Enroute to Hawaii & Tahiti on Dawn Princess - Any questions

Hi Everyone,

If you'd like to know anything about this 35 day cruise or the latest on the Dawn Princess, just post here. Something new onboard...a scan of your cruise card on this special computerp near the purser's desk produces a print out of your ship account, so there's no need to bother the purser. A top idea.

We are having our Equator party today (Sunday) and arrive in Hilo in 3 days (April 25).

Hello Bob and Kay. Toni's tour was great...he is so much fun. And yes, he hopped into that famous sandwich.:D

Hi anna,

great idea with print out will save so much time for passengers and staff

Please keep us posted as we are doing the trip 2013 on sea princess

How's the weather please?

I'd like to know also what' hot and what's not as far as ports and tours go

also any paper work on places or things to see, maps etc etc etc would be great. I'd be happy to pay for postage when you get home

Please keep in touch

B&B

Emerald Princess had this feature when we sailed on her last year. It all worked very well until the printer ran out of paper. It took quite a while before someone realised the problem and loaded some more paper in the printer.

So if you see a very long queue, avoid it and come back later when the paper has been replenished.

Is 35 days too long ? We have only done the 12-18 night cruises in the past, and seeing as i am in the process of looking at a cruise to hawaii via tahiti and fly home i thought i would ask.

I think i could handle 35 days at sea but not sure about the other half.

35 days at sea means 35 days i am not at work!! gotta love that thought.:D

B&B , Weather has been sunny mostly, a bit of wind up on deck for 7 of the 11 sea days so far and we are 2 days before of Hilo. Today' temps are suppose to be 20-25 which is delightful. Our hottest so far was a day before Apia, Samoa and it was 29 then.

I'll be putting together a very comprehensive review at the end and will keep in touch.

Poppetts,

We've worked up to the long cruises (last one was 28 days) so shouldn't find the extra week too long. I think having ports sandwiched between sea days helps on longer cruises. This is a great itinerary for just that. I'm more the port person, DH is all for sea days, so we get the best of both worlds.

Thank you we are so envious and counting our days but as a withdrawal "hit" we are off to the south pacific in a few weeks for 11days.

hoping that will keep us going until 2013.....lol!

Enjoy the cruise for us too!

wish we were sitting on deck 7 listening to the water hit the bow and enjoying the calm blue waters or watching the wake snake behind us in a blue and white foam............oh! dream on B&B

Will be interested in your review......keep us posted

ENJOY!

Is 35 days too long ? We have only done the 12-18 night cruises in the past, and seeing as i am in the process of looking at a cruise to hawaii via tahiti and fly home i thought i would ask.

I think i could handle 35 days at sea but not sure about the other half.

35 days at sea means 35 days i am not at work!! gotta love that thought.:D

We did the same cruise on the Sun Princess in September 2009 - 35 days is fantastic. Only bad thing was coming back to reality after so long on the ship. (having to cook, clean, shop etc.):)

Ralph

Looking out at Maui from the IC.....ahhhh ;)

Hilo yesterday was fabulous with our private tour (Ainatours).This is the 'wettest' port and we had some light drizzle/mist in a few spots. It gets down to 19C in the higher altitudes, so if you feel cool in those temps , take a cardy. Don't miss the Volcanoes National Park...Rotorua pales in comparison. It was National Parks Week so our entry was free (normally USD 10 /vehicle).

For those who just like to shop, Hilo Hattie provides a free shuttle.

Immigration check was dreadful. Those who arrived at their assigned times were in for a 90 min wait in the queue. There were 20 people lined up at 6.15am. We arrived at 6.45 (an hour before our time slot and had a 45 min wait to be procesed). If you have a tour booked on this day, I would suggest you get to the Vista at 6am or arrival time, regardless. The purser offered no special treatment for us as a CC group.

So far the only dancers on the wharf were in Samoa. They were there at docking and departure (put on a firedance in at 7pm). I think there will be Polynesian dancers nboard in Raiatea or Papeete as we are there until the wee hours.

There are no mozzies (even when in rainforest areas), but flies around food in Tonga.

We are almost half way through the cruise and personally it's not too long. I'm a port person and can easily handle the 4-5 sea days in between the ports.

We do go to Kauai and have a tour organised there , but I will try to see how the ground lies with a trip into town.

Hope that's of some help to you planning this cruise. I'll be back here after Kona. Internet is best before 7am.

Looking out at Maui from the IC.....ahhhh ;)

Hilo yesterday was fabulous with our private tour (Ainatours).This is the 'wettest' port and we had some light drizzle/mist in a few spots. It gets down to 19C in the higher altitudes, so if you feel cool in those temps , take a cardy. Don't miss the Volcanoes National Park...Rotorua pales in comparison. It was National Parks Week so our entry was free (normally USD 10 /vehicle).

For those who just like to shop, Hilo Hattie provides a free shuttle.

Immigration check was dreadful. Those who arrived at their assigned times were in for a 90 min wait in the queue. There were 20 people lined up at 6.15am. We arrived at 6.45 (an hour before our time slot and had a 45 min wait to be procesed). If you have a tour booked on this day, I would suggest you get to the Vista at 6am or arrival time, regardless. The purser offered no special treatment for us as a CC group.

So far the only dancers on the wharf were in Samoa. They were there at docking and departure (put on a firedance in at 7pm). I think there will be Polynesian dancers nboard in Raiatea or Papeete as we are there until the wee hours.

There are no mozzies (even when in rainforest areas), but flies around food in Tonga.

We are almost half way through the cruise and personally it's not too long. I'm a port person and can easily handle the 4-5 sea days in between the ports.

We do go to Kauai and have a tour organised there , but I will try to see how the ground lies with a trip into town.

Hope that's of some help to you planning this cruise. I'll be back here after Kona. Internet is best before 7am.

hi Anna, i thought Hilo would be dreadful with the immigration and last year people were still getting processed at midday

have anyone had problems bringing on wine or is it still one bottle per voyage

glad you are enjoying your self and we'll be in Noumea with the Pearl on the 15th may and if you get off and have nothing planned give us a call and we can go for coffee

bob

Anna

Thanks so Much for looking into it for us :)

We are doing the phototour there that we read about on cc and also tripadvisor....but we have to shuttle in first......so that is why I am asking (a little confusing)..

Thanks for the tip on the flies....glad to hear no mozzies...

Keep enjoying yourselves...

We did the same cruise on the Sun Princess in September 2009 - 35 days is fantastic. Only bad thing was coming back to reality after so long on the ship. (having to cook, clean, shop etc.):)

Ralph

Also the magic card doesnt work at the local pub either !!!

Archived