Self Drive Tour - Drake, need your help!

cessnabmw

Hi Drake,

Need some help from you please. We will be in St. Croix on Dec 15th and have a booked a car rental with Budget.

We would like to do some sightseeing and you had had mentioned in another thread to stay away from a few areas. Which areas are these?

Sandy Point

Christiansted

Point Udall

Cruzan Rum (maybe- do they charge for kids?)

Rainbow Beach

What driving route and what order of the above should be take? Where else would you recommend us visit?

I would like to map these out on Google maps in order or sequence and print out some maps and all for the day.

Would really appreciate your help!

Thanks!

hello fellow cruiser,

I don't know the answer to you question sorry. But i have one of my own for you. How much approximately was the rental car for the day? And how far from the port is the rental car company? We are trying to find something to do for myself and husband and there doesn't seem to be many tours just to tour the island without seeing one of the rum factories.

(We have tour more than one and don't need or want to see another)

hello fellow cruiser,

I don't know the answer to you question sorry. But i have one of my own for you. How much approximately was the rental car for the day? And how far from the port is the rental car company? We are trying to find something to do for myself and husband and there doesn't seem to be many tours just to tour the island without seeing one of the rum factories.

(We have tour more than one and don't need or want to see another)

Glad to help.

I booked with https://budgetstcroix.com/

They have an office at the cruise port. I have it booked for approx $43.

Hi Drake,

Need some help from you please. We will be in St. Croix on Dec 15th and have a booked a car rental with Budget.

We would like to do some sightseeing and you had had mentioned in another thread to stay away from a few areas. Which areas are these?

Sandy Point

Christiansted

Point Udall

Cruzan Rum (maybe- do they charge for kids?)

Rainbow Beach

Thanks!

I'm not Drake, but I can tell you that Sandy Point is only open on weekends, and Dec 15th is a Tuesday.

I'm not Drake, but I can tell you that Sandy Point is only open on weekends, and Dec 15th is a Tuesday.

Thanks!! Really appreciate the info.

Can you still access the beach at Sandy Point or is just the conservation area closed?

Should we just skip this stop or?

I tried to map it myself but it's hard to do on my phone :)

I'll try again later on my laptop.

To start with you need to strike Sandy Point from your list as it is closed during the week and you come in on a Tuesday.

Christiansted is great for shopping and dining when you have a rental car.

Point Udall has been a common request lately, just remember it's over an hour drive just to get there from the pier and an hour + to get back. Important to keep that in mind when your ship leaves at 4pm.

Cruzan Rum is always a great choice to spend some time. I don't know that they have a minimum age for the tour but I would never recommend you take children along. It is an industrial setting with metal stairs and sharp edges. Someone could always stay in the visitor center with the kids while the rest of you do the tour.

Rainbow Beach is always too crowded for me on ship days but if that's where you want to be it is a wonderful place with great amenities.

How I would do it is this:

Pick up the car by the pier and head for Point Udall, spend a few minutes at the monument and enjoy the view. Head back west into Christiansted for shopping and sightseeing. You may enjoy the Purple Papaya for souvenirs and Angry Nates for food. Head west on the highway until you turn into Cruzan to enjoy the tour. After that head west on Centerline road and enjoy the scenery. (Alternately you can take Centerline all the way from Christiansted if you want the more scenic route). Centerline will run you back into Frederiksted where you may want to do some more sightseeing and eating before you head to the beach. North of town you'll find Rhythms at Rainbow Beach where you should end your day with a lovely cocktail on the beach.

I have plenty of other recommendations but I think that is an incredibly active itinerary for one day here so I won't add any other stops.

None of the places on your proposed route include dangerous places so I would not worry. The only caution I have for you is not to leave your car unattended with valuables in it (another reason to go there first) at Point Udall.

I'll try to work on that map later, hope this helps!

I tried to map it myself but it's hard to do on my phone :)

I'll try again later on my laptop.

To start with you need to strike Sandy Point from your list as it is closed during the week and you come in on a Tuesday.

Christiansted is great for shopping and dining when you have a rental car.

Point Udall has been a common request lately, just remember it's over an hour drive just to get there from the pier and an hour + to get back. Important to keep that in mind when your ship leaves at 4pm.

Cruzan Rum is always a great choice to spend some time. I don't know that they have a minimum age for the tour but I would never recommend you take children along. It is an industrial setting with metal stairs and sharp edges. Someone could always stay in the visitor center with the kids while the rest of you do the tour.

Rainbow Beach is always too crowded for me on ship days but if that's where you want to be it is a wonderful place with great amenities.

How I would do it is this:

Pick up the car by the pier and head for Point Udall, spend a few minutes at the monument and enjoy the view. Head back west into Christiansted for shopping and sightseeing. You may enjoy the Purple Papaya for souvenirs and Angry Nates for food. Head west on the highway until you turn into Cruzan to enjoy the tour. After that head west on Centerline road and enjoy the scenery. (Alternately you can take Centerline all the way from Christiansted if you want the more scenic route). Centerline will run you back into Frederiksted where you may want to do some more sightseeing and eating before you head to the beach. North of town you'll find Rhythms at Rainbow Beach where you should end your day with a lovely cocktail on the beach.

I have plenty of other recommendations but I think that is an incredibly active itinerary for one day here so I won't add any other stops.

None of the places on your proposed route include dangerous places so I would not worry. The only caution I have for you is not to leave your car unattended with valuables in it (another reason to go there first) at Point Udall.

I'll try to work on that map later, hope this helps!

Thank you so much for your help!

I think we will skip Cruzan as we don't want to take the kids there.

As for beaches, what other beaches aside from Rainbow would you suggest since we will have a car?

Also, would it make sense to drive around the island rather than only on the main centerline road?

Edited by cessnabmw

Thank you so much for your help!

I think we will skip Cruzan as we don't want to take the kids there.

As for beaches, what other beaches aside from Rainbow would you suggest since we will have a car?

Also, would it make sense to drive around the island rather than only on the main centerline road?

If you are skipping Cruzan that gives you more time to cruise around so yeah I can help with that. Up by Rainbow Beach you will see a road sign for Mahogany Road, I suggest you take a little drive up into the rainforest on Mahogany and check out all the indigenous flora and fauna. Watch the trees and you will see iguanas and tropical birds hanging out.

If you want to see one of the hidden beach gems of the Caribbean you can continue past Rainbow Beach on Hams Bluff Road (the main west-end road) headed north until you hit Butler Bay. Home to some of the coolest shipwrecks in the world for divers and great snorkeling and beach for everyone else. I think you will enjoy it.

Drake... Is it possible to get a taxi to/from Butler Bay? We really like to snorkel and are experienced. Would love it if you could give me brief list of good places. Looks like there are sooo many, have never been to St. Croix, and it is a little overwhelming trying to choose, so your help would be appreciated. We will only be there until 4pm, this whole cruise idea is for us to visit other islands (other than our usuals) to plan future long vacations. St Croix has always been on our "list" just havent made it yet. We are not big shoppers,may be silly to some but we really enjoy snorkeling. Thanks in advance!

cro

Drake... Is it possible to get a taxi to/from Butler Bay? We really like to snorkel and are experienced. Would love it if you could give me brief list of good places. Looks like there are sooo many, have never been to St. Croix, and it is a little overwhelming trying to choose, so your help would be appreciated. We will only be there until 4pm, this whole cruise idea is for us to visit other islands (other than our usuals) to plan future long vacations. St Croix has always been on our "list" just havent made it yet. We are not big shoppers,may be silly to some but we really enjoy snorkeling. Thanks in advance!

cro

Butler Bay is beautiful and you can certainly get a taxi to get there. I would point out though that there are no amenities up there so plan ahead for food and drinks.

Personally I would go to Sandcastle or Teres Veho so you can enjoy beautiful snorkeling and still crawl up on the beach for drinks and good food and still be close to the ship on such a short day in port.

I can give you more ideas if you like.

I hope you enjoy your day!

• 2 weeks later...
If you are skipping Cruzan that gives you more time to cruise around so yeah I can help with that. Up by Rainbow Beach you will see a road sign for Mahogany Road, I suggest you take a little drive up into the rainforest on Mahogany and check out all the indigenous flora and fauna. Watch the trees and you will see iguanas and tropical birds hanging out.

If you want to see one of the hidden beach gems of the Caribbean you can continue past Rainbow Beach on Hams Bluff Road (the main west-end road) headed north until you hit Butler Bay. Home to some of the coolest shipwrecks in the world for divers and great snorkeling and beach for everyone else. I think you will enjoy it.

Hi Drake!

We are finalizing our plans and need help.

Please can you map out a route for us to drive?

Also - where would it be best to buy local rum from? At a good price...

Hi Drake!

We are finalizing our plans and need help.

Please can you map out a route for us to drive?

Also - where would it be best to buy local rum from? At a good price...

I kept trying to do it in google maps but couldn't make it look right so I grabbed a copy of the St. Croix Explorer (available at the rental car office) and hand drew your route. Feel free to skip portions of it as I feel this is a lot to do in the time you have, but I hope this helps steer you in the right direction.

In case the bottom gets cut off here's the legend:

1st Leg is Red, Rental car pickup to Point Udall

2nd is Brown, Point Udall to Christiansted via Southside Road (Scenic Route)

3rd is Blue, Christiansted to Cruzan Rum (Buy your Rum here) via Northside Road (Scenic Route)

4th is Green, Cruzan to the Domino Club (Beer drinking pigs in the tropical rainforest, order a Mama Wanna while you are there)

5th is Black, Rainforest to Rainbow Beach

6th is in Dark Blue, straight shot from Rainbow back to the rental place to drop off the car.

St. Croix Driving-Tour.pdf

I kept trying to do it in google maps but couldn't make it look right so I grabbed a copy of the St. Croix Explorer (available at the rental car office) and hand drew your route. Feel free to skip portions of it as I feel this is a lot to do in the time you have, but I hope this helps steer you in the right direction.

In case the bottom gets cut off here's the legend:

1st Leg is Red, Rental car pickup to Point Udall

2nd is Brown, Point Udall to Christiansted via Southside Road (Scenic Route)

3rd is Blue, Christiansted to Cruzan Rum (Buy your Rum here) via Northside Road (Scenic Route)

4th is Green, Cruzan to the Domino Club (Beer drinking pigs in the tropical rainforest, order a Mama Wanna while you are there)

5th is Black, Rainforest to Rainbow Beach

6th is in Dark Blue, straight shot from Rainbow back to the rental place to drop off the car.

You ARE Awesome!

Thank you so much. Will look it over.

Thanks again Drake!!!

I mapped it out. Really excited to go.

St%20Croix.JPG

I'm glad you got it to work! Keep in mind that the time estimate on the side there is completely wrong, you're going to spend a lot more time driving. I hope you enjoy your visit!

• 1 month later...
Drake about how long of a drive is it from tip to tip? We're first time to St Croix and have a jeep rented and looking to possibly follow your map provided. Any other can't miss?

Pier to Point Udall is about 90 minutes of driving. I still believe that the map was far too much to do in one day, I would recommend you pick and choose whichever pieces of it look the best to you.

Edited by drake2014

Pier to Point Udall is about 90 minutes of driving. I still believe that the map was far too much to do in one day, I would recommend you pick and choose whichever pieces of it look the best to you.

Is there a good place to hike? Also what about somewhere to cliff jump into the idea? (A bucket list type thing)

Is there a good place to hike? Also what about somewhere to cliff jump into the idea? (A bucket list type thing)

Sure, lots of people hike to the tide pools. I think I've posted about that before but I'll look again. It's kind of a rough hike but people seem to like it. You could also hike down from point udall to jacks beach, that's a pretty good trek.

No safe spots for cliff jumping here, please don't try.

Sure, lots of people hike to the tide pools. I think I've posted about that before but I'll look again. It's kind of a rough hike but people seem to like it. You could also hike down from point udall to jacks beach, that's a pretty good trek.

No safe spots for cliff jumping here, please don't try.

Thank you! You're awesome! :)

Hi Drake,

Perused your routing on the car rental map. There are so many eating establishments listed. We don't want to end up eating average food when we can have something great! Would appreciate your insights for food, as we plan to pretty much follow your routing. We're in port 8-5 and have arranged for the car pick-up as soon as we can disembark. Many thanks

Hi Drake,

Perused your routing on the car rental map. There are so many eating establishments listed. We don't want to end up eating average food when we can have something great! Would appreciate your insights for food, as we plan to pretty much follow your routing. We're in port 8-5 and have arranged for the car pick-up as soon as we can disembark. Many thanks

My favorite lunch place is Pier 69, no contest. I eat there a few times a week. But if you're out in Christiansted (or near it) swing down to the board walk and hit Angry Nates. Those are the best two lunch places on the island!