the solo cabin on Norwegian and it was 99 square ft- and it was great! I loved it. Great comfortable double bed, clean, bright, plenty of storage for one person. Nice solo passenger lounge- with complimentary coffee machine (cappicino, espresso, etc) fruit, cookies and cake. It was at the end of the hall from my cabin and it was nice to fix a cup of coffee without having to run up to the buffet or down to the restaurants. I highly recommend. https://ask.cunard.com/help/fleet/single_cabins
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda 5/14/17 Regal Princess, 3/19/17 Holland America Veendam Canada/New England 4/28/16-5/7/16, Regal Princess 3/27/16 Eastern Caribbean, Holland America Maasdam Canada New England 8/15/15, Celebrity Summit Bermuda 7/26/15 Star Princess Alaska 7/13/15 Norwegian Pearl Pacific Coast 5/3/2014 My Birthday! Celebrity Solstice Alaska 5/8/2014Enchantment of the Seas 12/6/13 Bahamas, Grand Princess Alaska 7/19/13, Celebrity Solstice California Coast 5/13, Serenade of the Seas Western Med (1/4/13)Celebrity Summit Bermuda(8/12/12),Celebrity Infinity Alaska 7/6/12
Caribbean Princess New England (8/11), Holland America Maasdam New England (6/11)Celebrity Equinox Norway (7/09), Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas (4/09) Grand Princess British Isles (08) Holland America Zuiderdam Greece/ Turkey (08) Oceania Regatta Caribbean Southern Caribbean (08) QM2 Transatlantic (07) Celebrity Millenium Western Med (7/07), Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas Eastern Caribbean(4/06), Disney Wonder Bahamas (8/05), Celebrity Constellation (4/06), Sapphire Princess Alaska (5/24/05) Celebrity Millenium Transatlantic (5/1/05), NCL Spirit Eastern Caribbean (3/05), Celebrity Galaxy (10/04), Carnival Victory (6/04), Celebrity Zenith Bermuda (10/01), Celebrity Zenith Eastern Caribbean (4/01),NCL Dynasty (12/00) NCL Sky Alaska (7/00), NCL Wind Alaska (5/98), Crown Princess Pacific repo (5/98), Royal Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas (10/97), Costa Victoria Western Caribbean (3/97), Crown Princess Alaska (6/96), Vera Cruz Christmas (1981), Holland America Volendam Christmas (1980), Holland America Veendam Christmas (1975).

Upcoming cruises: Celebrity Summit New England//Canada 6/27/17, QM2 Cunard 7/28/17, Explorer of the Seas Seattle to Sydney 10/06/17
[/size]
NYC
3,661 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by rebeccalouiseagain
.... BTW- I did the solo cabin on Norwegian and it was 99 square ft- and it was great! I loved it. Great comfortable double bed, clean, bright, plenty of storage for one person. Nice solo passenger lounge- with complimentary coffee machine (cappicino, espresso, etc) fruit, cookies and cake. It was at the end of the hall from my cabin and it was nice to fix a cup of coffee without having to run up to the buffet or down to the restaurants. I highly recommend...
Depends on what one likes. NCL is much more casual than Cunard and has "freestyle" dining. I would not want dine alone or to have to seek out dining companions every day. Cunard will mix solos with couples at large tables. If a solo comes in alone for breakfast or lunch and says that he or she will share, the Maitre D' will seat him or her with others. On most NCL ships dining companions have to enter the dining room together.

(The Studio Lounges do have their problems especially when solos are traveling as part of a larger group. The solo lets in couples who drink the coffee and find it's a great place to hang out. Or they let it kids who devour the cookies and act like kids.)
Timonium, Maryland
3,943 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Actually in response to the post about dining alone on NCL- One of the great things is the interaction with the solo passengers. You run into other single passengers in the studio lounge, which was quiet and there really were not kids in there. Only once was a tiny four year in there and he was quiet and just walked through with an adult. So I don't think that one has to worry about that. You can only get into the Lounge with your room key- so anyone coming in would have to be accompanied by a studio passenger. There is a group meet up - every night at 5PM in the studio lounge- led by a dedicated crew member (part of the activities staff). From there the entire group dines together. I did this twice on my cruise, but it was available to passengers every night. Sometimes I didn't want to eat at 5:30- so that's why I didn't go, but it was great fun when I did. Many of the single passengers hung out with each other throughout the cruise- so it was easy to meet other singles and if you wanted to dine with one of them- they would be happy to comply. NCL is very casual, but I really had a good time. I like all the lines- each offers a different experience. Having the solo cabins is a real plus though- makes it more affordable for sure.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

[/size]