Bermuda cruise…Dawn suite vs Summit FV

countingbackwards

My family is currently booked on the Summit in a FV stateroom for a cruise to Bermuda - the corner aft stateroom with the huge balcony (with the 123Go beverage package of course!). I've noticed when looking around that for the same price, we could be in an SD family suite with balcony on the Dawn, which comes with full NCL suite perks and is a HUGE stateroom.

My kids, currently 6 and 9, were very happy on the Carnival Destiny's kids club 2 years ago (and I mean VERY happy - they would cry when we came to get them at 9:30 pm!). Based on the state of that kids club prior to the ship's dry-dock, the fun must have been due to the staff on-board and the activities they were doing…which means, to me, they'd probably be happy with the kids' clubs on either the Dawn or Summit as long as the staff are good. I'm presuming that there's a bit more to do for both kids and adults on the Dawn, and a bit more relaxation to be had on the Summit…really, both options sound good to me.

My wife's feeling is that she's not overly comfortable with the idea of a butler, though the extra space would be nice.

So…my question…if you were choosing between Summit in an FV with the drinks package, or the Dawn in an SD family suite with no drinks package, which would you go with?

BTW - not considering the Breakaway at this point because the price is too high (would be in a much smaller room for a bit more $$ than the other 2 options, along with an extra hundred in parking at the port), and the idea of lines for everything without suite perks sounds like it would be an inferior experience to the other 2 ships.

Thanks for any input!

My family is currently booked on the Summit in a FV stateroom for a cruise to Bermuda - the corner aft stateroom with the huge balcony (with the 123Go beverage package of course!). I've noticed when looking around that for the same price, we could be in an SD family suite with balcony on the Dawn, which comes with full NCL suite perks and is a HUGE stateroom.

My kids, currently 6 and 9, were very happy on the Carnival Destiny's kids club 2 years ago (and I mean VERY happy - they would cry when we came to get them at 9:30 pm!). Based on the state of that kids club prior to the ship's dry-dock, the fun must have been due to the staff on-board and the activities they were doing…which means, to me, they'd probably be happy with the kids' clubs on either the Dawn or Summit as long as the staff are good. I'm presuming that there's a bit more to do for both kids and adults on the Dawn, and a bit more relaxation to be had on the Summit…really, both options sound good to me.

My wife's feeling is that she's not overly comfortable with the idea of a butler, though the extra space would be nice.

So…my question…if you were choosing between Summit in an FV with the drinks package, or the Dawn in an SD family suite with no drinks package, which would you go with?

BTW - not considering the Breakaway at this point because the price is too high (would be in a much smaller room for a bit more $$ than the other 2 options, along with an extra hundred in parking at the port), and the idea of lines for everything without suite perks sounds like it would be an inferior experience to the other 2 ships.

Thanks for any input!

Ah...you sound like me. You book the cruise than scour every other possible itinerary and cruise line to see if you can't find a better vacation - my wife calls me obsessive...lol.

But to your question, we don't drink but love suite perks, so would go with Dawn. Also another consideration - when will you be sailing? If it's over summer, you may want a ship that has more to offer kids, as the ship will be loaded with them. So, while your kids may not be that into some of the things on Dawn, these things will help to occupy the other 500 or more kids on the cruise. Lastly, I always look for convenience - I.e., which port is easiest for me to reach (if cost and ports are all equal). For our next cruise, I loved the itinerary of Fem, but went with Grandeur because it was easier to reach...lol.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Ah...you sound like me. You book the cruise than scour every other possible itinerary and cruise line to see if you can't find a better vacation - my wife calls me obsessive...lol.

But to your question, we don't drink but love suite perks, so would go with Dawn. Also another consideration - when will you be sailing? If it's over summer, you may want a ship that has more to offer kids, as the ship will be loaded with them. So, while your kids may not be that into some of the things on Dawn, these things will help to occupy the other 500 or more kids on the cruise. Lastly, I always look for convenience - I.e., which port is easiest for me to reach (if cost and ports are all equal). For our next cruise, I loved the itinerary of Fem, but went with Grandeur because it was easier to reach...lol.

Haha…you've got me figured out, we don't do many family vacations so when we do them, I try to organize them right…not "right" as in expensive/luxury "right", but "right" as in best value "right". So if the Dawn with its Cagney's breakfasts/lunches, more space, priority embark and debark and a butler (with less line issues to consider due to the suite perks) is a better overall value than the Summit FV with bev package, then that's the one I want. If the Summit is a better value, then that's the one I want. I have no allegiance to either brand, having never sailed with them, so just want the best possible vacation for the money.

We will be sailing in May, so it won't be high season in terms of kid count…which is fine by me, as my kids tend to be more social in smaller groups than in bigger ones.

My wife and I are not big drinkers, but we are a bit picky when we do drink…she enjoys nice wines (not "exclusive" wines, but nice ones), I enjoy better quality hard stuff and beer. I don't want to take in a zillion extra calories in beverage form, but I'm fairly particular about what I do take in (for example…I can't drink Bacardi rum, Gosling's Black Seal rum on the other hand is fantastic!). So the beverage package does suit us, but I don't think it would kill us to do without - it just means that the ultimate cost will wind up a bit higher on NCL given approx. the same starting price, since we'd spend some money on drinks (and likely on specialty dining and extra tips).

Haha…you've got me figured out, we don't do many family vacations so when we do them, I try to organize them right…not "right" as in expensive/luxury "right", but "right" as in best value "right". So if the Dawn with its Cagney's breakfasts/lunches, more space, priority embark and debark and a butler (with less line issues to consider due to the suite perks) is a better overall value than the Summit FV with bev package, then that's the one I want. If the Summit is a better value, then that's the one I want. I have no allegiance to either brand, having never sailed with them, so just want the best possible vacation for the money.

We will be sailing in May, so it won't be high season in terms of kid count…which is fine by me, as my kids tend to be more social in smaller groups than in bigger ones.

My wife and I are not big drinkers, but we are a bit picky when we do drink…she enjoys nice wines (not "exclusive" wines, but nice ones), I enjoy better quality hard stuff and beer. I don't want to take in a zillion extra calories in beverage form, but I'm fairly particular about what I do take in (for example…I can't drink Bacardi rum, Gosling's Black Seal rum on the other hand is fantastic!). So the beverage package does suit us, but I don't think it would kill us to do without - it just means that the ultimate cost will wind up a bit higher on NCL given approx. the same starting price, since we'd spend some money on drinks (and likely on specialty dining and extra tips).

lol... I hear ya. I took the family to WDW, and my son (3) pretty much hated most of the things that make Disney Disney, so I now look for best value too, as we only get one week of family vacation per year, so need to make it count.

Celebrity is considered a classier line than NCL, and I would not hesitate to sail on Summit. As Rebecca mention, their kids club gets rave reviews. Their dining is a notch above too. I think both ships are about same size too. Seeing as you are not going during peak season, Summit would be fine. I did read that Summit cannot handle the summer rush of kids as well as other lines, so that was my only concern.

One last thing to consider - the water (ocean) will be cold in Bermuda in May, so see which ship offers the better pool area...lol...the kids may be depending more time there than in the ocean.

lol... I hear ya. I took the family to WDW, and my son (3) pretty much hated most of the things that make Disney Disney, so I now look for best value too, as we only get one week of family vacation per year, so need to make it count.

Celebrity is considered a classier line than NCL, and I would not hesitate to sail on Summit. As Rebecca mention, their kids club gets rave reviews. Their dining is a notch above too. I think both ships are about same size too. Seeing as you are not going during peak season, Summit would be fine. I did read that Summit cannot handle the summer rush of kids as well as other lines, so that was my only concern.

One last thing to consider - the water (ocean) will be cold in Bermuda in May, so see which ship offers the better pool area...lol...the kids may be depending more time there than in the ocean.

I used to live in Bermuda and am pretty comfortable swimming there in late May, I did it when I lived there - we're going after the Bermuda Day, which on May 24 marks the official opening of the swimming season for locals. Also…being Canadian, I have perhaps different expectation of what swimmable water is. May waters in Bermuda will be quite acceptable to the kids, so long as the Man-O-War's are at bay.

That said, my research shows me that there is no kids' pool on the Summit but that its regular pool should be OK for my kids (both can swim), whereas they would have 2 pool options (kids and regular) and waterslides on the Dawn.

That's an interesting point about the Summit being a problem for kids only when there are lots of them aboard…if this was a July cruise, that would be enough to make up my mind.

I guess it comes down to, is the inherently classiness of the Celebrity line and dining rooms along with the bev package enough to offset the loss of suite perks? It seems that the Dawn would be marginally better for the kids in terms of options, but not enough to make a decision based on that difference - my guess is that they'll be having a great time on either ship (kids club + pool + fun food that they're not usually allowed to eat = a great week for them). So it comes down to which would be better for the adults.

I guess if I stick with the Summit, that I'd be best off switching to Select Dining with kids? Thus somewhat combining the virtues of the 2 lines?

I used to live in Bermuda and am pretty comfortable swimming there in late May, I did it when I lived there - we're going after the Bermuda Day, which on May 24 marks the official opening of the swimming season for locals. Also…being Canadian, I have perhaps different expectation of what swimmable water is. May waters in Bermuda will be quite acceptable to the kids, so long as the Man-O-War's are at bay.

That said, my research shows me that there is no kids' pool on the Summit but that its regular pool should be OK for my kids (both can swim), whereas they would have 2 pool options (kids and regular) and waterslides on the Dawn.

That's an interesting point about the Summit being a problem for kids only when there are lots of them aboard…if this was a July cruise, that would be enough to make up my mind.

I guess it comes down to, is the inherently classiness of the Celebrity line and dining rooms along with the bev package enough to offset the loss of suite perks? It seems that the Dawn would be marginally better for the kids in terms of options, but not enough to make a decision based on that difference - my guess is that they'll be having a great time on either ship (kids club + pool + fun food that they're not usually allowed to eat = a great week for them). So it comes down to which would be better for the adults.

I guess if I stick with the Summit, that I'd be best off switching to Select Dining with kids? Thus somewhat combining the virtues of the 2 lines?

Yes. I am sure you do have different expectations for swimming...lol

You got that right. We took our son on Grandeur, which has relatively few bells and whistles, but it had pool, kids club, and fun food. He had a blast. If he had been spoiled by one of the mega ships, then I know he would might have been disappointed. But we went to Bermuda and had a great time.

In terms of adults, tough choice. I would guess that food is a bit more upscale of Summit, but I looked at Dawn, and it seems like there might be more entertainment and dining options there. So, what are you more interested in, a peaceful, more elegant cruise with better food, or more dining and entertainment options?

How are reviews for Dawn compared to Summit.

I'd go with the Dawn, just for the suite. NCL has great suite perks (like having meals served to you in your stateroom, even from specialty restaurants). Since you are sailing to Bermuda, the ship is like a floating hotel, and I'd go for the nicer room. I also like freestyle dining, and I think that if you are in a suite, no lines for you. I also like the entertainment on NCL.

I have cruised on the Celebrity Summit - as well as two different NCL cruises (though not on the Dawn or in a suite) with teenagers.

NCL - unless you eat in specialty restaurants, the food has been average and the freestyle dining often meant longer waits. Celebrity - food was much better in my opinion. Kid/Teen Clubs - have to give the edge to Celebrity; NCL had limited hours on our last cruise that were not as convenient. NCL has the edge on entertainment - though Celebrity was still very enjoyable. Also - great perk of the Celebrity Summit specifically - the thalassotherapy pool on the Summit. It is covered & heated if weather is still cool in May and a great way to get in some relaxation in general.

Overall, Celebrity offers a more 'upscale' experience - though still relaxed enough for a family and not as extreme as the high-end cruise lines. I would definitely stick with the Summit.

I have cruised on the Celebrity Summit - as well as two different NCL cruises (though not on the Dawn or in a suite) with teenagers

NCL - unless you eat in specialty restaurants, the food has been average and the freestyle dining often meant longer waits. Celebrity - food was much better in my opinion. Kid/Teen Clubs - have to give the edge to Celebrity; NCL had limited hours on our last cruise that were not as convenient. NCL has the edge on entertainment - though Celebrity was still very enjoyable. Also - great perk of the Celebrity Summit specifically - the thalassotherapy pool on the Summit. It is covered & heated if weather is still cool in May and a great way to get in some relaxation in general.

Overall, Celebrity offers a more 'upscale' experience - though still relaxed enough for a family and not as extreme as the high-end cruise lines. I would definitely stick with the Summit.

My youngest daughter was 6 when we went on Celebrity Summit. My son was 5 when we just sailed on NCL Epic in November - so a pretty decent baseline to compare that age group on the two different cruise lines. BE SURE to check info on the kids clubs for NCL before making a decision - on our last cruise the kids club was always closed between 12-2 and 5-7 on at sea days. This was really tough going back and forth to the kids club...or trying to schedule other 'grown up activities'. Seemed like as soon as you dropped them off - you were figuring out when to leave to go pick them up. Not nearly as relaxing as I had hoped.

My youngest daughter was 6 when we went on Celebrity Summit. My son was 5 when we just sailed on NCL Epic in November - so a pretty decent baseline to compare that age group on the two different cruise lines. BE SURE to check info on the kids clubs for NCL before making a decision - on our last cruise the kids club was always closed between 12-2 and 5-7 on at sea days. This was really tough going back and forth to the kids club...or trying to schedule other 'grown up activities'. Seemed like as soon as you dropped them off - you were figuring out when to leave to go pick them up. Not nearly as relaxing as I had hoped.

Are you saying that Celebrity kids club is open all day? I did not know that. I thought they all closed between 12-2 and 5-7 except Disney. This is good information to know!

On Celebrity, there is a fee from 12-2 on port days and 5-7 there is a fee port and sea days. 12-2 on port days is "kids lunch" $12 per child and from 5-7 pm this is "kid's dinner" and there is a $12 per child fee.

On sea days- the Fun Factory doesn't close from 12-2 but they ask you to come get your child at some point between 12 and 2 to feed them lunch. The staff does not provide food in the Fun Factory.

An update...the Breakaway is back in the picture as a result of the new promo where kids sail free + free UDP...so it's gone from the most expensive option to the least expensive option. It's one step forward, 2 steps back in terms of this decision!!

For the Breakaway, I'd go with a mini-suite - it would seem to be the smallest balcony stateroom that would be comfortable for 4...

At this point - the Dawn is in 3rd place, the Summit seems much more favourably reviewed and the bev package seems like a more useful perk than the NCL suite perks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

So, figured it'd only be fair to close the loop on this topic by letting everybody know what I decided and why!

We decided to stick with the Summit. The main reason is that with the Family Veranda room, we can get the best of both worlds in terms of having our own space but being close to the kids: I wouldn't want the kids in a connecting stateroom due to their age (they'd probably be fine, I wouldn't though), and didn't have the budget to pay for a suite with separate rooms within the one suite. The FV room on the Summit is far and away the best value option to have separate rooms.

Also, the ability to put the kids to bed, order an MDR meal from room service and enjoy it on our large veranda would seem to be a better option than running back and forth to the buffet when the kids are in bed.

So while the Breakaway would have the benefit of those awesome-looking water slides…I figure we can take the kids to a water park this summer to have even better water slides, so when you take them out of the equation, the Summit just makes more sense for us.

So…now it's time to start planning the trip and planning for our days in Bermuda! Early seating vs. select dining, beaches vs. tours, etc…but that's a different topic for a different day (and an easy one in a way, since I know Bermuda so well).

So, figured it'd only be fair to close the loop on this topic by letting everybody know what I decided and why!

We decided to stick with the Summit. The main reason is that with the Family Veranda room, we can get the best of both worlds in terms of having our own space but being close to the kids: I wouldn't want the kids in a connecting stateroom due to their age (they'd probably be fine, I wouldn't though), and didn't have the budget to pay for a suite with separate rooms within the one suite. The FV room on the Summit is far and away the best value option to have separate rooms.

Also, the ability to put the kids to bed, order an MDR meal from room service and enjoy it on our large veranda would seem to be a better option than running back and forth to the buffet when the kids are in bed.

So while the Breakaway would have the benefit of those awesome-looking water slides…I figure we can take the kids to a water park this summer to have even better water slides, so when you take them out of the equation, the Summit just makes more sense for us.

So…now it's time to start planning the trip and planning for our days in Bermuda! Early seating vs. select dining, beaches vs. tours, etc…but that's a different topic for a different day (and an easy one in a way, since I know Bermuda so well).

Congrats. Just remember to come back and post a review :).