Shuttle LAX-San Pedro

truegrit

What is the best shuttle service from Lax-San Pedro cruise terminal? I have heard that Prime Time & Super Shuttle are around $16.00 pp plus tip each way and could be 2 hrs. either to the ship or from ship back to Lax. I checked out Airport Express which is about the same price but they claim they are non-stop from Lax-San Pedro or vice versa. What are the pros and cons of these three services? Truegrit

We have used Super Shuttle a couple of times now and had good success, there is a discount code thread on this board if you want to do a search for it. Prime Shuttle got some very poor reviews about 18 mos ago and I understand had some problems with some regularlatory authorities a while back, however I believe that these have now been cleared up. Airport Express I don't know.

Yes - you can book Princess Transfers from the airport to the cruise port, even though you haven't booked your flight through them.

We did this on our very first cruise, as we wanted to be sure we got on the ship :-)

Just re-read your message - I'm not sure if they shuttle you to any hotel, but would provide shuttle service to their designated hotels that they use. These are usually listed in their brochures.

Edited by redtop101

What is the best shuttle service from Lax-San Pedro cruise terminal? I have heard that Prime Time & Super Shuttle are around $16.00 pp plus tip each way and could be 2 hrs. either to the ship or from ship back to Lax. I checked out Airport Express which is about the same price but they claim they are non-stop from Lax-San Pedro or vice versa. What are the pros and cons of these three services? Truegrit

If by Airport Express you mean Execucar Business Express (a division of Super Shuttle and bookable on the Super Shuttle website) then I highly recommend them. Used them last week roundtrip from LAX to the San Pedro Crowne Plaza. The fare came to $16 pp each for 3 of us each way plus tip (must be booked and paid in advance).

Upon landing at LAX, I turned on my cellphone while taxiing in and a minute later the phone rang. It was the driver asking if we had arrived yet and to call him on his cell phone when we claim our luggage. We did so and he picked us up curbside within minutes. No waiting around for others like the other shuttles and we arrived at the hotel within 25 minutes (little traffic on a Saturday). On the return trip, the driver was there (shuttle departure spot) 10 minutes before our designated pick up time. Again, just us and nonstop to LAX in 20 minutes (again little traffic on a Sat. morning). We watched while other folks lined up and were crammed into Super Shuttle and Primetime vans. Execucar uses mini-vans and was very comfortable with air-conditioning controls overhead.

Don't understand how this service was at a price less than the other shuttles ($17) but it was fantastic!

I was wondering how to get from the airport to my hotel. Does anyone know how expensive would a taxi be? Does the cruiseline offer any type of shuttle if you're airfare is not booked through them?

Larry

What hotel? Where? LAX? Long Beach Airport?

If you are trying to get from LAX to a downtown hotel in Long Beach (not San Pedro) you are probably looking at about $60 one way for a cab and $17-18/person for a shared shuttle. You will pay more for a cruise line bus shuttle if there is more than one person in your party than you will with a cab, and you will have to wait for the bus to fill up before you leave the airport.

If you are trying to get from Long Beach airport to to a downtown Long Beach hotel, then the cab will probably run you around $30-35 each way, and a shared shuttle again about $16/per person.

If you are trying to get from LAX to a downtown hotel in Long Beach (not San Pedro) you are probably looking at about $60 one way for a cab and $17-18/person for a shared shuttle. You will pay more for a cruise line bus shuttle if there is more than one person in your party than you will with a cab, and you will have to wait for the bus to fill up before you leave the airport.

If you are trying to get from Long Beach airport to to a downtown Long Beach hotel, then the cab will probably run you around $30-35 each way, and a shared shuttle again about $16/per person.

Splinter,

Everything is preliminary. I've never been to California. I just started looking at the Metrorail system from LAX to Long Beach and possibly taking a taxi from a hotel near the Transit Mall to the NCL cruise port. Is this a safe alternative to a private service? Do you have any suggestions? Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry

Edited by larry_s_taco
poor grammer

Splinter,

Everything is preliminary. I've never been to California. I just started looking at the Metrorail system from LAX to Long Beach and possibly taking a taxi from a hotel near the Transit Mall to the NCL cruise port. Is this a safe alternative to a private service? Do you have any suggestions? Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry

While I applaud your interest in using public transportation, the proposed method you set out to get to the cruise terminal where you will board the NCL ship is very convoluted and really not feasible. Being a lifelong resident here in SoCal, first, the Metrorail train does not directly service from LAX (involves transferring from bus to train). Second, you will want to go to the Port of Los Angeles World Cruise Terminal located in San Pedro, CA to board the Norwegian Star, not Long Beach. Third, you will still have to take a bus or taxi service to get from Long Beach to San Pedro. Fourth, even if you could put all parts together seemlessly it will take hours to accomplish.

Use a shuttle or taxi service directly from LAX to the port in San Pedro.

I agree. Take a shared shuttle from LAX to San Pedro for $17-18/person, will take you at most 2 hours (less if you have no other stops between the airport and the port). If you try to take public transportation you will go way out of your way, through some fairly dicey areas of LA, and it will probably take you 3-4 hours using Metrorail. You could actually take a city bus too, but public transportation in SoCal sucks. Don't get your vacation off to a bad start just to save a couple of dollars.

I agree. Take a shared shuttle from LAX to San Pedro for $17-18/person, will take you at most 2 hours (less if you have no other stops between the airport and the port). If you try to take public transportation you will go way out of your way, through some fairly dicey areas of LA, and it will probably take you 3-4 hours using Metrorail. You could actually take a city bus too, but public transportation in SoCal sucks. Don't get your vacation off to a bad start just to save a couple of dollars.

Still think Super Shuttle's Execucar Business Express is the best way to go......private minivan and nonstop. To elaborate on the cost, it is $48 total for the minivan whether you have 1 person or up to 5 people. On a Friday afternoon around 1:30 pm, we were in San Pedro in 25 minutes.

I've spoken with NCL and they can get me transfers from the hotel to the ship and from the ship to the airport for $25.00 each. I'm considering that now. The information on the local transport to the port was from Trip Advisor. I'm a big advocate of public transportation and have used it on practicality every cruise, either from the home ports or on the islands. I'm surprised this area in California doesn't have a workable equivalent. I want a safe, easy and pleasant trip. If anyone else has any suggestions I'm open.

Thanks,

Larry

We used http://www.zippyshuttle.net to take 4 of us from LAX to the Queen Mary hotel at Long Beach and to pick us up after our cruise to take us from San Pedro back to LAX. The cost for a large taxi/ mini bus was $140 round trip including gratuity,or $75 one way.

Edited by supergran
put com not net

• 7 years later...
I saw an earlier post regarding super shuttle's execucar. Is that still the best way to get to San Pedro from LAX? We are flying in morning of cruise. Cruise line recommends transfers but I don't really want to wait on the bus. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Execucar cost more for a town car than ontime1.com.:)

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.cruzely.com/los-angeles-long-beach-cruise-port-without-a-car/

Was going to ask why no one was mentioning Uber or Lyft... and then I saw this thread is from 2009! Amazing how fast times have changed.

Your link only gives information for ports at Los Angeles and at Long Beach, no info for port at San Pedro despite the fact that the thread is requesting info for Shuttle LAX - San Pedro.

Edited by NMLady

• 2 weeks later...
Your link only gives information for ports at Los Angeles and at Long Beach, no info for port at San Pedro despite the fact that the thread is requesting info for Shuttle LAX - San Pedro.

NMLady, the LA Port is the San Pedro port. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums