Celebrity S Class

Knolmom

Wondering if anyone is familiar with the HC Concierge Class cabins on Celebrity's S class Ships? We have a 14 night Baltic booked in May. Originally we booked a large Oceanview which faces front on the ship, but after sailing on a HC Balcony on the Allure with a scooter, I think that I will rent a scooter and have now upgraded to a HC concierge balcony nearer to the elevators. We sailed on the Solstice and Silhouette for the last two years while I was using a rollator, and, although we had room for it in the stateroom, both attendants told me to leave it in the hall outside the door. It will be nice to have room for a scooter and have some room to move around in the cabin.

I am especially concerned about the roll in showers. I hate when the water runs out all over the bathroom floor, and loved that the shower area on the Allure had a roll- over lip on three sides which was perforated and allowed the water to drain. Can anyone describe the shower feature on the S Class? Thanks for your help.

I've been in accessible cabins on Solstice and Equinox and did not have a problem at all with the bathroom floor flooding. They were perhaps the best appointed accessible cabins I've been in, unlike the ones on HAL, that were the worst.

Thanks for the info. I hope they are as well equipped as those on the Allure. I had to give up my 1-2-3 promotion and pay 400 pp extra to upgrade. I really feel I will need the scooter for the ship, though. I was exhausted for the last 2 years after the long port days on the 12 day Med.

We have not been in a Concierge HC cabin but I believe they are identical to the standard ones on deck 6 or 7, and they are large enough to easily accomodate a wheelchair or scooter.

However the shower area only has one drain outlet and although it is set in the lowest area of the floor you can get water spreading about the floor, especially when at sea, there is another drain across the doorway and we have never had problems with it spilling out into the bedroom. However if you ask your steward I am sure he would leave you extra bathroom mats to try and contain the seepage.

• 2 weeks later...

We had an accessible concierge on Soltice for 62 days this spring from Auckland to Seattle and never had this problem. If you see that there is a particular area that pools, just use one of the extra towels as a dam.

I agree that these are well appointed, comfortable cabins.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got off Equinox in an accessible AquaClass cabin. I took special note of the water issues because of this thread.

As Terriorjohn reported, there is one large (6" square?) drain in the corner of the shower itself, with the floor graded to direct water to it.

Then there is a long drain the length of the bathroom door, with the floor again gently graded to direct water there.

We found that after we had both showered, there was a bit of a "pool" in front of the door entry drain. But this was far better than in past accessible cabins, where the water was literally EVERYWHERE. I remember Infinity, in particular, required me to construct new feats of towel engineering each time one of us showered in order to maintain any safety at all.

My hubby loved the way the drive-under sink worked (stuck out further than others, and very large.) In general, as others have said, the S class ships have fabulous design for wheelchair users.

Just got off Equinox in an accessible AquaClass cabin. I took special note of the water issues because of this thread.

As Terriorjohn reported, there is one large (6" square?) drain in the corner of the shower itself, with the floor graded to direct water to it.

Then there is a long drain the length of the bathroom door, with the floor again gently graded to direct water there.

We found that after we had both showered, there was a bit of a "pool" in front of the door entry drain. But this was far better than in past accessible cabins, where the water was literally EVERYWHERE. I remember Infinity, in particular, required me to construct new feats of towel engineering each time one of us showered in order to maintain any safety at all.

My hubby loved the way the drive-under sink worked (stuck out further than others, and very large.) In general, as others have said, the S class ships have fabulous design for wheelchair users.

We're sailing the Equinox next fall and my mother is a full time wheelchair user. Do you have any other comments about the ship and it's accessibility? Anything done really well, anything that caused an issue?

Thanks.

We're sailing the Equinox next fall and my mother is a full time wheelchair user. Do you have any other comments about the ship and it's accessibility? Anything done really well, anything that caused an issue?

Thanks.

Equinox is a fabulous ship for a wheelchair user. No complaints at all, and lots of praise. The automatic doors on the cabins and all public restrooms make it very easy for someone in a wheelchair to navigate. If there are any non-accessible areas, we didn't find them. The pool has a lift (DH would not try it, despite our encouragement.) Every time we went to the Oceanview Cafe (main buffet), someone came along quickly offering to carry hubby's tray and otherwise assist. As above, the rooms and bathrooms are very well designed.

You sometimes have to wait to find an elevator with enough room for the wheelchair and companion, and sometimes thoughtless people will rush in ahead of you as you are positioning. But that's just life in an environment where elevators are used. At really busy times, just go against traffic and you'll end up there (ie, go down when everyone wants to go up, and stay on the elevator going back up.)

If she's independent, she will have a great time and encounter few, if any, barriers. If she needs assistance, her caregiver will find it very easy.

Have a blast!

I thought of one thing. The ship was kept very cool, even when the outside temperature was quite hot (Caribbean itinerary.) I always ended up in long sleeves for meals, and my mom (age 81) was frequently so chilled that she wanted a sweater.

Not sure what itinerary you are cruising, but if your Mom tends to get chilled, make sure you have some warmer clothing.

Equinox is a fabulous ship for a wheelchair user. No complaints at all, and lots of praise. The automatic doors on the cabins and all public restrooms make it very easy for someone in a wheelchair to navigate. If there are any non-accessible areas, we didn't find them. The pool has a lift (DH would not try it, despite our encouragement.) Every time we went to the Oceanview Cafe (main buffet), someone came along quickly offering to carry hubby's tray and otherwise assist. As above, the rooms and bathrooms are very well designed.

You sometimes have to wait to find an elevator with enough room for the wheelchair and companion, and sometimes thoughtless people will rush in ahead of you as you are positioning. But that's just life in an environment where elevators are used. At really busy times, just go against traffic and you'll end up there (ie, go down when everyone wants to go up, and stay on the elevator going back up.)

If she's independent, she will have a great time and encounter few, if any, barriers. If she needs assistance, her caregiver will find it very easy.

Have a blast!

I thought of one thing. The ship was kept very cool, even when the outside temperature was quite hot (Caribbean itinerary.) I always ended up in long sleeves for meals, and my mom (age 81) was frequently so chilled that she wanted a sweater.

Not sure what itinerary you are cruising, but if your Mom tends to get chilled, make sure you have some warmer clothing.

thanks for the information! I think the elevator thing is pretty universal on all cruise ships :)

She is often cooler than the rest of us (can't really move the right side so it's more difficult to self-regulate her temperature). I'll make sure to pack a sweater or 3 plus her capelets she crocheted (easy on, easy off).

Edited by meatloafsfan