Aruba snorkeling

sdunham10

I am trying to find out the best company to snorkel with in Aruba. I have read reviews from 4 companies on tripadvisor but would love to hear from others. Is 2 hours long enough? What area is best? Just not sure what company to go with.

I am looking for a snorkeling excursion. I have researched a few.... Aruba Bobs, Jolly Pirates, Blue Melody, Wix, Snorkeling Aruba. So many to choose from. I would like a good snorkeling tour.... I figured since your logon name is Arubalisa.....you would know the island quite well...or at least really really love it! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When we were in Aruba last fall, we loved De Palm Island. The snorkeling was just awesome. So many different kinds of fish, I felt like I was in an aquarium!

Was there Coral as well? Did you go on your own or with a tour? Can you give details please :)

Was there Coral as well? Did you go on your own or with a tour? Can you give details please :)

Yes, there was lots of coral. We booked through the cruise line (NCL). However, I do know that you can also book independently. It was actually cheaper to go through the cruise line this time. We were picked up at the pier and driven to a ferry that brought us to the island. It's a beautiful beach and lunch was included. I had heard about the snorkeling from a former co-worker who has a timeshare in Aruba. She had highly recommended it and I agree. You walk down steps into the ocean and just start snorkeling. You are supplied with a life vest, which I really recommend as, you are in the ocean and it gets deep fast. That plus the waves knock you about. But, I was completely mesmorized by the variety and sheer volume of fish.

Thank you

We too are sailing with NCL 21 day on the Pearl . B2B East and South Caribbean. So excited!

After a lot of research I planned a day and opened it up to our Rollcall(s) we decided to book a morning Island tour with Sonny Tours

http://www.sonnytoursaruba.com

and then he will drop us off at Arashai Beach for snorkeling from there we will walk to Boca Catalina beach and Malmok all on the same strip, and then we will catch the Beach hopper bus back to the port.

Sonny's tour is ony $30.00 and the bus is $2.60 each way.

Some of our group are just going to head to the beach and meet us there. less than 6 bucks for great snorkelling where most of the tours end up going.

One of the least expensive Island days will ever do I am sure lol :)

• 3 weeks later...

I went with private snorkeling Aruba. It is the highest rated on trip advisor and Rene the owner was fantastic. You can not go wrong! He took us to multiple spots and was able to give us some island info as well. He was the best.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 1 month later...

Snorkel Curacao and See Aruba. Curacao is a bigger version of a Dutch island, Aruba so lots of ground to cover in a limited amount of time. Geology and topography of the islands are the same. Underwater is much better in Curacao than Aruba.

Snorkel Curacao and See Aruba. Curacao is a bigger version of a Dutch island, Aruba so lots of ground to cover in a limited amount of time. Geology and topography of the islands are the same. Underwater is much better in Curacao than Aruba.

Thank you great advise :p

I should add, in Curacao our family of 10 spent the day at Playa Porto Mari. Some of us dove, some snorkeled and others had a tranquil relaxing beach day. We saw a bit of the island on the ride to and from the cruise terminal. :)

• 2 months later...
When we were in Aruba last fall, we loved De Palm Island. The snorkeling was just awesome. So many different kinds of fish, I felt like I was in an aquarium!

De Palm Island is the easiest place to snorkel that I've ever experienced.

Perfect for the first time snorkeler or anyone who wants see lots of fish immediately. Just walk down the steps into the water and you'll be greeted by colorful fish.

Especially love seeing the many Blue Parrot Fish! :)

LuLu

Can you rent chairs and umbrellas along Palm Beach? Also, toilet facilities and lunch spot? We'll be there in Feb 2015

Thanks, Cathy

Take the bus or taxi to Palm Beach. If you reach the beach via the walkway to DePalm Pier, once you reach the beach via the walkway from the street there will be vendors there renting chaises and umbrellas as well as be able to help with watersports.

There is a rest room nearby as well. There is a bar and grill, Bugaloe, at the end of De Palm Pier as well as other resort restaurants within walking distance.

On the north side of the walkway is the Radisson and the south side is the Riu (all inclusive only).

Taxis from the cruise terminal to Palm Beach is $11 each way for a maximum of 5 people per taxi. Add an additional $3 each way on Sunday and national holidays.

Edited by Arubalisa

Take the bus or taxi to Palm Beach. If you reach the beach via the walkway to DePalm Pier, once you reach the beach via the walkway from the street there will be vendors there renting chaises and umbrellas as well as be able to help with watersports.

There is a rest room nearby as well. There is a bar and grill, Bugaloe, at the end of De Palm Pier as well as other resort restaurants within walking distance.

On the north side of the walkway is the Radisson and the south side is the Riu (all inclusive only).

Taxis from the cruise terminal to Palm Beach is $11 each way for a maximum of 5 people per taxi. Add an additional $3 each way on Sunday and national holidays.

Thanks Lisa, great info! Sounds perfect for us!

• 1 month later...

You appear to be the one to ask with all questions Aruba.

We are a family of 4 adults who will be in Aruba for the day on 1st December

Our daughter wishes to dive the Antila shipwreck and we would like to do a snorkelling trip there. Can you recommend a company for each of us.

We have seen the private snorkelling one that has been mentioned however that is a bit pricey. Someone that picks up at cruise ship terminal would be ideal.

Also I see you know a lot about Curacao as well. I have been looking at

Irie tours East coast 3 hour trip, have you had experience. We thought if we did that in the morning then in the afternoon wander the town. Is there a beach near the cruise ship terminal as well for the afternoon?

They are very different. Were you looking for something relaxing, challenging, fun, middle of the road?

The only Antilla snorkeling tour that "might" pick you up at the cruise terminal would be one sponsored by the ship.

For snorkeling the Antilla all of the larger companies- Pelican, Red Sail & De Palm- offer tours as well as some of the smaller companies. We prefer Jolly Pirates. All of these depart from Palm Beach.

Strea Charters as well as Tranquilo offer snorkel tours but NOT to the Antilla, however they do depart from the docks adjacent to the cruise terminal. A very easy walk from the ship.

The Antilla, imo, is not the be all end all for snorkeling in Aruba. ;) Many days the water is choppy and there is a current. The wreck is in 60 feet of water. Aruba is not known for unlimited underwater visibility so unless you hit perfect conditions you won't be able to see the lower portions of the wreck.

Sorry I cannot comment on Irie tours. On our cruise stop in Curacao we spent the day at Playa Porto Mari snorkeling, diving and sunbathing.

That's really helpful information, thankyou for that. In light of what you are saying we are going to give snorkellig the Antila a miss. We only have one day in Aruba and want to make the most of it I don't want to take a chance of it being perfect conditions. I see you also dive. Our daughter was going to dive the site. Have you done that, if so would you recommend.

Okay so my next question to you is for our one and only time in Aruba what would be the perfect day for us without spending a fortune?

The only Antilla snorkeling tour that "might" pick you up at the cruise terminal would be one sponsored by the ship.

For snorkeling the Antilla all of the larger companies- Pelican, Red Sail & De Palm- offer tours as well as some of the smaller companies. We prefer Jolly Pirates. All of these depart from Palm Beach.

Strea Charters as well as Tranquilo offer snorkel tours but NOT to the Antilla, however they do depart from the docks adjacent to the cruise terminal. A very easy walk from the ship.

The Antilla, imo, is not the be all end all for snorkeling in Aruba. ;) Many days the water is choppy and there is a current. The wreck is in 60 feet of water. Aruba is not known for unlimited underwater visibility so unless you hit perfect conditions you won't be able to see the lower portions of the wreck.

Sorry I cannot comment on Irie tours. On our cruise stop in Curacao we spent the day at Playa Porto Mari snorkeling, diving and sunbathing.

Our experience on DePalm Island in 2011 was lots of parrot fish and lots of bleached coral. The reef is, of course, totally unprotected (it could not be protected in a shore snorkeling environment like that). The coral is "dead" so to speak, and not at all colorful or interesting. We had a nice time snorkeling there, but it is not the place to see beautiful coral. In places the water was so shallow it was easy to be pushed into the coral by the current.

We went with a ship's excursion (HAL), and strangely, seem to have been abandoned by the tour company that was supposed to pick us up. We waited over an hour across from the island for our bus. Someone had to call the ship to find out what was going on. The driver had "forgotten" us!

Our daughter was going to dive the site. Have you done that, if so would you recommend.

Okay so my next question to you is for our one and only time in Aruba what would be the perfect day for us without spending a fortune?

Diving the Antilla is a much different experience than floating around on top. ;) THAT I highly recommend!

I have an idea of how to plan your day so that everyone will be satisfied, what hours you will be on the island?