Recommendation hotel Sydney AU

Just returned from cruise on Marina - Papeete to Sydney. We saw some great hotels around Darling Harbour. The Novotel and the Ibis. However, we have heard great reviews of a boutique hotel called 1888 - located just behind the Novotel. I'm sure it is less expensive but in a great area. Unfortunately we stayed in an area we would not recommend. When we return next Feb. we will probably stay at the 1888.

Is where I stayed.... it is a 100 yard walk from the ferry terminal and Quay the transportation hub of Sydney

Has a great breakfast include in rates and great views + Marriott service and staff....Business center if you need it.

Best of all the walk is ALL level and you only cross 1 street surrounded by all sorts of cafes. AND if your a Marriott program member it gives you points !!!

If you and your other get a Marriott Credit card each will get 1 free night and 30,000 points Between the 2 of you that's 4 free nights at many Marriott hotels world wide....... class 1-5. If your going to travel and stay in hotels, then standardizing on 1 hotel brand will pay off and make every penny you spend count for something.

My vote is location-comfort , convenient and rewards ..... trumps cute and boutique .

Just returned from cruise on Marina - Papeete to Sydney. We saw some great hotels around Darling Harbour. The Novotel and the Ibis. However, we have heard great reviews of a boutique hotel called 1888 - located just behind the Novotel. I'm sure it is less expensive but in a great area. Unfortunately we stayed in an area we would not recommend. When we return next Feb. we will probably stay at the 1888.

Thanks for the info. What area would you not recommend?

the Kings Cross Area and the area to the west and south of Victoria Park and the central railway station. When the park ends so should you !!

I would add while not a safety issue steer clear of the hub-bub around Darling harbor it is like a mall. Too Sydney down town is very hilly...stick close to the shore line in Sydney proper. Ferrys comprise a huge form of transport. Locate a hotel that as close as possible to a ferry stop.. Traffic in and around Sydney is bad

Unfortunately we stayed in the area that Hawaiidan said not to, near Central Station. The recommendation came from my nephew who was backpacking there about 10 yrs. ago. I should have done more research. Good thing is, we didn't spend much time at the hotel anyway. Way to much to see in Sydney.

I agree with Hawaiidan. The Sydney Harbour Marriott at Circular Quay is in a fantastic location. Near the Harbour, the Sydney Bridge, the Sydney Opera House, and the Hop On Hop Off bus. It is a very nice hotel.

I agree with Hawaiidan. The Sydney Harbour Marriott at Circular Quay is in a fantastic location. Near the Harbour, the Sydney Bridge, the Sydney Opera House, and the Hop On Hop Off bus. It is a very nice hotel.

I was on the fence about using my discount (Marriott Corporate employee) or the Westin (where I rack up credit card points on my Amex). I'm glad you told me this. I'll dig a little deeper but I had a feeling the Marriott would be a better stay. Thanks again.

We often stay at the Intercontinental on Macquarie St. It is in a great location very close to Circular Quay, the Opera House & the Botanical Gardens. It has very good sound proofing in the rooms so no traffic noise is heard. The rooms are a good size& have a pleasant widow seat to enjoy the great views .The Watson Bay rooms have the best view, but some may prefer the more expensive rooms with views of the Opera House & the Harbour Bridge. We have always found the service to be excellent.

Bill I would recommend Four Seasons: Pullman Quay not Pullman Hyde Park: as mentioned Intercontinental: also Radisson Blu all close to circular quay: But have to say I usually stay at the Westin, centrally located right in the heart of Sydney, and of course Hilton as well...hope these suggestions give you some ideas...v

We usually stay at the Sheraton on the Park or The Sydney Harbour Marriott at Circular Quay. Both are nice hotels but if you wish to do a lot of walking the Marriott is more central to the Opera House, Harbour Bridge, Cafes etc and is easy walking. The bus change over stop is also only 2-3 minutes walk which takes you uphill into the city. You can also catch the Explorer buses from Circular Quay. A lot depends on how long you will be there and also where the ship is docking. The Marriott is only close to the International Cruise terminal not the new terminal.

Agree with wirpro re the Park Hyatt - nicest if you can afford it. If only for the views.

http://www.sydney.park.hyatt.com/en/hotel/our-hotel/hotel-features.html

Rhonda

Edited by rhohea

We usually stay at the Sheraton on the Park or The Sydney Harbour Marriott at Circular Quay. Both are nice hotels but if you wish to do a lot of walking the Marriott is more central to the Opera House, Harbour Bridge, Cafes etc and is easy walking. The bus change over stop is also only 2-3 minutes walk which takes you uphill into the city. You can also catch the Explorer buses from Circular Quay. A lot depends on how long you will be there and also where the ship is docking. The Marriott is only close to the International Cruise terminal not the new terminal.

Agree with wirpro re the Park Hyatt - nicest if you can afford it. If only for the views.

http://www.sydney.park.hyatt.com/en/hotel/our-hotel/hotel-features.html

Rhonda

I was surprised to see that the cheapest room at the Marriott for Feb 2015 was 399 AUD per night.

I was surprised to see that the cheapest room at the Marriott for Feb 2015 was 399 AUD per night.

If your over 60... the rate at the Marriott is 339 AUD= $315 uSD PER NIGHT

if you have 35000 points per night its free. Price line has it for $335 and I think their " 5 star" unknown...$236 a Feb 16-19

Of the 3 hotels, it is the shortest walk to the ferrys and explorer bus stop

Fourseasons $386 AUD- up a small incline /hill next to the Sydney bridge hiway... great shopping and very up-scale 1/2 mile walk to Ferry/Buses

Park Hyatt $ 1000,00 AUD= $930 USD a night....without a doubt the best location for view in Sydney.... but very long walk to ferry and tours

Edited by Hawaiidan

We stayed here:

http://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/sydney/sydgs/hoteldetail

Reasonable price, excellent location...couldn't stay any closer to the dock...literally across the street from the ship... (Of course, make sure you know exactly where you are docking...there are two different areas in Sydney where cruise ships dock).

We have stayed at both the Marriott and Park Hyatt.

For the money & location the Marriott is hard to beat but the best bargain is to get a Chase Hyatt card:

https://creditcards.chase.com/lp9/hyatt/search?CELL=6RRW&jp_cmp=cc/05BRHyattExact/sea/na/HyattChase&MSC=IQ30668993

and you get 2 free nights there (worth close to $1900). If you need more than 2 nights, then get a card for each of you. True, there is a required spend but it can be easily reached in 3 months (pay $1000 towards the cruise?). Also, there is no annual fee for first year -afterwards you can cancel the card or keep it and get a free night annually for $75.

Caveat, do the above only if you are able to plan well ahead to make sure you can get you nights at Park Hyatt (we had 3 free nights there :).

We stayed at the Marriott which is in virtually the best position BUT the rooms are small and there is minimal space to hang clothes and from memory only two small drawers. We actually got them to send up a clothes rail.

The Executive lounge was quite small but had some nice snacks in the Evening.

brian

Has anyone stayed at the Westin in Sydney? It seems to get decent reviews. Curious of anyone's opinion on that property. We collect starwood points and ideally we'd save some $ by staying there.

Thanks.

Dominic

Has anyone stayed at the Westin in Sydney? It seems to get decent reviews. Curious of anyone's opinion on that property. We collect starwood points and ideally we'd save some $ by staying there.

Thanks.

Dominic

Sydney is much like SAN Fran or Seattle....lots of hills.... and they start at the harbor and go UP!!!

The Westin will be quite a up-hill hike of about 3/4 of a mile, each way from the Ferry/ Explorer bus station.. The other point is it has no view being low rise amid high-rise. Lots of character...but that's it

You must ask...what is your intent in Sydney. Shopping or Touring.

If it is the latter then your in the wrong place

We do too! We've stayed twice at this hotel and the location was fantastic as is the hotel. We stayed on points both times and breakfast was not included but right outside the door in back of the hotel are several small places where you can do breakfast without spending very much money.

Last time we were there (2012), we were with another couple and they were not Marriott Rewards members. We told them the same thing that Dan recommended (the Marriott Visa card) and they got enough points as a signing bonus to use it for the hotel. Sydney is a wonderful city with lots to see and do so you may need to stay more than one night prior!

Enjoy Australia and your cruise,

Billie