Driving in from Orlando

my3guys

Hi,

We will be spending a week at Disney/Universal before our cruise next June. We plan to leave Orlando around 10:00 a.m. for our 4:30 p.m. departure from Port Canaveral. I have just read a thread about flying in the day before to avoid possible delays. I know it's only an hour or so away, but now I'm thinking we might have to drive in the day before as well. Thoughts? Or am I just being a usual nervous Nellie? :o

Thank you!

Advice to fly in the day before is good....because flights may be delayed or cancelled. But you are already there...So unless you are 'finished' with Disney and Universal and just need a day to relax, I would not go early to Port Canaveral. EM

Plenty of visitors to Orlando visit the Cape Canaveral NASA site for a day-trip.

If you leave about 10am on the sailing day you'll have plenty of time for any unforeseen delays, or be on-board in good time for lunch.:)

No worries :cool:.

JB :)

Living in Orlando, I've cruised twice from Canaveral. Same day is just fine. We had our wedding and reception at a resort near Disney. It was probably noonish when we jumped in the car and headed to Canaveral for our honeymoon cruise pulling out that afternoon. The 528 (Beachline) is an easy drive out that dumps you right at the ports.

I would think you're fine driving in the day of. I live about three hours away from the Galveston port and have no trouble driving in the day that ship leaves. I do allow for extra time -- wrecks, traffic, parking, et cetera. But the way I think of it is I can get on the ship a little bit early or go eat at one of my favorite restraunts in Galveston. The last one I took out of Galveston the ship coming in was delayed several hours because of very heavy fog -- the port was closed. So we drove around, took the ferry to the penninsula, ate, and just began our vacation a little early :D

Thanks for the reassurances. We will stick to the original plan and have breakfast at our resort in Orlando and a late lunch on the ship! :)

I agree with others. No need to drive over to Port Canaveral early. You will be fine driving from Orlando on the day of. There is not that much to see over there, other than Cape Canaveral. Otherwise, it's just a beach community with lots of cheesy shops and motels.

The only suggestion that I have is that I would plan to leave WDW at 9:00 instead of 10:00. Why? Checkout always seems to take forever to get out of WDW hotels. If you shoot for 9:00 you will be on the road by 10:00 and to Port Canaveral by 11:00 or 11:30 at the latest. This will also give you a little fudge room in case there is an accident or possibly wildfires and you have to work your way along back roads.

Other than that slight change there is no reason to go to the coast a day early.

You willl be fine driving out the same day as your cruise. We drive to PC from a little north of Orlando, about a 70 mile drive. I would leave for the port no later than 9am. Arriving at PC around 10:15am. Park the car, check the luggage, and you will be onboard by 11:30am.