weather in northeast -effect on cruises

markf

i am thinking of all the people that planned a cruise leaving today from Florida or Puerto rico --if you were planning in flying from NY or Boston --you have stress ! a good reason to buy incurance

Here in Bergen County..Northern NJ--we had a foot of snow ....NYC faired much better...BUT-some of the airports were impacted...In fact..many,many flights were cancelled yesterday....

Boston...according to radio...had over 2 feet of snow...:eek:

We live aout 50 miles west of Boston and got about 2 + feet of snow! We were supposed to fly to Tampa this morning but that flight was canceled Thursday afternoon. Jet Blue got us on a flight on Sunday but it will get to Tampa too late. NCL says they will not be holding the ship. I don't really believe that but we are not going to fly down there to find out. Right now there is a driving ban on all roads in Massachsetts (first ban like this since 1978) They say they will begin to bring flights into Logan this afternoon but the driving ban is on till at least late tonight. What they will do with all those people who will not be able to get out of the airport I have no idea. We hope to rebook our cruise sometime this week. Luckily work is not making either of us take this week off.

I am sorry you are missing your cruise --we had a Panama cruise planned a few years ago in late Oct and a hurricane hit north east and closed airports--i was so upset --but one gets over it --'there is no good answer just have to hope weather is ok--

I assume people getting off cruises today will have the reverse issue and not be able to get home

Sorry this happened. I'm in Central Mass. also and will be crusing in two weeks. I bought the insurance and will hope for the best. The the first two days of my cruise being seas days there is no way I am going to fly down and meet the ship at the first port and would rather cancel all together.

We fly out for our cruise a month from today. I am hoping this storm is our only big one this year! Just heard they are aiming to open Boston's Logan Airport at 11pm tonight. We're north of the city with almost 3 feet of snow. Good news is that they've been predicting this storm all week and they turned out to be pretty accurate in our area.

We live aout 50 miles west of Boston and got about 2 + feet of snow! We were supposed to fly to Tampa this morning but that flight was canceled Thursday afternoon. Jet Blue got us on a flight on Sunday but it will get to Tampa too late. NCL says they will not be holding the ship. I don't really believe that but we are not going to fly down there to find out. Right now there is a driving ban on all roads in Massachsetts (first ban like this since 1978) They say they will begin to bring flights into Logan this afternoon but the driving ban is on till at least late tonight. What they will do with all those people who will not be able to get out of the airport I have no idea. We hope to rebook our cruise sometime this week. Luckily work is not making either of us take this week off.

I'm so sorry! You have a much better attitude about this than I would. Wishing you all the best. We'll be on the Dawn next month...you should join us! :D

Markf, we're on the 3/4 Gem cruise with you. Ironically, over a year ago we had booked a 14 nite cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse leaving today from FL. We had to cancel several months ago for several reasons and it killed me as we had a super rate for such a long good cruise.

Then, this storm hits. We would of left yesterday morn early as it being 14 days my wife couldn't have take any more time off. I'm not sure if those flights got out or not. I understand Celebrity has held off leaving until around Midnight tonight to help those with travel issues.

So, one never knows...........

We live in central Massachusetts, and received 2 1/2 ft. of snow. DH just finished clearing deep snow off of our roof with a snow rake.

I think that the driving ban has ended, because we can see cars passing on Rt. 85.

Our cruise is not until April, for that, we're greatful. Hopefully, all can reschedule without problems.

Question: If enough people booked flights through NCL, would they hold the ship for cruises leaving today or tomorrow?

We also live in Central Mass and it is unreal how much snow is out there. Best Jet Blue could do for us is fly us down tomorrow and arrive in Tampa @ 2:10. NCL says that is too late, all aboard by 3. Told my travel agent they would not hold the ship. So now I am trying to rebook air and then the cruise. Hopefully in the not too distant future. Yes driving ban was lifted at 4 but Gov Patrick wants people off the road if possible.

We also live in Central Mass and it is unreal how much snow is out there. Best Jet Blue could do for us is fly us down tomorrow and arrive in Tampa @ 2:10. NCL says that is too late, all aboard by 3. Told my travel agent they would not hold the ship. So now I am trying to rebook air and then the cruise. Hopefully in the not too distant future. Yes driving ban was lifted at 4 but Gov Patrick wants people off the road if possible.

The airport is about 15 miles. I think it is doable. Most NCL reps do not know what they are talking about. If you talk to five different ones, you will get five different answers. I think the circumstances would be different if you were one case but I have a feeling there will be a lot of people in this same situation tomorrow. Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

We are in Western MA.. We leave for our cruise in two weeks... after this snowstorm and seeing how bad the flight situation is, we're going to keep our ear to the ground a few days before seeing if there's going to be more bad weather that could impact flights. If there is we're going to scrap our flights down, rent a car, and just drive down, hopefully ahead of any crappy weather.

Good luck to those of you who've had your plans interrupted, I think it's super crappy that NCL won't even delay like two hours for people in New England and elsewhere impacted :(

I live in southern Nh. This January was the first time in six cruises I bought the insurance due to exactly the scenario people are in today. Ultimately, NcL and other cruise lines can choose to be helpful but really, they don't owe anyone anything. He offer you the insurance when booking and if any of us are stupid enough to say no, we're out of luck.

I believe a cruise may delay departure for a few hours but thats about it--one reason is docking fees are expensive --another is not fair to people who got there in time--of course you can join at the first port if you missed the departure day

I believe a cruise may delay departure for a few hours but thats about it--one reason is docking fees are expensive --another is not fair to people who got there in time--of course you can join at the first port if you missed the departure day

If NCL has airfare booked for people they may hold the ship. Believe me if it were humanly possible we would have been there on time. We were supposed to fly out on Saturday and the flight was canceled on Thursday afternoon. we have been on several cruise that were late in leaving for just that reason. I didn't have a problem at all waiting a few hours so people with weather issues wouldn't miss their cruise. We did rebook today. Jet Blue was awesome in taking care of rebooking.

I don't mean this to sound like a statement it's a question with no sarcasm.the news was reporting this monster of a storm for a week before it hit why didn't you rework the travel arraignment .I told my wife the situation and her words to me where "my butt would be in my car Friday after work for a he'll of a long ride".I said ok but we leave Friday morning she said ok.

I don't mean this to sound like a statement it's a question with no sarcasm.the news was reporting this monster of a storm for a week before it hit why didn't you rework the travel arraignment .I told my wife the situation and her words to me where "my butt would be in my car Friday after work for a he'll of a long ride".I said ok but we leave Friday morning she said ok.

Not trying to rub it in but this is an excellent point. Several years ago we had a cruise out of FT L in Feb. I monitored the pending weather forecasts diligently and when the inevitable storm appeared I had time to make changes in our flights and accomadations prior to boarding. Yes, it cost us a few bucks but when you live in the Northeast and are dying to get out of the cold for a few days you do what you have to.

There's another storm on the horizon in Boston for next Saturday which is take-off day for us to get to the Pearl by Sunday in Miami--I've already picked out the all-inclusive I want to stay in while I wait for the ship in Jamaica! (Luckily I do have insurance--always have and never needed it until maybe now). If we have to be on the ship by 3 we'll never make it, according to possible flight schedules on our carrier. Maybe I'll check out other carriers and see if insurance will pay for those tickets to avoid a delay. Just thinking out loud...

If NCL has airfare booked for people they may hold the ship. Believe me if it were humanly possible we would have been there on time. We were supposed to fly out on Saturday and the flight was canceled on Thursday afternoon. we have been on several cruise that were late in leaving for just that reason. I didn't have a problem at all waiting a few hours so people with weather issues wouldn't miss their cruise. We did rebook today. Jet Blue was awesome in taking care of rebooking.

Even if your air is through NCL, if you call the emergency air number you will find that they will not hold the ship for just a couple people, but will help you get to the next port.

Archived