Embarking at pier 93, debarking at berth 46, San Pedro

calisilent

Hi!

We were just informed that our ship is debarking at a different area than we are parked in for our upcoming cruise out of Los Angeles harbour. Does anyone have experience with being shuttled from Berth 46 to the parking at Pier 93 in San Pedro? Specifically I am wondering about how long it might take for the shuttle and the ride back to pick up the rest of our party. DH and I had a return flight out of LAX leaving at 3:00pm. Yesterday, American Airlines changed our flight time to 1:00 (2 hours earlier!) and canceled the flight at 3:00pm. This means that in order to make that flight we were going to need to be through customs and into the parking lot by 10:30 am at the latest. I need to have an idea of how much more time I need to add to that for this new docking change.

I hate to have to rush off the ship at 8:00 am if I don't have to.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Cathy

Edited by calisilent

The distance is 2.4 miles (9 minutes). You will probably need to contact Princess about timing of shuttles. Can't imagine they won't have something.

You could always park near your "return" pier rather than your embarkation pier (assuming you aren't on the ship right now:eek:)

There was a post regarding same thing a few months ago. I recall there was a shuttle, & passengers were told only one person could get on the shuttle to retrieve car, but when they got to the shuttle they let all on. I believe the ship was the Crown sometime back in Jan.

There was a post regarding same thing a few months ago. I recall there was a shuttle, & passengers were told only one person could get on the shuttle to retrieve car, but when they got to the shuttle they let all on. I believe the ship was the Crown sometime back in Jan.

I was on that cruise. They didn't seem to be enforcing the one person rule. The shuttle filled up quickly. It's a real pain when they use Pier 46. Fortunately it doesn't happen often.

I was on that cruise. They didn't seem to be enforcing the one person rule. The shuttle filled up quickly. It's a real pain when they use Pier 46. Fortunately it doesn't happen often.

I was able to switch our return flight to a few hours later so now there is no rush and no worries! We are in my parent's car as they are going on this cruise, driving out from Yuma, Arizona and picking us up/dropping off at LAX. Now we are able to leisurly debark and find our car. :)

Edited by calisilent

Does anyone have pictures of pier 46?

A current photo would show you a big parking lot. They put up a big temporary tent to serve as a terminal when they use this pier.

Pretty much...

15813450713_6f17a20b4b_z.jpg

Crown Princess - 3-day cruise - 2015 by Richard, on Flickr

16432579132_f2465582fd_z.jpg

16432580242_f5b1553421_z.jpg

16245852978_2ed5060f57_z.jpg

I was able to switch our return flight to a few hours later so now there is no rush and no worries! We are in my parent's car as they are going on this cruise, driving out from Yuma, Arizona and picking us up/dropping off at LAX. Now we are able to leisurly debark and find our car. :)

Good that you were able to change. :)

Thanks everyone! It's such a shame that they put the Iowa where they did so the third cruise ship now has to dock here.

It's very rare it happens. The Iowa gets more daily traffic.

For the rare times there are 3 cruise ships in port having the 3rd ship at 46 to me is the best utilization of port space.

The Iowa has visitors daily year round unlike cruise ships which at this time of year rarely have any ships in port & even during the cruise season it's not everyday. The Iowa needs a large parking lot & apparently 46 has limited parking so I think the Iowa's current location is best.

On the West Coast ports' forum it's been discussed that on 10/3/15 there will be 4 cruise ships in the port of LA. That necessitates not only using berth 46 (Jewel OTS) but also berth 54 (Ruby Princess) which is described as being for frozen cargo. It'll be interesting to learn about how that day goes & thankfully I've never had to experience 4 cruise ships in the Port of LA. ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2225559

Edited by Astro Flyer

For the rare times there are 3 cruise ships in port having the 3rd ship at 46 to me is the best utilization of port space.

The Iowa has visitors daily year round unlike cruise ships which at this time of year rarely have any ships in port & even during the cruise season it's not everyday. The Iowa needs a large parking lot & apparently 46 has limited parking so I think the Iowa's current location is best.

On the West Coast ports' forum it's been discussed that on 10/3/15 there will be 4 cruise ships in the port of LA. That necessitates not only using berth 46 (Jewel OTS) but also berth 54 (Ruby Princess) which is described as being for frozen cargo. It'll be interesting to learn about how that day goes & thankfully I've never had to experience 4 cruise ships in the Port of LA. ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2225559

We are also on that 10/3/15 cruise out of San Pedro, Ruby R/T Hawaii 15 days. I decided to add a 4 dayer before, that in order to avoid the mess. It would be a turn around day on 10/3/15. We will have to change cabins that AM because our cabin is not available on the 4 dayer.

Would any of you long time cruisers do this in order to avoid the mess????:confused:

We are also on that 10/3/15 cruise out of San Pedro, Ruby R/T Hawaii 15 days. I decided to add a 4 dayer before, that in order to avoid the mess. It would be a turn around day on 10/3/15. We will have to change cabins that AM because our cabin is not available on the 4 dayer.

Would any of you long time cruisers do this in order to avoid the mess????:confused:

I've stayed at the Doubletree Cabrillo Beach which has the option to park my car for free when on a Hawaii r/t cruise. They provide shuttles to & from the ships and the Crowne Plaza also offers a park & stay package. Wth parking now $16/day at the cruise terminal it is sometimes cost-effective and more relaxing for me to arrive the day before.

Although if the cruise price is good any excuse to sail more works for me! :D

Edited by Astro Flyer

Do they need to pack you in ice before they board you? ;) It's not really that bad, and I think a b2b is worth it. Talk to them when you board for the first leg and see what can be done about your luggage. They may not need to off load it at all.

...On the West Coast ports' forum it's been discussed that on 10/3/15 there will be 4 cruise ships in the port of LA. That necessitates not only using berth 46 (Jewel OTS) but also berth 54 (Ruby Princess) which is described as being for frozen cargo. It'll be interesting to learn about how that day goes & thankfully I've never had to experience 4 cruise ships in the Port of LA...

I was booked on the above Ruby cruise but was fortunately was able to switch to another sailing that departs and ends at berth 93 instead. I decided that I've had enough learning experiences ;).

• 3 weeks later...

Doing the same thing! It makes sense.

I've stayed at the Doubletree Cabrillo Beach which has the option to park my car for free when on a Hawaii r/t cruise. They provide shuttles to & from the ships and the Crowne Plaza also offers a park & stay package. Wth parking now $16/day at the cruise terminal it is sometimes cost-effective and more relaxing for me to arrive the day before.

Although if the cruise price is good any excuse to sail more works for me! :D

Best Western Plus is less expensive and offers the same package.

Best Western Plus is less expensive and offers the same package.

Thanks...is that on Gaffey Street?

We're considering the Crown's 7-day on 10/3 and we can get private sedan transportation from home (about an hour) for a couple of dollars more than driving & parking for a week. :)

Thanks...is that on Gaffey Street?

We're considering the Crown's 7-day on 10/3 and we can get private sedan transportation from home (about an hour) for a couple of dollars more than driving & parking for a week. :)

Who do you use for your private sedan transportation??? We are about 1 hour away also.

Who do you use for your private sedan transportation??? We are about 1 hour away also.

I've used a Prime Time sedan which has been reliable for me & slightly less expensive but I always check all options and mostly used shared vans. A week of parking is $112 at the port, $98.10 (no gratuity included) for a shared van & $125.55 for a sedan which includes an 18% gratuity.

A shared van is about $67 for 2 from Burbank & $90 for a private sedan which includes an 18% gratuity.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I've used a Prime Time sedan which has been reliable for me & slightly less expensive but I always check all options and mostly used shared vans. A week of parking is $112 at the port, $98.10 (no gratuity included) for a shared van & $125.55 for a sedan which includes an 18% gratuity.

A shared van is about $67 for 2 from Burbank & $90 for a private sedan which includes an 18% gratuity.

thanks for the info

• 1 month later...

I neglected to post a correction to my post...the shuttle van & sedan prices are one-way & not roundtrip...my apologies for the misinformation. :o