Fascination Man Overboard 8-27-12? (MERGED THREADS)

ThinkingWoman

I heard on the radio at 5 AM this morning that a man had jumped off the Fascination. A security guard saw the passenger climb the railing with no one else around him. There is nothing on line yet.

I checked the marine traffic site and Fascination is off Titus Beach doing 3 knots with the Coast Guard Shrike headed towards her at 14 knots.

According to our local news site, it was reported to the Coast Guard at 2 a.m. that a security guard saw the 31 year old man jump from the 10th deck. Several Coast Guard vessels have been searching ever since. Incredibly sad.

Doesnt make sense. The ship just left port last night. What could have been so bad to make him do that

I know Carnival has made cutbacks but its not worth jumping overboard

Sad, a jumper. It's like the people who throw themselves in front of trains...why must they make everyone else suffer too?! Im sure this is very hard on the captain and crew, and the mans family. There must be a lot of anger there as well as the depression.

Doesnt make sense. The ship just left port last night. What could have been so bad to make him do that

What an incredibly ignorant statement to make! I'm sure you thought you were being clever, but to make a joke of someone's suicide just makes you look ridiculous.

My thoughts go out to the man's family, who are no doubt devestated.

What an incredibly ignorant statement to make! I'm sure you thought you were being clever, but to make a joke of someone's suicide just makes you look ridiculous.

Hey, maybe it was all about the food. If the guy was nuts maybe the fact that his warm chocolate melting cake didn't melt might have sent him over the edge.

Your entitled to your opinion and my joke may be in bad taste but I am the furthest from ignorant when it comes to these situations.

If the family was around I would have lots of compassion for their loss. I have dealt with alot of deaths over the years professionally and personally. Its not a good feeling having to tell the family you did all you could but they didnt make it. One of the worst is when a baby comes to the ER code3 and dies of SIDS. How do you explain that to a new mom:(

BUT I dont have any compassion for the person that commits suicide.

BTW the GG Bridge stopped glorifying suicides for a reason

I will NEVER understand this. Happens way too often and it is the family members that suffer.:(

Been through it twice, in one week, no less.

No matter how you try to rationalize it, you can't.

And how sad people feel they need to make pathetic jokes over this. Had this been your child, would you make the same joke?

Been through it twice, in one week, no less.

No matter how you try to rationalize it, you can't.

And how sad people feel they need to make pathetic jokes over this. Had this been your child, would you make the same joke?

Thank you...eloquently stated without stooping to someone elses level

Your entitled to your opinion and my joke may be in bad taste but I am the furthest from ignorant when it comes to these situations.

If the family was around I would have lots of compassion for their loss. I have dealt with alot of deaths over the years professionally and personally. Its not a good feeling having to tell the family you did all you could but they didnt make it. One of the worst is when a baby comes to the ER code3 and dies of SIDS. How do you explain that to a new mom:(

BUT I dont have any compassion for the person that commits suicide.

BTW the GG Bridge stopped glorifying suicides for a reason

no compassion for any person who commits suicide? Or, this person?

Don't let the Tender Heart Bears get to you, that was funny!

I feel bad for the security guard. It must be one thing to handle drunk or unruly passengers on a cruise ship and quite another to watch someone jump over and not be able to do anything about it. :cool:

The artical did not say anything about "drunk or unruly passengers".

no compassion for any person who commits suicide? Or, this person?

I have compassion for the family members not the Individual.

And yes I have experienced the emotion of a loved one taking their own life. So I have seen it from both sides.

And the only question is WHY?????? What can be so bad for someone to make that choice.

I like to put a more positive spin on something like this. Maybe the guy was recently diagnosed with an incurable illness, wanted to go out on his own terms, and spare his family the agony of living through the final stages of a prolonged death. I can think of worse ways to do it but might have waited until the last night of the cruise.

The artical did not say anything about "drunk or unruly passengers".

I didn't say it did nor was I trying to imply it did. I was simply delineating what a security guard's responsibilities may include on a general basis and the unusual occurance this time. Then commenting on the possible impact on the security guard.

Archived