Lookoing for a good beach/bar

IslandDreamers

• 3 months later...
Planning our first trip to Martinique. Our group is looking for a fun beach with a bar & facilities. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance! ;)

I hope it's not too late to answer since you asked a while back. We just went to Martinique and found the perfect location with everything you are looking for.

When you get off the ship, walk down the dock a little until you come to the waiting area for the ferry. It runs regularly, but if you want to get a good spot and chairs on the beach, grab the first ferry, because the beach gets crowded later in the morning.

The ferry takes you to Pointe du Bout. It costs $10 round trip. Once you get to the other side, walk up the path to the beach (someone will point the way) You will pass by a charming little town with lots of shops and restaurants. At the end of the walkway, go to the left and you will come to a nice little beach at Hotel Bakoua. They have a nice bar that sits over the beach, or you can rent lounge chairs for $20. They reserve the umbrellas for the hotel guests, but the man let us use one anyway since we had already put our stuff there before we knew any better.

Cruisers who arrived later were turned away because there were no loungers left, but you could have still gone to the bar or lay a towel on the beach. There is also a free beach area with no amenities to the right.

We had a fantastic day there and then spent some time shopping in the little town. Just make sure you catch a ferry back in plenty of time. We took the 2 pm ferry back which ran about 20 minutes late. the ferry was completely full with students also riding home from school.

Here are a few pictures. I have a full review and more pictures in my signature under the Jewel:

IMG_96532_zps58b7fdb6.jpg

The beach:

IMG_9630_zps1276bbb6.jpg

The bar:

IMG_9636_zps1bb905b0.jpg

English is very limited and the beach is "top" optional. The only topless bather we saw were laying on the beach, though- not at the bar.

• 2 weeks later...
I hope it's not too late to answer since you asked a while back. We just went to Martinique and found the perfect location with everything you are looking for.

When you get off the ship, walk down the dock a little until you come to the waiting area for the ferry. It runs regularly, but if you want to get a good spot and chairs on the beach, grab the first ferry, because the beach gets crowded later in the morning.

The ferry takes you to Pointe du Bout. It costs $10 round trip. Once you get to the other side, walk up the path to the beach (someone will point the way) You will pass by a charming little town with lots of shops and restaurants. At the end of the walkway, go to the left and you will come to a nice little beach at Hotel Bakoua. They have a nice bar that sits over the beach, or you can rent lounge chairs for $20. They reserve the umbrellas for the hotel guests, but the man let us use one anyway since we had already put our stuff there before we knew any better.

Cruisers who arrived later were turned away because there were no loungers left, but you could have still gone to the bar or lay a towel on the beach. There is also a free beach area with no amenities to the right.

We had a fantastic day there and then spent some time shopping in the little town. Just make sure you catch a ferry back in plenty of time. We took the 2 pm ferry back which ran about 20 minutes late. the ferry was completely full with students also riding home from school.

Here are a few pictures. I have a full review and more pictures in my signature under the Jewel:

IMG_96532_zps58b7fdb6.jpg

The beach:

IMG_9630_zps1276bbb6.jpg

The bar:

IMG_9636_zps1bb905b0.jpg

English is very limited and the beach is "top" optional. The only topless bather we saw were laying on the beach, though- not at the bar.

Thank you so much for posting this - it looks awesome!!! Did you convert your dollars to euros before you went there?

Thank you so much for posting this - it looks awesome!!! Did you convert your dollars to euros before you went there?

We did not convert dollars to Euros before we went there. I had about 10 euros worth of change leftover from a previous trip to France which came in handy when we stopped at a small, local glaces (ice-cream) shop that did not accept American dollars. Most places did accept either dollars or credit cards, so we didn't have any issues.

Edited by MDSue

We did not convert dollars to Euros before we went there. I had about 10 euros worth of change leftover from a previous trip to France which came in handy when we stopped at a small, local glaces (ice-cream) shop that did not accept American dollars. Most places did accept either dollars or credit cards, so we didn't have any issues.

Thanks for the reply! We're most interested in this over the water bar!! Did they accept US dollars?