Sydney: Best Hotel and Best Restaurant

Travel 25

Tripadvisor and other such sites always rate their best of. We are curious as to what locals and travelers consider the best hotels and best restaurants in Sydney. Besides top dining restaurants are there any top buffet type restaurants that specialize in local food? How about best hotels and best restaurants with a view. Thanks for any and all replies. Steve

It is hard to say what is best, since each person's opinion of a hotel or restaurant could be different but, my wife and I spent three nights at the Park Hyatt in March and we thought it was spectacular! The views are great, rooms very comfortable, service impeccable, rooftop pool and health club outstanding. We really liked the area and it was easy to walk all over Sydney from the hotel. However, the hotel is very expensive ($750-1,000 per night). I was able to use Hyatt points. If I did not have the points we would not have stayed at the Park Hyatt.

For my wife, anything other than the Park Hyatt would be a major let down so I am adding Hyatt points for our next visit in a few years ( am actually staying at a Hyatt tonight). If I did have to pay, I would consider the Holiday Inn in the Rocks to be a prett good choice based on location & price.

Well I have stayed in a plethora of them (stay cations)

and the Hyatt wins hands down.

My next would be the Shangri La for Rooms but the Four Seasons for Pool area and better location.

The Langham is nice as well but it isn't as well located as all of the above.

Food:

Spoilt for choice. My last visit to Quay was a major let down I recently had my 7 or 8 trip to Aria and never had an meal i wasn't very happy with

You also need to consider Tetsuyas, Sepia and Marque.

here are the "hats" our take on Michelin

http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food/good-food-guide/the-sydney-morning-herald-good-food-guide-2015-the-hats-20140901-3eo84.html

Another vote for the Park Hyatt. Location is just fantastic. You wake up, open the curtains/blinds and there is the Opera House and Harbour directly in front of you. Service is excellent too.

Lots of great restaurants to chose from in Sydney. Hard to narrow it down to one.

Hubby is partial to Cafe Sydney. I like Jonahs at Whale Beach for delicious food, excellent service and stunning views. Neither of these are in the same class as Quay or Aria but they are worth a visit - especially if you decide to take the option of getting to Jonahs by seaplane (an experience in itself).

Edited by aussielozzie18

The Spice Temple is a very nice restaurant both in terms of atmosphere and food.

Cafe Sydney is great too and especially so if you're eating well after dark - book early for here since they allocate the premium window tables in the order reservations were made.

You also need to consider Tetsuyas, Sepia and Marque.
The Spice Temple is a very nice restaurant both in terms of atmosphere and food.
Although if the OP is specifically looking for a restaurant in this category with a view (not entirely clear from the first post), am I right in thinking that none of these really has one?

We found an excellent restaurant in Sydney. It was an Italian restaurant at 11 Bridge Street, near George Street called "Fratelli Fresh."

Also, we enjoyed a rooftop restaurant with a great view (food was good, but basic) overlooking the port and opera house. It was a couple of blocks from the dock where the Solstice docked.

We stayed at the Marriott Circular Quay and had a partial view(We also used reward points as well). I loved the location. 2 blocks from the bridge/Opera house. Eager to hear what other hotels others suggest. I think getting down near the Opera house was great and the park behind the Opera house was lovely to walk around. Karen

Thanks everyone!! We using our Hyatt points to stay at the Park Hyatt for two nights. We will be celebrating our 35 wedding aniversary so it should be a nice treat for us. Maybe dinner at Aria and a night at the opera will make it a day to never forget. Steve

Thanks everyone!! We using our Hyatt points to stay at the Park Hyatt for two nights. We will be celebrating our 35 wedding aniversary so it should be a nice treat for us. Maybe dinner at Aria and a night at the opera will make it a day to never forget. Steve

Happy Anniversary. :) Remember to book well in advance for both Aria and the Opera.

One of our favourite (and slightly less expensive) waterfront dining restaurants is the Sydney Cove Oyster Bar, especially when we get a table right next to the water. It's on the Opera House side of Circular Quay. Excellent seafood. We often go there for an early dinner before going to an opera or show at the Opera House.

Would Quay be a better choice than Aria? It looks like Quay gets more awards than any restaurant in Australia. The menu looks like it is quite creative. Neither my wife or I care for undercooked fish or meat. Would we be able to find something to order there? Maybe we should mention that with our reservation? They say their menu changes often. The desserts look great. Steve

Edited by Travel 25

If you don't like rare or raw Quay is not the place for you.

having eaten there a few times I think it is too many $$ for what it is.

When are you here? You mat struggle to get an evening meal at Quay less than 6 months in advance

If you get a chance, try the "Food on Five" at the Westfield Mall in downtown Sydney. Its like no other mall food court that you've likely seen. As I understand, leading Sydney chefs were given the opportunity to create an open style restaurant on the fifth floor of the mall. There was a wide selection of foods and all were great.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
Tripadvisor and other such sites always rate their best of. We are curious as to what locals and travelers consider the best hotels and best restaurants in Sydney. Besides top dining restaurants are there any top buffet type restaurants that specialize in local food? How about best hotels and best restaurants with a view. Thanks for any and all replies. Steve

In November 2013, we stayed at the Sir Stamford at Circular Quay. It was a very nice hotel. It was our 40th Anniversary and they provided us with Champagne and strawberries. It was a nice touch. It is within walking distance to Sydney Opera House, Circular Quay, and a lovely park. Buses run right in front of it as well. If we went back, that is where we would stay.

In November 2013, we stayed at the Sir Stamford at Circular Quay. It was a very nice hotel. It was our 40th Anniversary and they provided us with Champagne and strawberries. It was a nice touch. It is within walking distance to Sydney Opera House, Circular Quay, and a lovely park. Buses run right in front of it as well. If we went back, that is where we would stay.

I agree. I stayed there in February 2013 and would happily stay there again. :)

• 1 month later...
Flying Fish best views great cuisine you must book at least a week out though

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good food too.

If you've got a bit of time on you hands, ie a few nights go out to Woolloomooloo, just a short cab ride and have a pie at Harry's Cafe de Wheels, I know it's not what you are asking about, but something different and a great spot for under $10 each [or even do it for lunch one day.]

You really can't come to Aus and not have a pie, and Harry's are one of the best, and believe me I know meat pies, I've eaten a few.

Edited by GUT2407

• 1 month later...

For something nice, I recommend Catalina's or the Balmoral Bathers Pavillion. We always take the water taxi out and both places have nice views of the water. When you book - ask for a window seat. Especially nice for lunch.

We also love the Hyatt on the Rocks.