Flying into Houston-cost of airfare? Notoriously expensive or is my friend wrong

3redheads

I know the cost of airfare varies based on time of year and where you are flying from, but I told a friend who is from Houston that I am waiting for airfare to drop for our May cruise out of Galveston and he said he didn't think it would go lower :cool:

We are flying out of Washington DC in May.

Direct flight is currently $447

One stop over $384

He lives in DC now and said he paid less for a flight to England recently than a flight back to Houston.

Is airfare notoriously expensive to Houston? I have airfare alerts set up through quite a few sites and apps.

TIA

I checked those and it appears I might be a little early trying to book. Southwest is only booking out until March and Jetblue is booking out until April. Thanks so much! I will keep checking!

According to the Southwest website they will open booking through June 1, 2018 on August 28th. Check a day or so before because sometimes they will push the date up.

I wasn't able to find anything on JetBlue's site.

I'm booked from Denver in November. I ended up booking through two different lines to make it cheaper. So I'm flying into hobby on Southwest and out of IAH on united. It's $480 for two if us round trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm booked from Denver in November. I ended up booking through two different lines to make it cheaper. So I'm flying into hobby on Southwest and out of IAH on united. It's $480 for two if us round trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've done that in the past for other trips and I didn't even think to do that! What a great idea and what a rate. Thanks so mucH!

We are flying from LAX in January to Houston Hobby on southwest for $159 round trip. Definitely worth waiting for southwest to post fares

Southwest fares opened today. Way too expensive at this point, but I'll keep checking back. Hope I can get a great rate like your rate!

Southwest fares opened today. Way too expensive at this point, but I'll keep checking back. Hope I can get a great rate like your rate!

Same here from Baltimore to Hobby. Hopefully waiting will pay off. It was close to $2000 for four of us.

We always fly into Hobby on SWA for cruises, as it's much closer to the port than IAH and cheaper for us, but it's still much more expensive than flying most places we fly. Not sure why Houston is an expensive destination, but for instance if you watch fares, you can fly into Dallas Love from PHX for around $200 round trip (sometimes as low as $49 each way!), and we can't ever touch Houston for under $280 - $300.

I started following UAL's prices 11 months out when they are first offered. They started out high but eventually started coming down. We were at $420 to start & caught a break 90-100 days out when it dipped to $300 so we locked in. I think prices are high now due to the uncertainty from Harvey & Irma.