Critique my walking tour

Beachiekeen

Below are all the places I know I want to see on our day in Key West. Can someone tell me if this looks realistic or if I'm missing anything? I will be with my hubby and his friend and they really just want to see Hemingway and Duval St., the rest is for me. My husband also really loves chickens so I hope we so those walking around. We arrive at 10:00 am and have to be back at the ship by 6:00.

Here they are in the order I thought would be best:

Audubon House

Possible lunch at Blue Heaven (may be too early still)

Hemingway House

Southernmost Point for photo (with lunch at the Beach Cafe or Salute)

Key West Butterfly Conservatory

Then head up Duval and hit the bars and Kermit's

Cut over to Nancy Forrester's Secret Garden

End with Sloppy Joe's/Hog's Breath

Mallory Square before going back to the ship

How does this sound?

These are grouped so that you can see them as you walk along Whitehead, kinda, as you will have to make a right onto Petronia to get to Blue Heaven. An addition would be the lighthouse just past Hemingway's house and maybe a little shopping on the corner of Whitehead and Petronia. And one addition I'd suggest would be to pop into esame Mucho just before you come to Blue Heaven at #315. Say hello to

Audubon House

Possible lunch at Blue Heaven (may be too early still)

Hemingway House

Southernmost Point for photo (with lunch at the Beach Cafe or Salute)

Then walk over to Duval on South Street and head down and you will hit the

Key West Butterfly Conservatory

Then head up Duval and hit the bars and Kermit's

Cut over to Nancy Forrester's Secret Garden

End with Sloppy Joe's/Hog's Breath

Mallory Square before going back to the ship

And I think Nancy's Secret Garden has closed.

Pjk

When does your ship leave Key West? Many cruise ships leave before the festivities start at Mallory Square.

Yeah I know but thought it might still be worth seeing? It seemed so close to the ship anyway. But we are set to leave at 6:00 pm so way before sunset.

Yeah I know but thought it might still be worth seeing? It seemed so close to the ship anyway. But we are set to leave at 6:00 pm so way before sunset.

Celebration will be started before you leave but it's always fun to watch the passengers enjoy the activities from the ship since it is so close.

Dominique's Flying Cats sets up right below your ship at The Westin and will have a show before you sail.

Mike:)

The Sunset Pier at the Ocean Key Resort, 0 Duval Street usually has live music in the afternoons ---> http://www.oceankey.com/key-west-sunset-pier.aspx You could sit at the Tiki bar or one of the small table out on the pier sip a drink and listen to the music. It's especially nice since there will be boats coming in or going out for day sails or snorkeling trips. It can easily be on your way back to the ship.

Pjk

The Sunset Pier at the Ocean Key Resort, 0 Duval Street usually has live music in the afternoons ---> http://www.oceankey.com/key-west-sunset-pier.aspx You could sit at the Tiki bar or one of the small table out on the pier sip a drink and listen to the music. It's especially nice since there will be boats coming in or going out for day sails or snorkeling trips. It can easily be on your way back to the ship.

Pjk

Ooooh thanks! I actually had that in my notes but didn't know where it was. Definitely added it to the list!

if ship leaves at 6 you must be onboard by 5:30

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The NY Times occasionally prints a "36 Hours In ..." some destination. The one for Key West, which isn't too bad, is here ---> http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/travel/09hours.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

It gives you some idea of what to see and includes approximate timings, so you could look at what they suggest for your time span.

Pjk

The NY Times occasionally prints a "36 Hours In ..." some destination. The one for Key West, which isn't too bad, is here ---> http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/travel/09hours.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

It gives you some idea of what to see and includes approximate timings, so you could look at what they suggest for your time span.

Pjk

Thank you so much! Getting excited now and I'll definitely report back!

• 1 month later...

So here is what we ended up doing:

Hemingway House--crowded but we really enjoyed it

Butterfly Conservatory--fun, butterflies everywhere!

Southernmost Point--obligatory picture but we didn't stand in line

Lunch at Louie's Backyard--wouldn't recommend

Key Lime Pie at Kermits--really tart, $4.50/slice

Various galleries and shops

Bars: Pork & Stogie, Little Jazz Room, Willie T's, Lazy Geiko, World of Beer. All the famous ones were too loud and crowded on St. Patty's Day and not really hubby's scene.

We had a great time--hubby and his BFF did NOT want to leave. I feel like we barely scratched the surface and we may come back for a friend's 40th B-day this year. The bars were crowded but otherwise, it didn't feel overly crowded even on Spring Break. Weather was gorgeous!

If you go back and it's yours or anyone else's birthday ---> https://www.furycat.com/key-west/things-to-do-for-birthdays.htm

Their Commotion on the Ocean, a sunset sail with live music, is very popular. There was one review of this that said that by the time the boat was coming back into Key West everyone on it was dancing.

Pjk