Thinking of a 2019 voyage on QM2?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:46 AM.
USA
9,356 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by Underwatr
My thought is, why would they bother removing them? Their objective is accomplished by only booking a maximum of two passengers in the room, and a passenger would be hard pressed to claim that the rectangular hatch in the ceiling detracted from their experience.
Ok, I'll take the bait.

Anyone who could open those ceiling beds would be able to store any number of substances there, undetected. But I'm sure Cunard security has already thought of that and those drop down ceiling beds are checked prior to embarkation, and prior to disembarkation. Perhaps even at port stops? I don't know - Maybe they are dead weight and a security concern. Or maybe just something not to be bothered about, as Underwatr suggested.
20 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Originally posted by Salacia
Ok, I'll take the bait.

Anyone who could open those ceiling beds would be able to store any number of substances there, undetected. But I'm sure Cunard security has already thought of that and those drop down ceiling beds are checked prior to embarkation, and prior to disembarkation. Perhaps even at port stops? I don't know - Maybe they are dead weight and a security concern. Or maybe just something not to be bothered about, as Underwatr suggested.
I would guess that they're locked shut with a lock and key.
USA
9,356 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by abefroman329
I would guess that they're locked shut with a lock and key.
I think that's most likely - doesn't mean the locks can't be picked (like when my car was stolen several years ago - it too was locked.)
Pennsylvania
5,336 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
I don't get the security concern with unused bunks being potentially accessible to a determined passenger. How do you propose whatever it is that's being hidden up in the bunks gets onboard in the first place, and how is that situation different now than when the cabin was available for bookings of 1, 2, 3, or 4 passengers?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
USA
9,356 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by Underwatr
I don't get the security concern with unused bunks being potentially accessible to a determined passenger. How do you propose whatever it is that's being hidden up in the bunks gets onboard in the first place, and how is that situation different now than when the cabin was available for bookings of 1, 2, 3, or 4 passengers?
This is starting to sound like Monty Python's "Argument Clinic" rather than a discussion. (For those who haven't see the skit, here it is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y )

There are sites on the web that will give instructions on how to smuggle things onboard cruise ships if you're interested. Since Cruise Crititc isn't one of those sites, I can't answer your first question. As regards to your second question: when the overhead births were used (presumably with some regularity), the steward would open and close the bed on a daily basis. How often they are opened and checked now, I have no idea.

Lastly, I refer you to my post #21.

Salacia