Dominica.. cooking with Daria

bettyboop16

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

We did the cooking class with Daria on 2/12/2014. It was a lot of fun & there were 6 of us & we each had the opportunity to prepare a dish using fresh ingredients & then we ate what we prepared. Daria had a dining table nicely decorated for us.

Daria e-mail her recipes to me on 2/18/14

Her house is in the mountains & she has a fabulous covered outdoor kitchen & very tropical landscaping.

Betty

Edited by bettyboop16

"Cooking Caribbean" with Daria on Dominica

http://experiencescaribbean.com/joomla/cooking.html

Here is the website for "Cooking Caribbean" with Daria and Michael Eugene. Had a difficult time finding the site. The business card Daria gave me Feb. 2014 was out of date; the site listed on it isn't there.

That said, we had a wonderful time and would highly recommend this to anyone visiting the lovely island of Dominica!

We have taken some 15 cruises and this side trip was the most unique and enjoyable of all of them.

First, the cooking class is held in the open air kitchen (under a solid roof) of a lovely private home, up high in the hills overlooking the water. The owner and hostess, Daria Eugene, is a lovely gracious lady who welcomed our small group of eight to her home.

We all assisted her in preparing several native Creole style dishes, all of which used local fresh ingredients, all of which were absolutely delicious. Among them: Creole Fish, Rice & Beans in Coconut Milk, and Fried Plantains dipped in fresh coconut. There was also a unique rum drink using puréed pumpkin... Different and delicious!

All recipes were emailed to us later the same day. Email address: jtasexperience@gmail.com

Once the cooking was done, we all sat down to share the meal and chat for an hour, a delightful adult experience, that is, not one to bring children to. Doesn't mean that children aren't welcome there but this is not food or an experience for little kids or picky "I want fries!" eaters. It is for those who are a bit adventurous in their culinary lives... and generally, that means adults.

All of us agreed that it was the most pleasant three hours we'd spent anywhere and would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn about local culture firsthand in a genuine, non-touristy setting.

• 1 year later...
"Cooking Caribbean" with Daria on Dominica

http://experiencescaribbean.com/joomla/cooking.html

Here is the website for "Cooking Caribbean" with Daria and Michael Eugene. Had a difficult time finding the site. The business card Daria gave me Feb. 2014 was out of date; the site listed on it isn't there.

That said, we had a wonderful time and would highly recommend this to anyone visiting the lovely island of Dominica!

We have taken some 15 cruises and this side trip was the most unique and enjoyable of all of them.

First, the cooking class is held in the open air kitchen (under a solid roof) of a lovely private home, up high in the hills overlooking the water. The owner and hostess, Daria Eugene, is a lovely gracious lady who welcomed our small group of eight to her home.

We all assisted her in preparing several native Creole style dishes, all of which used local fresh ingredients, all of which were absolutely delicious. Among them: Creole Fish, Rice & Beans in Coconut Milk, and Fried Plantains dipped in fresh coconut. There was also a unique rum drink using puréed pumpkin... Different and delicious!

All recipes were emailed to us later the same day. Email address: jtasexperience@gmail.com

Once the cooking was done, we all sat down to share the meal and chat for an hour, a delightful adult experience, that is, not one to bring children to. Doesn't mean that children aren't welcome there but this is not food or an experience for little kids or picky "I want fries!" eaters. It is for those who are a bit adventurous in their culinary lives... and generally, that means adults.

All of us agreed that it was the most pleasant three hours we'd spent anywhere and would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn about local culture firsthand in a genuine, non-touristy setting.

Just wondering if anyone else had experience with this tour. Celebrity is running it if it is the same one

• 3 weeks later...

We did the cooking class with Daria in December 2013 & again in December 2014. 1st time was just my husband & I. This last time was with family & friends. One of my all time favorite Caribbean island experiences.

• 4 months later...

I found the site that describes the tour, but I can not seem to find any info about pricing or how to book. We are on Princess in Feb 2016 and it is not offered as an excursion. Would love to know if we can book privately.

• 3 weeks later...
we did this tour a couple of years ago independently as our ship did not offer it. here is a blog report I did about the tour with pics http://vickieandbernietravel.blogspot.ca/2013/01/sunday-and-dominica.html

Thanks Vickie for the link. Awesome pics & info! I love your blog & have followed along for quite awhile now. We are with you on the Royal Jan 29th and I am looking forward to the chance to meet you.

We are "neighbors" - we live in the Bellingham area. : )

Thanks Vickie for the link. Awesome pics & info! I love your blog & have followed along for quite awhile now. We are with you on the Royal Jan 29th and I am looking forward to the chance to meet you.

i believe you are also on my facebook page ??? yes lets touch base closer to and arrange lunch or something on board

• 3 months later...

did you book the cooking class? We are thinking of doing it. I have emailed them. Haven't heard back.

Vickie

did you book the cooking class? We are thinking of doing it. I have emailed them. Haven't heard back.

Vickie

Hi Vickie!

No, we did not book it. I had attempted to contact them quite a while back, but I did not get a response.

Looking forward to our Jan cruise, I finally feel like it is just around the corner! : )

Edited by #1Nanna

Hi Vickie!

No, we did not book it. I had attempted to contact them quite a while back, but I did not get a response.

Looking forward to our Jan cruise, I finally feel like it is just around the corner! : )

I heard back from them but when I checked with my friends who are sailing with us none were really interested so I have decided to do something else.

But it is a great class

I heard back from them but when I checked with my friends who are sailing with us none were really interested so I have decided to do something else.

But it is a great class

A loss for them!!!! This is a great class...even if you arent really into cooking. The location is stunning and the food is great. A lot of fun!!:D

A loss for them!!!! This is a great class...even if you arent really into cooking. The location is stunning and the food is great. A lot of fun!!:D

yes I agree, we loved the class when we did it and would of had fun doing it again, but there will be other times

• 1 month later...

We did this tour a couple of weeks ago. We thought the tour was well done but it was way over booked. There were about 45 people there and we did not get a chance to assist in any of the cooking. It would be a good tour for 25 people but 45 was too many. I do not think this is the norm but it was this day. Daria even said because there was 2 ships in she had a extra large group. I should have complained to Celebrity but was too busy enjoying my cruise

• 2 months later...

We completed our cooking class last week with Daria and it far exceeded our expectations. There were only 3 in the class so really got some special treatment! Food was excellent and Daria had a lot of interesting information to share regarding local fruits, vegetables, and spices. Their home is located on the mountain in a beautiful setting with lovely views of the water. If you are looking for something different to do with a local feel, this may be the excursion for you.

• 1 month later...

We did this tour through Celebrity in Oct last year. Had read great reviews and it was good but have to agree that on our day there were too many people booked. I think we were around 40 in our group and feel the hands on experience suffered because of it. The location is beautiful, the food was tasty and overall it was good but I do think the experience varies based on the size of the group. Would be much better with a smaller group.