Missed Port Claim

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:08 PM.
11 Posts
Joined May 2016
Hi all
Oriana is unable to dock this morning at Corfu due to strong winds.

My travel insurance says I need to have in writing the reason that we couldn't dock. Is this something I have to contact P&O for or will the reception on board give me something?

I've never claimed on my insurance before, but saw I am covered for missed ports

Thanks all for your help
UK
178 Posts
Joined May 2009
We missed out Cartagena recently on our Ventura cruise due to bad weather. I went to reception who already had printed letters for passengers. We claimed on our insurance. Very easy.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Serenade of the Seas - Caribbean - 2010
Saga Sapphire - One night taster - 2012
P and O Aurora - Mini cruise 2013
P and O Azura - Norwegian Fjords 3 May 2014
P and O Ventura Iberia March 2017
3,444 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by silversurf
We missed out Cartagena recently on our Ventura cruise due to bad weather. I went to reception who already had printed letters for passengers. We claimed on our insurance. Very easy.
Never thought of that about claiming on insurance.
hampshire england
1,333 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
You may be able to claim on your travel insurance if it includes cover for missed ports due to whatever reason. You will not be able to claim through P&O. In their terms and conditions it states that ports may be missed due to weather conditions - hardly P&O's fault if the weather prohibits a stop if the Captain considers the weather makes it too hazardous to stop. The only time P&O will give any compensation is if the stop is prohibited due to something wrong with the ship. We received £100 per passenger when we were on Arcadia several years ago and we couldn't leave New Orleans as one of the azipods wasn't working and we were a day late leaving and as a consequence had to miss out the port of Key West. When we eventually left New Orleans the following afternoon by the time we got back to our cabin after dinner there was a letter waiting from the Captain apologising for what had happened and telling us about the £100 which was added to our On Board Credit.
Yorkshire
386 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
I'm not familiar with P&O's pricing structure, but on US lines where port fees are itemised and charged for per person within the overall price of the cruise, if you miss a port you can ask that the port fees be refunded. They only do this if it is requested and not automatically to every passenger.
3,444 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by Baronoli
Remembered reading it in the policy wording
I check the basics are correct but i am guilty of not reading the many pages of small print.
3,444 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by annieuk
You may be able to claim on your travel insurance if it includes cover for missed ports due to whatever reason. You will not be able to claim through P&O. In their terms and conditions it states that ports may be missed due to weather conditions - hardly P&O's fault if the weather prohibits a stop if the Captain considers the weather makes it too hazardous to stop. The only time P&O will give any compensation is if the stop is prohibited due to something wrong with the ship. We received £100 per passenger when we were on Arcadia several years ago and we couldn't leave New Orleans as one of the azipods wasn't working and we were a day late leaving and as a consequence had to miss out the port of Key West. When we eventually left New Orleans the following afternoon by the time we got back to our cabin after dinner there was a letter waiting from the Captain apologising for what had happened and telling us about the £100 which was added to our On Board Credit.
New years eve 2015 we could not get into Amsterdam canal on Ventura because​ of high winds and we sailed slowly through the channel but no compensation from P&O.
In April on RC Independence we could not dock in Le Havre so they took us to Rotterdam.
Milton Keynes, England
1,830 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
We had £100 OBC because we missed Bora Bora due to propulsion problems. We also missed Samoa and Boracay, because of weather problems, so no OBC. All on different cruises and each time I forgot to claim
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mick - 361 nights at sea and 130 to come.

Transylvania - Black Sea - 7 Nights - 1972
Independence Of The Seas - Mediterranean - 14 Nights - Sept 2011
Jewel Of The Seas - Baltic - 12 Nights - June 2012
Celebrity Millennium - Alaska - 7 Nights - Sept 2012
Aurora - World Circumnavigation - 106 Nights - Jan 2013
Adventure Of The Seas - Iceland and Norway - 12 nights - Sept 2013
Norwegian Epic - Eastern Caribbean - 7 nights - Jan 2014
Serenade Of The Seas - Venice - 12 nights - June 2014
Oasis of the Seas - Transatlantic - 12 nights - October 2014
Aurora - South America and Pacific - 105 nights - January 2015
Britannia - Norway - 7 nights - July 2015
Anthem of the Seas - Canaries - 13 nights - September 2015
Ovation of the Seas - Barcelona - 7 nights - May 2016
Celebrity Summit - Canada & New England - 14 nights - September 2016
Ventura - Canaries Christmas - 12 Nights - December 2016
Celebrity Constellation - Vietnam & Philippines - 14 Nights - February 2017
16,395 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Originally posted by silversurf
Thanks. I guess I need to check the fine prints of my insurance if it is included.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app
2,784 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Originally posted by Tom Baker
I'm not familiar with P&O's pricing structure, but on US lines where port fees are itemised and charged for per person within the overall price of the cruise, if you miss a port you can ask that the port fees be refunded. They only do this if it is requested and not automatically to every passenger.
Pando don't refund port taxes. Different cruise lines different t and c.
1 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
We have just returned from a cruise where we missed 2 out of 3 island stops due to bad weather. I heard on the ship that we can claim for this and we received the letter from P&O to assist the claim. However I've spoken to our insurance company, we had the cruise package included in our cover but apparently missed shore stops are not covered unless you had pre paid tours booked?? Does anyone know if this is correct? Never cruised previously to this so I have no idea how it all works.
764 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by Tom Baker
On our last cruise with Princess in the Caribbean we missed a port, and the port fees were automatically added to out obc without having to make a request.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app
UK
178 Posts
Joined May 2009
Not got my sea legs.

It depends on your policy, ours had missed port cover. If you have pre booked excursions with P and O they will refund the cost, although we had to wait several weeks to get our refund.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Serenade of the Seas - Caribbean - 2010
Saga Sapphire - One night taster - 2012
P and O Aurora - Mini cruise 2013
P and O Azura - Norwegian Fjords 3 May 2014
P and O Ventura Iberia March 2017
Scotland
594 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
I get a sense that there are a lot more missed ports than there were years ago. You always missed the very odd port for bad weather ( perfectly understandable) but more recently both in my own experience and reading here and other boards there appear to be many more that are not weather related.

Perhaps we just hear about it more and more quickly via social media or the pressure on docking due to the increase in ships is a factor however that is not the passengers problem.

While I have no problem with the Captain deciding not to go somewhere if the weather is poor it does get annoying if it appears to be poor admin or the company (not necessarily P&O) being cheap and being out bid for a decent / any berth.

As pax can now easily check the situation with the port authorities it is easy to find out if the dock was ever actually booked or if the alongside had actually always beenintended as a tender port (but was never advertised as that.)

In terms of insurance people having to make more claims will push up insurance costs eventually. The insurance companies may even start to fight back in the non weather related cases if they get enough claims.
11 Posts
Joined May 2016
Thanks all for your feedback.

We are now missing the replacement port of Cartagena! Is it possible to claim for a replacement port being missed too? My insurance just says "£100 per missed port"

Again I've never claimed before on any insurance in my life!

Thanks
uk
79 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
Originally posted by Baronoli
Thanks all for your feedback.

We are now missing the replacement port of Cartagena! Is it possible to claim for a replacement port being missed too? My insurance just says "£100 per missed port"

Again I've never claimed before on any insurance in my life!

Thanks
I think we were on this cruise......funny how they found time and expense to print off flyers for excursions in Cartagena, .....and then cancel it?.......nice of the Captain to give us half a glass of "champagne " though