Taxi right at the cruise terminal in Marseille?

dani negreanu

OK, I've searched this board and TripAdvisor too for the answer to the elusive :D question... How do u get from the cruise terminal to the Vieux Port? Free shuttle or not, running only on WE or not...:)

We'll be 4 (on the Allure in 2 weeks time), so ready to splurge for a taxi ... The questions is: Are there taxis right at the cruise terminal, or we'll have to walk to a taxi station?

Thanks for any replies, Dani[ela]

Tough question because it depends on whether the local taxis decide to work or take a long coffee break when you exit your ship. There are normally taxis, but its first come first serve and the early bird gets the taxi. And many of the taxis do not want to take the short haul routes such as to the old port or train station. There also should be some shuttle buses running to and fro to the Vieux Port, but there is generally a fee (no more then 10 euros).

As to the free shuttle (mentioned on this board), in our many visits to this port we have never seen such a bus. But others say it does exist (it might not have existed on our last trip). So if you are feeling lucky and want to gamble your port day on saving a few Euros see if you can find this free bus and then post the info here to help us all.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Tough question because it depends on whether the local taxis decide to work or take a long coffee break when you exit your ship.

So if you are feeling lucky and want to gamble your port day on saving a few Euros see if you can find this free bus and then post the info here to help us all.

Hank

Thank you, Hank.

NOOOOO, I don't want to waste valuable time on a short port day looking for a free ride. That's why I was asking about taxis available when we get off the ship. We want to take "Le Petit Train" and would like the taxi to take us right there.

Anyway, IF I'll see a free shuttle, be assured I'll "report":) it. I always write a DIY review when back from a cruise/land trip.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you, Hank.

NOOOOO, I don't want to waste valuable time on a short port day looking for a free ride. That's why I was asking about taxis available when we get off the ship. We want to take "Le Petit Train" and would like the taxi to take us right there.

Anyway, IF I'll see a free shuttle, be assured I'll "report":) it. I always write a DIY review when back from a cruise/land trip.

I am on Allure in October, i will look forward to your reviews of this trips and details. You sound like you will detail the getting off the ship to taxis or whatever. I have googled and searched cruise critic but there is not much information on that part. I have looked at youtube, webcams etc. My husband and I are in our sixties so its nice to hear about walking miles for cabs etc.

Have a wonderful trip.

I am on Allure in October, i will look forward to your reviews of this trips and details. You sound like you will detail the getting off the ship to taxis or whatever. I have googled and searched cruise critic but there is not much information on that part. I have looked at youtube, webcams etc. My husband and I are in our sixties so its nice to hear about walking miles for cabs etc.

Have a wonderful trip.

I live north of Marseille and was just there over the weekend. I saw the cruise terminal, gate 4, but I will seriously check it out next time I go down there. Will post details. Last year I asked at the tourist office and got a shrug. It seemed that a bus is sent up when ships are in port which isn't everyday. It is Bus 34 and on line use rtm.com.

I think getting a taxi is the answer but that doesn't mean that drivers are going way out there for a fare or two, unless it is a quiet day.

It is certainly one place where the city of Marseille could step up to the plate and provide transport options and then disseminate the information. They aren't good about that. Toulon is just as bad but the ships dock in a convenient spot, at least.

There is lots to do along that shore but the destinations across from LA JOLIETTE metro are a very long walk. There is a big, modern shopping center and a few hundred yards later a big museum complex featuring MED life and culture...and the Regards de Provence impressionist art gallery.

Susan

Was just there yesterday and saw half a dozen taxis waiting right outside our ship early morning. There was also an independent shuttle service into town for $16 RT pp. Our guide told us that it is approximately 30 minutes into town from the pier where we were docked. Marseille has a very large port, and there were four cruise ships docked yesterday.

• Like 1

Was just there yesterday and saw half a dozen taxis waiting right outside our ship early morning. There was also an independent shuttle service into town for $16 RT pp. Our guide told us that it is approximately 30 minutes into town from the pier where we were docked. Marseille has a very large port, and there were four cruise ships docked yesterday.

Great information, thanks. That $16 is worth it.

My husband and I are in our sixties so its nice to hear about walking miles for cabs etc. Have a wonderful trip.

Thank you, sparklymermaid. We had indeed a wonderful trip, BUT I think that (maybe) in the Med, the Allure doesn't handle the crowds too well :mad:

I've started a new thread, as to cover both the free shuttle and the taxi questions [the link below].

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2221515

Forgot to mention there that I'm 64 y in "good shape". Was travelling with DH (65), who had a "close encounter" with melanoma some 15 years ago, and even though he was sunscreened and covered from head to toes, when he saw that we have to walk in plain sun for about 20 min and then in town, he went back to ship. There were huge masses waiting for the 23$ shuttle offered by RC, also in plain sun. With me were also my dear cousin (DC) (60 y) and her DH (61), both still working and not very fit, but they somehow managed to long walk to town....

Thank you, Hank.

No need to take the petit train, we took a taxi mini bus direct from the ship, cost us 120 euro for two hours between six of us and it took us everywhere the little train went and stopped and waited for us at each stop.

We heard several reports the little train drivers were rude and make a disabled lady get off the train at the church on the hill and made her and wait for the next train instead of letting her stay on for a round trip.

Just an additional comment about ship sizes and the Med. We have done Med cruises on vessels ranging from 280 passengers to 3200. My personal choice would always be for the smallest ship for multiple reasons. With a smaller vessel you can get into ports not accessible by large ships. For example, on the Prinsendam (about 800 souls) we were able to cruise all the way up the Garonne River to dock in downtown Bordeaux. And there are many other ports in Europe that can only accommodate small ships. And for those who are very independent (like moi) having fewer folks means less of a problem with using public transit, getting a rental car, etc. To be very blunt, we cannot think of a single redeeming reason to cruise on a Mega ship in Europe...but can list many reasons that favor much smaller vessels. My advice to most cruisers is to book the smallest ship you can afford (keep in mind that all the ultra luxury lines use smaller ships).

Hank