Greetings from Marina

ORV

As was posted on the other thread there is a bit of a problem on Marina.

I don't want to spread misinformation or cause alarm so I'll stick to the facts.

We got on in Valparaiso, from day one they put a small bottle of sanitizer in the room along with a letter explaining best hand washing methods. At all ports we have had to exit and enter the ship by stepping on a large foam pad with some type of sanitizer on it. It was my understanding that this is because of all the stray dogs running around in the SA ports. We also have had workers spraying our hands from a spray bottle, not the gel as we've returned on board.

About 3 to 5 days into the cruise we started noticing the door handles to all the staterooms being wiped down 2 to 3 times a day.

There has been a normal level of announcements in Currents and on the Tv until about two days ago. This is when the holders for the menus disappeared and we only get the inserts, which are thrown away after each use. There has also been a increase in the sanitation on the rails, elevator buttons, table tops etc, but nothing near the level of what we experienced last winter on Riviera. Like the dripping walls and soaked chairs.

Last night Peter, the CD, made an announcement that there is an above normal amount of guests with gastro illness, he reiterated about hand washing methods and mentioned that any one with gastro symptoms would receive a complimentary medical evaluation. There was also an announcement in Currents to the same effect.

A couple of days ago the salt and pepper shakers disappeared also. The pool and hot tubs are still open, as is the laundry, which is where I'm sitting right now, because who knows how much longer it will be open. I don't know the status of the library.

No one is saying the n word, and hopefully they won't. Unfortunately I've been to this rodeo before and will hope for the best, but will continue to practice diligence.

Going through the Panama Canal today. Two locks down, one to go.

Edited by ORV

I don't want to spread misinformation or cause alarm so I'll stick to the facts.

We got on in Valparaiso, from day one they put a small bottle of sanitizer in the room along with a letter explaining best hand washing methods. At all ports we have had to exit and enter the ship by stepping on a large foam pad with some type of sanitizer on it. It was my understanding that this is because of all the stray dogs running around in the SA ports. We also have had workers spraying our hands from a spray bottle, not the gel as we've returned on board.

tough..

About 3 to 5 days into the cruise we started noticing the door handles to all the staterooms being wiped down 2 to 3 times a day.

There has been a normal level of announcements in Currents and on the Tv until about two days ago. This is when the holders for the menus disappeared and we only get the inserts, which are thrown away after each use. There has also been a increase in the sanitation on the rails, elevator buttons, table tops etc, but nothing near the level of what we experienced last winter on Riviera. Like the dripping walls and soaked chairs.

Last night Peter, the CD, made an announcement that there is an above normal amount of guests with gastro illness, he reiterated about hand washing methods and mentioned that any one with gastro symptoms would receive a complimentary medical evaluation. There was also an announcement in Currents to the same effect.

A couple of days ago the salt and pepper shakers disappeared also. The pool and hot tubs are still open, as is the laundry, which is where I'm sitting right now, because who knows how much longer it will be open. I don't know the status of the library.

No one is saying the n word, and hopefully they won't. Unfortunately I've been to this rodeo before and will hope for the best, but will continue to practice diligence.

Going through the Panama Canal today. Two locks down, one to go.

Sure hope it is not he N word. Would make the rest of the trip quite tough. Lets not jump the gun too fast. By the way, the canal was one of my favorate cruises. Enjoy.

Stay healthy keep washing your hands ;)

Since they were using the mats at the entry to the ship it could be something in the ports they are trying not to bring aboard

It maybe a food/water issue as seems to be the case with many ships that stop in Peru the past few years

Good to hear they a stepping up in the sanitation

now just hope your fellow shipmates follow the hand washing protocol

Enjoy the cruise

ORV,

Sorry to hear about the GI issues on your cruise. Hopefully it is a form of food poisoning that some picked up in ports (Peru?) before boarding and not Noro.

I remember getting very ill in Lima 20 years ago on a land trip - probably from ceviche (or ice cream).

Stay healthy and I hope that you can fully enjoy the cruise.

ORV,

Sorry to hear about the GI issues on your cruise. Hopefully it is a form of food poisoning that some picked up in ports (Peru?) before boarding and not Noro.

I remember getting very ill in Lima 20 years ago on a land trip - probably from ceviche (or ice cream).

Stay healthy and I hope that you can fully enjoy the cruise.

Seems to me it has to be something that was picked up along the way as everyone boarded about 10 days ago and for the first week there were little or no problems. Hope they get it cleaned up soon.

Sounds like Noro to me which is disappointing since we are on her in a month. We went through this last year on Riviera and really don't want to do it again. It takes a heck of a lot away from t whole experience. Hopefully they can ease up in 3 days or so and you'll have smooth sailing ahead!

I am sure they will be testing those that report to the medical centre if they have noro

There are other things that have the same same symptoms

At least they are taking precautions early

I am sure they will be testing those that report to the medical centre if they have noro

There are other things that have the same same symptoms

At least they are taking precautions early

Sounds very much like Riviera last Feb. Hope not.

this morning I read on the HAL board that the virus seems to be rearing its head on Amsterdam as she is doing her WC and just went through the canal & is in Puerta Vallarta. Bill & Maryann sail regularly w/ HAL on longer cruises.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=52017282&postcount=105

Edited by Rotterdam

I remember getting very ill in Lima 20 years ago on a land trip - probably from ceviche (or ice cream)

The thought of ceviche ice cream is giving me GI-like symptons.

I can't decide between the Salmon Sushi Sorbet or a Flounder Float.

Sincerely though I do hope ORV that you stay well and post back and let us know how it's progressing and you are making out.

Hopefully your fellow pax do their part in helping the crew to curb the spread as quickly as possible.

To those who have posted that they are boarding soon and have already experienced this previously I can only offer you my sympathies. Knowing first hand what this is about and then anticipating it as you're heading off for your vacation must be difficult. If it is as bad as it sounds this might be the time to see if your travel insurance covers cancellation for any reason.

Edited by YoHoHo

Where is the other thread where this is mentioned? I have not checked the forum for a few days, so this is new to me. :(

We board on Feb 1st. Sure hope this virus doesn't get our cruise again! And we were just thinking of upgrading out stateroom. :rolleyes:

Sorry that you are going through the "sanitation routine" again.

Edited by Iamthesea

The thought of ceviche ice cream is giving me GI-like symptons.

I can't decide between the Salmon Sushi Sorbet or a Flounder Float.

:D:D:D

Very funny.

Haven't been able to force myself to have ceviche since then - not true for ice cream though ;)

This just received from Oceania as forwarded by our T.A.

Important Embarkation Update

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Professionals,

The US Coast Guard conducts random standard full ship inspections on all cruise ships calling on U.S. ports. Oceania Cruises has just been notified that the US Coast Guard will be conducting an inspection on Marina during the Miami call on January 22, 2017 as soon as all departing guests are disembarked. Regrettably, the US Coast Guard does not allow any guests to embark Marina, nor will they permit our housekeeping staff to begin preparing staterooms, until all aspects of the inspection are completed.

We anticipate that embarkation will not commence until approximately 2 pm. We apologize ahead of time for any inconveniences this Coast Guard inspection may impose, and strongly encourage all cruise-only and local guests to delay their arrival at the terminal until 2 pm.

Upon embarkation, you are invited to enjoy a late lunch in the Terrace Café on Deck 12 Aft. Additionally, our dining staff will be on hand in the Grand Lobby to take dinner reservations for our four specialty restaurants: Polo Grill, Toscana, Red Ginger, and Jacques. The Destination Services desk will also be open as soon as embarkation begins to take shore excursion reservations and answer any questions you may have.

We thank you for your understanding and we look forward to welcoming you aboard.

Sincerely,

Carlos Ortega

Vice President, Passenger Services

Oceania Cruises

Boarding on the 22nd as well. Hoping it will all be back to normal by then. The passengers will get off, it is the crew that I am most concerned about as that is the easiest way to get from one sailing to another. If the crew is healthy, I'm much less concerned about it affecting our voyage. Either way, lack of a salt shaker on the table or menu cover is not going to take away from our experience. If you want to get upset with someone, get upset with your fellow passengers, who to this day, never seem to bother with hand washing after using the facilities.

With the Coast Guard inspection that should allow for some extra time as well. Considering the itinerary they currently are on and the adventuresome food spirit of many, this could be a problem with an outbreak of some intake of local cuisine as well.

These days, I'm sure the typical reaction on a ship is now an overreaction.

I'd rather be delayed a few hours and everyone be as well as possible.

Hopefully will be doing a LIVE report each day so will keep everyone abreast of the situation as I see it. Only 3rd trip on Oceania. Will be returning to Marina for first time since maiden voyage a few years ago.

This is worrying but perhaps it is what they say and completely random. We are trying to find out more as we are boarding in a few weeks. Would the coast guard have the equipment to check for Noro? It doesn't seem really likely, however I have noticed Marina has had a GI problem on and off for weeks. It seems like they never got rid of it. With regard to the disinfected entrance mats, they are perfectly normal when the ships are in 3rd world type destinations. We have had those in use on a lot of Oceania cruises, also the supply of hand sanitizer spray in our rooms. I hope that the hygiene routine on the ship has been stepped up as an extra precaution. I think if the virus is higher than a certain percentage, the ports won't let the ship dock so lets hope they are keeping it under control. I really dread catching that Noro virus.

Earlier this year on Insignia the virus was bad and the housekeepers were changing all beds everyday along with a lot of other precautions. Has the situation become that serious yet? Take a look around the medical center and see how many are waiting to be seen. On one cruise they even had sick passengers in the corridor!

I hope for better news. Please keep posting.

Jennifer