Entertainment for kiddos!

KimB730

We will be taking the Inside Passage Alaskan cruise the first week in August. Our 8 year old and 7 month old grandsons will be with us. Can anyone give me any tips of what is available for them/us on the Ruby Princess during the "days at sea"? We as a family will also be going to the early dining and know that the men are required to wear shirts with collars, but what about children?

Thanks ahead of time for any information you can provide!

We will be taking the Inside Passage Alaskan cruise the first week in August. Our 8 year old and 7 month old grandsons will be with us. Can anyone give me any tips of what is available for them/us on the Ruby Princess during the "days at sea"? We as a family will also be going to the early dining and know that the men are required to wear shirts with collars, but what about children?

Actually regarding the dress code in the main dining rooms, smart casual for men would be something akin to polo shirts, tropical shirts, and the like for dinner. During the day, tee shirts are okay (please no wife beaters for meal time for the sake of your fellow diners). Same for kids. But the 7-month old can be dressed in any cute baby outfits.

As for entertainment, the 8-year-old will be in the Shockwaves program. Bring him to the first night to sign him up and so he can meet the other kids. You can read more about it before your cruise on the Princess website, which lists many of the usual activities.

There will be a packet of info about Shockwaves in the cabin when you first board that will include a day by day listing of planned activities (subject to change, of course).

As for the little one, you can look on the Princess website about info about taking him for playtime in the Pelican room. I'm not sure about what the minimum age for that, but a parent or guardian needs to stay with the child during that time; it's not a drop off situation. Also check to see what the minimum age is for post-10pm kidsitting. The 8-year-old probably won't want to participate in that (my girl at 8 loved the regular activities, but wasn't interested in being kidsitted at night).

There are activities outside of the kids' program that the 8-year-old could be interested in -- I've seen kids at trivia contests, for example. Depends on the child. There's many night time choices for entertainment, but that depends on the child. My child was always interested in the big production shows (her first cruise was at 23 months of age, and she already been to Blues Clues Live).

You didn't say if the parents were going or not. If they were and you're the backup kidsitters, that will make it easy.

If the parents aren't going, make sure to get a notarized letter signed by both parents allowing you to take the kids on the cruise. Also bring a similar letter permitting you to seek medical treatment. Get a copy of the insurance card that covers them. Also have the parents pack a ziplock bag of any medicines they use, including the dosage levels they use. Don't depend on the ship to have diapers -- bring plenty and extras too.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We had family with an 8 month old on one cruise and they were not allowed to bring the child into any of the children's areas. Can't remember what they were told the age limit was.

You can check with the youth staff once onboard as well. :)

The 8 year old will love the kids' club. The baby will not be old enough for it. The minimum age is three (and potty trained.) When we have taken a baby, we used an umbrella stroller and kept her with us. She loved the music and entertainment in the piazza where we took her most days. They won't say anything about how the kids are dressed as long as they aren't in swim suits or pajamas. (Well, I think the baby can get away with jammies. :))

Schedules for the Shockwaves group on our Alaskan cruise in 2011 are here. They had enough kids that week to split the group into 8-10 and 11-12 year old groups. These were for the 11-12 year olds, but it will give you a good idea of the types of activities.

Be aware that children aren't allowed in any of the pools unless they are fully toilet trained. No "swim diapers" are allowed. Hopefully your grandchildren will love their cruising experience. I'm a bit jealous of them. I didn't get my first cruise until I was 58 years old! :D