Carambola Tide Pools...taxi or car rental?

Vimkisser

Hi,

Husband and I have one day in port (8 am to 4 pm) in February. We'd like to see the tide pools. Is there enough time? And should we rent a car or hire a taxi? If we were to rent a car, would this allow us enough time to visit the Domino Club, maybe a rum tour, or a beach?

Thanks for any help/info/advice.

Hi,

Husband and I have one day in port (8 am to 4 pm) in February. We'd like to see the tide pools. Is there enough time? And should we rent a car or hire a taxi? If we were to rent a car, would this allow us enough time to visit the Domino Club, maybe a rum tour, or a beach?

Thanks for any help/info/advice.

That's an awful short day to try that trip but if you insist you can try Tan Tan Tours. They run to the tide pools in their jeeps and that's the only way you'll get there fast enough and back. You'll have to get a taxi to christiansted to meet up with them I believe but you can double check with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to get another opinion...

You could probably make this work if you rent a car, drive to Carambola Beach resort and hike over to the Tidal Pools from there. It's about an hour hike each way and you will want an hour to get yourselves actually into the tidal pools, enjoy it and get out. It is quite a treacherous climb to get into the pools from the beach....not for the faint of heart or those without some balance and athletic ability.

It will take you 30 minutes to and from Carambola from the pier. And a stop at Norma's/the Domino Club is on the way and can be accomplished in 30 minutes.

So does that all add up?

8:00 a.m. Off the boat

9:00 a.m. Rental car paperwork complete and drive to Carambola

9:30 a.m. Start the hike

10:30 a.m. Enjoy the tidal pools

11:30 a.m. Hike back

12:30 p.m. Arrive at Carambola

1:00 p.m. Arrive at Domino Club

2:00 p.m. Back at the pier.

Thanks lovestx for the advice. We think we are more adventurous than we actually are lol. Might take us a bit longer now than a few years ago. We'll have to wait to when we come back to the island for a longer stay.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't give up on the idea of the tidal pools. There are some logistic issues but it's very doable. What date are you on St. Croix?. There are several tour options that could include a trip to the tidal pools with a stop at the Domino Club on about 5 hours leaving some time in Frederiksted to shop and explore. Other options could include a shorter hike to the light house, Monks baths, etc. If you are interested in more info, send me a PM and I'd be happy to offer more specific details about options, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums