How do you pack necklaces without them tangling and knotting?

Beanie01

I always have a problem packing necklaces without them tangling. I have a jewelry roll, but with just a few pockets, I still have to put several necklaces together in a pocket, and then they get knotted.

Any ideas on how to pack them and avoid the tangling/knotting?

A jeweler uses a necklace roll to keep them seperated. It is a piece of fabric with snap loops that hold the necklaces at one end and the rolling keeps them from tangling.

Could you make something up? Something like this-

-Get a felt square, some snaps, short ribbon lengths and thread.

-For five necklaces

-Sew five female sided snaps (with ribbons underneath) evenly spaced unto felt.

-Sew five female snap/ribbon combos to bottom side of felt

-Sew male snaps to ribbons.

Hook top of necklace into top ribbon and bottom of necklace to bottom ribbon.

It would look something like this, the dots are where the snaps would be placed.

_________

. . . . .

. . . . .

_________

Velcro might work, but I like snaps.

Doesn't have to be felt, any fabric would do.

Get a drinking straw and "thread" your chain thru it....then hook the clasp. You may have to cut the straw shorter in order to re-clasp the chain, but it will keep them from knotting!

That sounds like a super (and easy) idea; I'm going to try it on our next cruise!

Get a drinking straw and "thread" your chain thru it....then hook the clasp. You may have to cut the straw shorter in order to re-clasp the chain, but it will keep them from knotting!

That may work! I can get straws from our office cafeteria!

Much Easier! :p Especially if you use a large diameter straw.

I always do this for thin chains that get tangled.

Cut the straw in 2 or 3 pieces.

Works like a charm!

If you have chains that are a little thicker, get a straw from a place that sells frozen coffee drinks or smoothies, which are larger in diameter.

I was going to suggest the same thing. Large straws (like those at McDonald's) are easier to use.

Yes! And if the straws are short enough, store them in a toothbrush holder or samll pencil case

Mine did ok in snack size ziplock bags. I have a small zipper bag that I keep ear rings in. At home I have a plastic set of 4 drawers sectioned for screws but works great for jewlery. Have taken just one of the little drawers (about 8 inches by5 inches by 2 inches) in suitcase for jewlery.

Yes! And if the straws are short enough, store them in a toothbrush holder or samll pencil case

I like the pencil case idea. I was thinking after "strawing" the necklaces, what will I put them in. I have several pencil case size bags from Estee Lauder. It's the perfect size to put them in.

Just a thought - how about putting them individualy into the "snack size or the sandwich size" plastic bags???? And then pack them altogether in a larger plastic bag???? marydallas (ever wonder why WE think we have to take sooo much jewelry??) Could we just settle for one-set for evening and one-set for daytime????? I know that is asking too much - even for me.

Just a thought - how about putting them individualy into the "snack size or the sandwich size" plastic bags???? And then pack them altogether in a larger plastic bag???? marydallas (ever wonder why WE think we have to take sooo much jewelry??) Could we just settle for one-set for evening and one-set for daytime????? I know that is asking too much - even for me.

I'll answer this :)

I have necklace chains that will tangle onto themselves if put into a plastic baggie. I hang them at home so they don't do this.

Sometimes I will take a top or dress that is worn twice and I like to change the accessories. Then, you have formal and casual evenings and jewelry can be a lot different for those two types of evenings.

Jewelry takes up little space, my travel jewelry case is the same size no matter how much I pack into it, so I'm going to take a lot of different pieces. It adds no weight to my suitcase since I carry it in my purse, so there is no issue there.

I cut back on shoes, clothing, makeup and leave much of the stuff I read on packing lists at home, there is no way I'll even consider cutting back on jewelry. I enjoy it too much and since we aren't party people at home, it's my time to dress up and wear jewelry.

The clothing store I frequently shop at gives you your purchases on the hangers. I bought a 2 piece dressy dress and the skirt was looped onto the top haner and had all these loops on it to hang the skirts at different lengths for display.

I have about 10 "slots" to hang necklaces from on this, I just loop it onto a hanger in my garrment bag. It's all costume jewelry anyway, I carry the good stuff with me. Voila, no tangles.

Wish I could post a picture, I thought I was a genius when I re-purposed this little gizmo.

I don't know if this has been said, but I would use leftover toilet paper rolls or paper towel rolls. Fold them flat and then wrap the jewelry around them. A good way to recycle!

(Christmas tip - I use them to wrap new light bulb sets around or I will also use the plastic tray that the lights were on in the package).

Archived