Beggars/Violance in Ports

Clepire

Hi all! We're going on our first cruise in 2 weeks and I was curious as to if anyone knows how bad the violence/beggars are in the Caribbean. We are going to St. Kitts, St. Marteen, Dominica, Antigua, and Tortola.

Do not recall any problems in those ports, but have not done Dominica. Sounds like a great cruise

Listen...all but Grand Cayman are fairly POOR islands. There may be "beggars"...or folks wanting to sell you something. Just say, "No, thanks", and proceed. They aren't violent...they are just poor.

If you wander off the "beaten path", it's possible to go into local areas that have violence...sort of like Chicago! Just stay where the tourists go, and you'll be just fine! A guidebook will really help you with things you should see...and places you shouldn't go.

Hi all! We're going on our first cruise in 2 weeks and I was curious as to if anyone knows how bad the violence/beggars are in the Caribbean. We are going to St. Kitts, St. Marteen, Dominica, Antigua, and Tortola.

I've been to St. Maarten and Dominica and never have had a problem. I'm sure the others are fine. Just use common sense and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have been to all of those islands, some multiple times. See more beggars in USA than on any of those beautiful islands. Some do have "high pressure sales" people.

No need for guide book when you have the internet. CB always wants folks to go to library and check out guide book or buy one. I Google.

Enjoy your cruise.

We all make typos now and then. Never admit to spelling errors.

Listen...all but Grand Cayman are fairly POOR islands. There may be "beggars"...or folks wanting to sell you something. Just say, "No, thanks", and proceed. They aren't violent...they are just poor.

If you wander off the "beaten path", it's possible to go into local areas that have violence...sort of like Chicago! Just stay where the tourists go, and you'll be just fine! A guidebook will really help you with things you should see...and places you shouldn't go.

Is Chicago the only city with violence?

Never encountered any of this in 25 years of cruising. They are all very friendly and safe islands. You of course will encounter people on some islands wanting to sell you souvenirs, etc., but that is not an issue.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and congrats on booking your first cruise. You have a fantastic itinerary and will love it! I have been to most of those ports without any problems at all - and I am a woman that cruises solo!

Since it is your first cruise I would recommend you stick with RCCL excursions. They do cost a bit more but you can be confident the vendors have been vetted. You can also be confident you will make it back to the ship on time.

OP...we've been to all the islands you listed. No issues with violence ever. You may encounter on occasion someone asking you for spare change. Just nod no, smile and walk on. They won't hassle you. Always be aware of your surroundings no matter where you are visiting.

The only Caribbean port in which I remember seeing anyone begging is San Juan, Puerto Rico. There are quite a few there.

I am not counting the MONKEY GUYS in St. Kitts. Some may consider them beggars.

....or you can just go to the Shipwreck Bar where the monkeys beg for themselves......:D

I found the pushiest people during my cruises were the hair braiders in Cabo San Lucas, but Cabo isn't on your itinerary. Again, as mentioned above, just say no and keep moving along. Never encountered any violence in Dominica or St. Maarten. Haven't been to the other places you are cruising to.

Did these in November with no hassle whatsoever, in fact, St Martens is our favourite port

When you say "Beggars" are you referring to "panhandlers"? If so I have not experienced that on any island we have been to. I don't consider the people in the open air markets selling their wares beggars, but they are trying to make money. Are they aggressive in some places when you walk by, yes but when they be calling out to me I don't say no or anything but just keep it moving. I have never been approached on the streets by anyone trying to sell me anything.

I grew up right in Los Angeles and have been to many major cities around the country and have been to many countries while serving 20 years in the military. I feel safer walking around some of the islands I have been to in the Caribbean and other countries I have been to than walking the streets of many of the inner cities in the U.S. :cool:

About the same as the city I live in. Feels like home! Why are you concerned about this? It's no different than any place else. Most cases you won't even see any. I'm thinking someone is feeding you false info on the Caribbean.

I found the pushiest people during my cruises were the hair..
I read that far, and I was thinking that the pushiest people of your cruises were the hair people in the spa aboard the ship. The spa people can be pretty obnoxious at pushing product. In Labadee the vendors are restricted to vender zones (not allowed to roam the beach). On other islands various vendors are likely to approach you with offers, but they will usually move on with a firm "no thank you"; if worst comes to worst you can move along. In the spa in the middle of a treatment you are pretty much trapped.

The only ports where something of this nature was in sight was when we cruised the so called Mexican Riviera. However, you will find sometimes annoying vendors on island beaches selling their wares & services.

The only ports where something of this nature was in sight was when we cruised the so called Mexican Riviera. However, you will find sometimes annoying vendors on island beaches selling their wares & services.

But they are not beggars nor are they violent. They also will eave you alone if you ignore them or say no.

But they are not beggars nor are they violent. They also will eave you alone if you ignore them or say no.

I did not say that they are violent, but simply annoying. Also, they do not leave you alone. Some of them keep at it as they go up & down the beaches.

I did not say that they are violent, but simply annoying. Also, they do not leave you alone. Some of them keep at it as they go up & down the beaches.

Understood and I was only clarifying for the OP. Sorry if it sounded critical - not my intent. Some areas are more prone to that than others. Jamaica for one......:rolleyes:

But the ports of call with the OP's itinerary will be fine.