How long before the cruise do you usually book?

gaechann

Hi all

As I'm now cruising with my elderly Mum who requires an Accessible Cabin, I've found that I've had to book VERY early, often more than a year out to obtain a balcony cabin otherwise the best I can find is an oceanview.

How about you? How long before the cruise do you usually book? :confused:

Gae

Hi all

As I'm now cruising with my elderly Mum who requires an Accessible Cabin, I've found that I've had to book VERY early, often more than a year out to obtain a balcony cabin otherwise the best I can find is an oceanview.

How about you? How long before the cruise do you usually book? :confused:

Gae

My next cruise (in Oct) has been booked for over a year.

I also have a cruise booked for Dec. 2014.

On the other hand, I think my Oct cruise has accessible cabins right now.

HAL Maasdam Oct 25.

If you want something specific, book early.

You can cancel.

Normally we book a couple years in advance, especially for the more exotic cruises. Unfortunately we were forced to cancel (medical issues) the one we had scheduled for next year and booked a couple a couple only six months in advanced. On one we did get an OV, on the other one we ended up in an inside down in the dungeon. There was not any available cabins on our first choice for the second cruise.

Just recently we booked the three cruises for September next year and was able to get the cabins we wanted. Of course, all three of those cruises are pretty basic and do not include any special ports of call. We will also have a train trip between a couple of the cruises.

Betty

We ordinarily book as soon as the itinerary is announced in order to secure an accessible cabin this is usually about 18 to 20 months out. You are not always going to get the best price by doing so but we book through an excellent TA who always gets us a great thru his "group" bookings and then gets us any price reductions that we may spot before final payment is due.

There are a very limited number of Accessible Cabins relative to non-accessible therefore it's wise to book as soon as possible.

Personally I book at least a year or more in advance if I'm set on a specific cruise and than watch for price reductions up till final payment. If I'm not picky regarding ship and or itinerary I have been known to book 4-6 months in advance but note that one must be extremely flexible when booking in a short time frame if needing an accessible cabin.

I book as soon as the itineraries come out. I'm always amazed how many of the accessible cabins are booked so quickly. I don't know who's booking them all so fast, but I can't help but wonder if the agencies that specialize in accessible travel are putting holds on most of them.

I wish there was an"accessible upgrade fairy".

To guarantee an accessible cabin we book on brochure launch to ensure we get any initial launch deals.

Being from the UK we don't generally get reductions if the price drops, although there has been comment on CC that Princess and Celebrity do now give these type of reductions, but nothing from P&O or Cunard.

We are retired and only book with NCL. We have tried most of the other cruise lines but love the freestyle dining. Also, we wait until final payment because the prices are less expensive. I booked a 11/25/2013 two days ago. I always track the prices to find the least expensive dates. We also book with a TA to get OBC!

We also book as early as possible and are happy doing so, BUT how about insurance? We have been paying non-refundable insurance that includes pre-existing conditions ...

Any comments and/or suggestions ??????

Herb :confused: :confused:

We also book as early as possible and are happy doing so, BUT how about insurance? We have been paying non-refundable insurance that includes pre-existing conditions ...

Any comments and/or suggestions ??????

Is your question how long in advance does one purchase insurance given that a pre-existing condition is involved ? If so than the answer is that it generally has to be purchased within a specific time period from the initial booking date. That time period is generally within 10-14 days from the initial booking though some companies have policies that allow a 20 day period.

Have only found one situation involving pre-existing conditions that allows purchasing insurance at a later date even right up to 24 hours before final payment. This situation requires the cruise to be booked through the travel program of one of the large warehouse clubs in which you must be a member. This warehouse club's travel protection plan includes a pre-existing condition exclusion waiver when the insurance is purchased before, or within 24 hours of when the cruise is paid in full.

Is your question how long in advance does one purchase insurance given that a pre-existing condition is involved ? If so than the answer is that it generally has to be purchased within a specific time period from the initial booking date. That time period is generally within 10-14 days from the initial booking though some companies have policies that allow a 20 day period.

Have only found one situation involving pre-existing conditions that allows purchasing insurance at a later date even right up to 24 hours before final payment. This situation requires the cruise to be booked through the travel program of one of the large warehouse clubs in which you must be a member. This warehouse club's travel protection plan includes a pre-existing condition exclusion waiver when the insurance is purchased before, or within 24 hours of when the cruise is paid in full.

Thanks for the info ... it was rather a comment than a question. I require an accessible cabin thus have to book sometimes with 18 months anticipation in order to get a one, and was "hoping" somebody out there might have an alternative to pay insurance so early in the process!

Check with CSA Travel Protection. I believe if you purchase the insurance before final payment, pre-existing conditions are covered. Go to their website and create a quote. Read the notes under “Other Features and Services” by rolling the mouse over the subject. It indicates “Pre-existing medical condition exclusion is waived if purchased prior to or within 24 hours of the final trip payment and you are medically able to travel at the time of purchase.” Most cruise deposits are refundable prior to the final payment. If you wanted to make sure your airfare was covered, you would have to purchase the insurance about the same time you booked your flights.

Betty

Thanks for the info ... it was rather a comment than a question. I require an accessible cabin thus have to book sometimes with 18 months anticipation in order to get a one, and was "hoping" somebody out there might have an alternative to pay insurance so early in the process!

Have the same problem and that's why booking with a large warehouse club works well for me. Not only can I defer buying the insurance up to 24 hours before the final payment date , the actual policy costs through the warehouse club that I'm a member of is half as much as if I purchased the policy direct with the same provider.

Archived