Best Packing List Ever

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:14 AM.
Sydney Au
906 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Apart from the obvious is there anything "special' or "odd" that we should take. (I can hardly wait for some of the answers). Seriously, I read somewhere to take duct tape. Why?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Maxx

Explorer of the Seas March 6 2016
Carnival Spirit Nov 2013 - sailed
Rhapsody of the Seas 25/9/12 - sailed
Pacific Dawn Sept 2011 - sailed
Pacific Jewel 6/9/10 - sailed
Pacific Sun 26/8/10 - sailed
Pacific Dawn 19/8/10 - sailed
Superstar Virgo 19/8/08 - sailed
437 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
OK...
The only thing that i would recommend taking is a power board if you have multiple Ipods, video camera's etc that you might like to charge as there was only 1 power point on the Sun.

Ummm ear plugs if you share with someone who snores??

Cheers,
Dan
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Diamond Princess - Auckland to Sydney - Dec 29th
SYDNEY
888 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
AQUA SHOES ARE A MUST especially on the islands where the sand is coral _ everyone's feet were hurting trying to walk into the water. I wore those shoes every where and always recommend them to friends who are first time cruisers.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Oriana Dec 1975 Sth pacific
Fairstar Feb 1977 Sth Pacific
Oriana Sept 1982 Sydney to Tahiti
Oriana Mar 1983 Cherry Blossom 6 weeks
Fair Princess 2000 Sth pacific
Pacific Sky 2002 Sth pacific
Pacific Sky Nov 2003 Sth Pacific
Pacific Sky Mar 2004 Sth pacific
Sapphire Mar 2005 Sydney to Bangkok
Pacific Sun Dec 2005 pacif islands
Sapphire Princess Jan 2007 New Zealand
Sun Princess Sept 2007 Seattle to Sydney
Dawn Princess April 2009 Sydney to Hawaii back to Sydney 35 days
Diamond Princess April 2010 Bejing to Vancouver
Sun Princess August 2010 30 Days Asian Odessey
Sun Princess September 2011 42 days Cherry Blossom
2012 the world Sun Princess
2013 The World Sea Princess
2014 papua new guinea/islands dawn princess
2015 the world sea princess
Brisbane
4,730 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Originally posted by NARELLE
AQUA SHOES ARE A MUST especially on the islands where the sand is coral _ everyone's feet were hurting trying to walk into the water. I wore those shoes every where and always recommend them to friends who are first time cruisers.
Very good suggestion, especially if your cruise is going to Emerald Bay/Divine Island - where the beach is a dead coral beach. You only make the mistake of trying to walk on the beach there with no shoes on once.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Christmas & New Year South Pacific (12 nights)

__________________________________________________ ___

Pacific Sky, Pacific Star (2), Pacific Sun (5), Pacific Dawn (4), Pacific Jewel, Pacific Pearl (2), Celebrity Millennium, Celebrity Solstice, Rhapsody of the Seas, Aurora (2)
Queensland
1,516 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Hi Maxx,

I gave the below packing list we put together to a "virgin" cruiser friend and think it is quite helpful.

Cheers,
Chaz

Things to pack…
q Tickets & passports!!
q Small torch
q Non electric alarm clock (try to avoid ones that tick!!!)
q Febreeze (fabric spray), if travelling on Star take Fabulon Iron Free too
q Any medications required (note: as per all other travel advice always carry on prescription medication; also suggest Panadol, motion sickness tablets, bandaids, etc)
q Small sewing kit
q Lanyards (save $7 each)
q Room freshener
q Water bottles (can buy water for $2 per 600ml bottle or $3.50 per 1.5 litre, but free water is available on both Star & Sun 24/7 to fill your own bottles)
q Backpack (useful for island stops and shopping!) or overnight bag (suitcases must go out the night before arrival into Brisbane, need something to carry those last minute items)
q Comfy shoes to wear on board
q Camera, films and spare battery if you haven’t changed it for a while (underwater cameras are good if you plan to snorkel and often can be picked up cheaply before you go, these were sold on a good special on board so may want to wait if you aren't sure you want one or not)
q Swimmers, sunscreen & shady hat
Nice to haves…
q Reef shoes (about $10 from Big W)
q Cheap accessories for Island night (flowers for hair, leis, etc). Can buy on board and at the island but often is cheaper to pick up at Crazy Clarks or you might already have!!
q Small handbag to carry everything around during the day. I bought a crocheted one from Crazy Clarks for about $3 which I take every cruise.
q Wet ones - good to use on the islands
If you already have don’t forget…
q Binoculars
You probably won’t need…
q Board games etc - the library usually has a large range of games for use including Monopoly, Scrabble, Jenga, playing cards (including Cribbage boards & 500 decks).
q Soap
q Towels - small beach towels supplied and changed when needed
Luggage tips…
q When attaching the labels supplied by P&O ensure you peel off both sides and stick together.
q Make sure every bag has an additional name tag attached in case the one supplied by P&O falls off. Your bag should then find it’s way to your cabin and you won’t have to look for it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
22 cruises down & not sure what is next!!
Fair Princess x2, Pacific Sky x2, Pacific Sun, Pacific Star x3, Pacific Dawn x5, Rhapsody of the Seas x3, Oriana (ok the Oriana cruise was only two nights!), Sun Princess x3, Sapphire Princess, Voyager of the Seas

<SMALL></SMALL>
Newcastle/Hunter Valley NSW
2,114 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
A brilliant list, thanks very much.

....Trying to get time off work today for the 12 day cruise on June 9th on the Sun.......... our first.

35 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
THANK YOU For that list.
I have copied it and put it away for when its needed
Save me trying to find it later when i need it. have a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG wait
Queensland
1,516 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by pixie01
THANK YOU For that list.
I have copied it and put it away for when its needed
Save me trying to find it later when i need it. have a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG wait
Hi Pixie,

You will be surprised how quickly your time will come!! Especially as your excitement builds. The thing I love about this site is it is somewhere to come and "chat" with people who are fanatical about cruising and it helps your excitement build rather than talking to other people who just make the usual "jealous" comments and find it hard to get excited with you. You will see people come and go from their cruise and before you know it your time comes.

We are looking at booking the Easter 2007 cruise. It seems so long away but really isn't that long to go!! Just think there are people out there that don't have any cruises planned and they have even longer to go or worse still are missing out altogether!!

Cheers,
Chaz
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Fair Princess x2, Pacific Sky x2, Pacific Sun, Pacific Star x3, Pacific Dawn x5, Rhapsody of the Seas x3, Oriana (ok the Oriana cruise was only two nights!), Sun Princess x3, Sapphire Princess, Voyager of the Seas

<SMALL></SMALL>
368 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
I tie colourful material on the handles of our bags as when they unload them after getting back from your trip, a LOT of people have the same bags as you. I even put them on my carry on luggage and handbags as when they go through the x-ray machines they are easy to spot. Sometimes they come out the other end with other peoples
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P424 Pacific Sky 2004
P524 Pacific Sky 2005
P602N Pacific Sky 2006
H702 Sapphire Princess - 2007 Sydney-Auckland
N829 Pacific Sun 2008 - Auckland -Brisbane
N011N Pacific Sun 2010
P118 Pacific Pearl 2011 - Sunshine Odyssey
35 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Originally posted by chaz cruiser
Hi Pixie,

You will be surprised how quickly your time will come!! Especially as your excitement builds. The thing I love about this site is it is somewhere to come and "chat" with people who are fanatical about cruising and it helps your excitement build rather than talking to other people who just make the usual "jealous" comments and find it hard to get excited with you. You will see people come and go from their cruise and before you know it your time comes.

We are looking at booking the Easter 2007 cruise. It seems so long away but really isn't that long to go!! Just think there are people out there that don't have any cruises planned and they have even longer to go or worse still are missing out altogether!!

Cheers,
Chaz
The excitement is deffientely building with great speed! I love reading other people's posts as they are preparing for their trips. it almost seems like you are going as well...almost. very exciting. I know my time will fly very quickly...i can't believe that from when i first discovered this site not long ago there has already been a few people that have gone and come back already!!!! Can't believe Jan is almost over.
We have a land based holiday planned in March this year and some how that pales in comparison to the cruise one next year.

Will you be going on the star or the sun for the easter one?
Queensland
1,516 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by pixie01
Will you be going on the star or the sun for the easter one?
We will be going on the Star. The most exciting thing (after the fact that it is someone's 50th on Easter Sunday which is why we are all going) is that we are going to Pentecost Island for the first time. At this stage there is about 32 of us going on this cruise so this is definitely the biggest group we have been with. We hope to have 4 generations on board!!

Cheers,
Chaz
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

<SMALL></SMALL>
Liverpool NSW
6,977 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
As well as (or instead of) wipes, there is also a "waterless hand cleaner" you can buy. I got mine from Priceline, not sure where else you can buy it but it's just a small tube of clear liquid/gel sort of stuff. Say for instance, your hands are sticky, you put a little on your hands & rub them together as if washing them. They end up clean & dry - no water,soap or towel.
Also, I read on another forum that it's a good idea to take a sheet to the islands for sitting on. Doesn't take up much room, gives you more room than a towel for sitting, sand shakes off much easier than a towel & it saves your towel just for drying yourself (without the sand sruck to it). Never trued it but it certainly sounds feesable and I'm going to try it.

Karen
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen

Good friends are worth more than money in the bank - that's what I always say

*SS Australis-Sydney to Southampton-28th July -31st August 1975
*Tss Fairstar-Coral Sea Cruise-6th September-22nd September 1986
*Pacific Sun-N611-2nd April-13th April 2006
*Pacific Dawn-W735-9th November-23rd November 2007
*Pacific Dawn-W909-20th March-6th April 2009
*Pacific Dawn-W929-21st Oct-31st Oct 2009
*Pacific Jewel-J029-22nd Sept-30th Sept 2010
*Pacific Jewel-J030-30th Sept-10th Oct 2010
*Rhapsody Of The Seas-3rd Feb-6th Feb 2012
*Pacific Sun-N211-17th Mar-19th Mar 2012
*Pacific Pearl-P225-20th-23rd July 2012
*Pacific Pearl-P233-5th-8th Oct 2012
*Pacific Pearl-P324-8th-17th July 2013
*Voyager Of The Seas-10th-13th January 2014
*Celebrity Solstice-17th-20th January 2014
*Pacific Jewel-30th May-2nd June 2014
*Radiance Of The Seas-22nd Sept-11th Oct 2014
*Pacific Pearl-20th July-3rd August 2015
*Pacific Pearl-4th Sept-7th Sept 2015
*Pacific Aria-23rd May-3rd June 2016

35 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Originally posted by chaz cruiser
We will be going on the Star. The most exciting thing (after the fact that it is someone's 50th on Easter Sunday which is why we are all going) is that we are going to Pentecost Island for the first time. At this stage there is about 32 of us going on this cruise so this is definitely the biggest group we have been with. We hope to have 4 generations on board!!

Cheers,
Chaz
WOW! That is fantastic!!!!It would definetely be a memorable holiday!

It looks like you will be getting on as we are getting off! we are on the march 24th
113 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Originally posted by karmac
As well as (or instead of) wipes, there is also a "waterless hand cleaner" you can buy. I got mine from Priceline, not sure where else you can buy it but it's just a small tube of clear liquid/gel sort of stuff. Say for instance, your hands are sticky, you put a little on your hands & rub them together as if washing them. They end up clean & dry - no water,soap or towel.
Also, I read on another forum that it's a good idea to take a sheet to the islands for sitting on. Doesn't take up much room, gives you more room than a towel for sitting, sand shakes off much easier than a towel & it saves your towel just for drying yourself (without the sand sruck to it). Never trued it but it certainly sounds feesable and I'm going to try it.

Karen

Hi
The waterless 'Stuff" is called aquium( I think that is how you spell it). It is also an antibacterial sop which means handy to have at all times in the handbag for even the shopping centre toilets.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Postcard Passage - Sun - N606
437 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by NARELLE
This one gets a huige thumbs up from me... we didnt take any to divine and i ended up wearing my sandals in the water!

Then we bought them on board ($30) as the shop assistant said the other islands were the same and I didnt need them.... I think she tricked me...
Oh well I'll have them for next time.

Cheers,

Dan
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Diamond Princess - Auckland to Sydney - Dec 29th
Bargara, near Bundaberg, Queensland,Australia
1,093 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
As well as all the above I'm going to take next time a ceramic coffee mug as they had plastic ones on Sun last year,yuk! Also a wide mouth drink bottle as there is an ice block machine next to the water in the buffet.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

pics of the Med cruise on Voyager of the Seas
http://picasaweb.google.com/aussiecruiser
CLICK on Picture for South Pacific, Pacific Sun May 06 also Pacific Sun Feb '05
Past Cruises:
Fairstar May 64 Maiden Voyage: Southampton-Melbourne
Fairstar Mar1 91 :Sydney, Noumea,Suva,Dravuni Is.,Mystery Is.,Vila
Pacific Sun Feb 05: Sydney,Vila,Noumea,Mystery Is.,Champagne Bay,Lamen Bay
Pacific Sun May 06: Sydney,Lifou,Vila,Mystery Is.,Isle. Pines
Voyager of the Seas Sept 06: Barcelona,Marseille,Villefranche,Livorno,Civitavec chia (Rome),Naples,Barcelona

Next Cruise: Sun Princess 30/08/15 Brisbane,Airlie Beach,Port Douglas,Yorkeys Knob,Willis Is. Brisbane
Rhapsody of the Seas:8th Nov 2010 to South Pacific, Noumea,Mystery Island, Luganville ,Champagne Bay,Vila, Is. of Lifou, Isle Pines on Rhapsody of the Seas

Pics of ship:[url]http://picasaweb.google.com/aussiecruiser/hipPics?feat=directlink[/UL
Liverpool NSW
6,977 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by DanFromSyd
This one gets a huige thumbs up from me... we didnt take any to divine and i ended up wearing my sandals in the water!

Then we bought them on board ($30) as the shop assistant said the other islands were the same and I didnt need them.... I think she tricked me...
Oh well I'll have them for next time.

Cheers,

Dan
My post went missing again!!

They know how to rip you off don't they? I boght all 5 of us a pair for not much more than that. About $7-50 each. Got the kids ones in KMart & the bigger ones in Big W. If it hadn't been for these boards, I would never have even thought about them.

Karen
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen

Good friends are worth more than money in the bank - that's what I always say

*SS Australis-Sydney to Southampton-28th July -31st August 1975
*Tss Fairstar-Coral Sea Cruise-6th September-22nd September 1986
*Pacific Sun-N611-2nd April-13th April 2006
*Pacific Dawn-W735-9th November-23rd November 2007
*Pacific Dawn-W909-20th March-6th April 2009
*Pacific Dawn-W929-21st Oct-31st Oct 2009
*Pacific Jewel-J029-22nd Sept-30th Sept 2010
*Pacific Jewel-J030-30th Sept-10th Oct 2010
*Rhapsody Of The Seas-3rd Feb-6th Feb 2012
*Pacific Sun-N211-17th Mar-19th Mar 2012
*Pacific Pearl-P225-20th-23rd July 2012
*Pacific Pearl-P233-5th-8th Oct 2012
*Pacific Pearl-P324-8th-17th July 2013
*Voyager Of The Seas-10th-13th January 2014
*Celebrity Solstice-17th-20th January 2014
*Pacific Jewel-30th May-2nd June 2014
*Radiance Of The Seas-22nd Sept-11th Oct 2014
*Pacific Pearl-20th July-3rd August 2015
*Pacific Pearl-4th Sept-7th Sept 2015
*Pacific Aria-23rd May-3rd June 2016

Sydney Au
906 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Thanks all, esp Chaz.
The hand gel is called Aqium, it's great, never thought to take it!
I plan to take a personal chamois (the kind the swimmers use)
As for reef shoes....we just bought a pair of shoes which you can use in the waterr and for walking, jogging, etc. The back also fold down to make them slip ons. Hard to explain but very versatile and I hate to say Very expensive but 3 shoes in 1.
We were told to take our own snorkel gear cheaper than hiring.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Maxx

Explorer of the Seas March 6 2016
Carnival Spirit Nov 2013 - sailed
Rhapsody of the Seas 25/9/12 - sailed
Pacific Dawn Sept 2011 - sailed
Pacific Jewel 6/9/10 - sailed
Pacific Sun 26/8/10 - sailed
Pacific Dawn 19/8/10 - sailed
Superstar Virgo 19/8/08 - sailed
Melbourne
549 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
We took our own snorkel gear on both family cruises - (we had 4 sets). Was bulky in the cases but save $$$$ on deposits etc (even though you get reimbursed), was just once less que you had to line up for.
Kerri
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Eastern sunsets/Western tropics<BR>
eastern sunsets/western tropics