Tailor in Hong Kong

Spanieleyes

Since no one has responded, I'll relate my experience. We were on a Holland America Cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong several years ago. A representative from a HKG tailor boarded the ship at the port prior to HKG to take orders. I stopped by to get an idea of the prices and inquired about getting a sports coat made. He stated that with good material about 500, I then ask is that Hong Kong Dollars or US$, and he said US$. That is way to expensive. Tailors in Beijing and Shanghai charge must less for quality material and workmanship. Prices are also good in Viet Nam and Thailand, but the workmanship might not be as good.

If you don't get any responses, you might try asking the crew on the ship, I know some buy custom made suits, but not sure what port they get them made.

Sorry, I just realized you will be in Hong Kong before the cruise. You might ask the hotel staff for a recommendation. The other option is to post your question on Trip Advisors.

Thank you for your posts, I'll give Trip Advisor a try :)

I mentioned in this forum the name of my tailor a while ago and it was promptly deleted. Give me your email address and I shall respond directly.

But USD500 for a suit is about the right price here. Generally, visitors come to praise the quality here, not that price is particularly, and the quick turnaround time (1 day). I always ask for 2 fittings.

HK was once a bargain shopper's paradise, not anymore (land being expensive, rent are skyhigh even "upstairs" hidden away and good tailors aren't easy to find ... except for those doing businesses with tourists & visitors) - on a 10 days visit a while ago, I had 2 custom tailored suits, 2 extra pair of pants done - with 2 fittings after the initial measurement was done & selecting the fabric ... which are reflected in the overall prices.

Keep in mind you are paying for the tailor's time & work (Shanghaiese are considered among some of the best in skills & attention to details ... I wouldn't have found him without the help of a local family friend that's been a repeat customer for years) - whether it's bargain/average material or high quality or premium choice of wool. It's never a good thing to rush as your limited time in HK would then be like working around his fitting schedule ... sure, it can be done with just 1 fitting & ready for pickup in 3 or 4 days ... odds are that you wouldn't notice the slightly off shoulder or back collar until you get back home. Or, that there's no time to trim or redone half the jacket so you are rushing back to the ship with the "minor" imperfection ... or, going to pay another tailor afterward to "fix" it - if the details are important & it's possible. In-between the fitting, we went to mainland China for 3 days and the tailor was not asked to rush & hurry, got it done right so the 3rd fitting was not necessary; so a 4 to 7 days turnaround in total would've worked - and, have your spouse, partner and/or a friend come along to help you check the workmanship for that "perfect" fitting.

Oh, yes - be sure to bring a shirt & tie along, put it on as part of the checks for proper wear as you wanted it to look. Keep in mind that some tailors will do that slim & trim cutting style, and not if you normally carry a big wallet and a 6" plus smartphone in your pocket. (in other words, don't wear your casual weekend wear - you wanted to align the collars, etc.)

I mentioned in this forum the name of my tailor a while ago and it was promptly deleted. Give me your email address and I shall respond directly.

But USD500 for a suit is about the right price here. Generally, visitors come to praise the quality here, not that price is particularly, and the quick turnaround time (1 day). I always ask for 2 fittings.

Thanks. My email is jules13@me.com

Had a dress made many years ago even with a few fittings it was never right. My husband did shirts a few times as we were always there for several days on business. If you look carefully the finishing is not very good and we have used more than one tailor. The hems on the shirts are just rolled and stiching is poor sometimes for the price.

While I was working--I am retired now--for more than 20 years, I had my suits made by A-Man Hing Chong in The Mandarin Hotel Arcade. Outstanding quality and high prices. Many years ago Conde Nast Traveler magazine surved business men in Hong Kong and they voted them the best tailor in Hong Kong. All work done on site--not sent to nearby China.

My husband likes Sam's Tailor. It's off Nathan road (main shopping street) just south of Granville Road. Sam's keeps your measurements so you can order shirts and suits once you are back home and they will ship them to you. My husband has done this a few times and always quality material and workmanship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My husband likes Sam's Tailor. It's off Nathan road (main shopping street) just south of Granville Road. Sam's keeps your measurements so you can order shirts and suits once you are back home and they will ship them to you. My husband has done this a few times and always quality material and workmanship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I tried Sam's 1 time--and never again. The shirts were fine. I gave hime a suit to copy and the results after 3 fitings were frankly "awful". He is well know --but I would never use him again. I donated the 2 suits to Goodwill.

Hopefully others have had better luck.