Lavender Fields of Provence in July

Chunder Worthy

Our cruise enters the Port of Marseilles in July. We were ecstatic to just learn that the lavender fields of the Valensole plateau and environs will be at their peak at that time and are only 60 or so miles away. Accordingly, we've arranged an Avis rental car near the port and plan on driving there (via the classically Provençal town of Aix-en-Provence, conveniently situated along the way).

We haven't researched heavily yet, but a lot of online (day trip and excursion) info seem to suggest that the Valensole plateau is the best place to see the lavender fields. For those that have been to the region before (we haven't), can you corroborate this is true, and/or is there anything we should know - maybe about a better, more charming or less-crowded location? Evidently there are a myriad of areas where the lavender blooms.

Your info is good and we think you have the right idea in renting a car. But you are dealing with nature which means the success or failure of your venture will depend on mother nature. You can find a few decent online web sites that will steer you to some of the smaller charming villages in the region. My suggestion would be to bypass Aix and head straight to the countryside to hopefully enjoy the lavender (and maybe also some sunflowers) and then you can stop in Aix during your return if you have the time. There are some charming small villages in the area (i.e. Saint-Martin-de-Brômes) where we would much prefer to spend our time then in the metropolis of Aix. That is not to say there is anything wrong with Aix (it is a terrific city to visit) but our own preference when we stay in France is to enjoy the more rural villages.

As to driving, you are going to be primarily using the small rural roads (when you get to Lavender country) so we strongly recommend a GPS with a map for backup. And keep in mind that a large majority of the rental cars are manual shift, so if you need an automatic book far in advance and be prepared to pay a premium.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Thanks Hank -- that's some stellar information. I just semi-arbitrarily selected Aix since it appears in most guidebooks and sounded interesting with the shopping, cafes and old world street patterns, etc.; but otherwise the both of us are all for off-the-beaten path, rural or authentic towns.

As for the car, I've been using GPS units since around 2001 so (since I'm not going to purchase Europe maps for this trip) have had Avis outfit the car with one; so I'm all set there. Good suggestion. And yes, I saw our car was a manual transmission, which I'm perfectly fine with. Otherwise, we're actually going to be making a bee-line to the lavender fields; and then explore on our way back. Now I'll have a little fun and research Saint-Martin-de-Brômes (esp. since it might help us avoid a more stressful city). Of course ultimately we'll have to keep a keen eye on the clock since our ship departs at 5pm.

In any event, your comments are spot-on and greatly appreciated. Thanks for giving this fellow cruiser some more food for thought!

Mike

Edited by Chunder Worthy

Have to admit we love this thread and the OP's attitude. We are somewhat adventurous travelers (all over the world) and seldom take any kind of tour/excursion. This is just the kind of thing one should do on their own as their is not a lot of romance being crammed into a bus with 50+ others or even in a tour van with 8 people. You go drive through the countryside, stop when it suits you, stop in a small village for lunch, etc. Personally, when we know the tours are going one direction, we usually try to go the opposite way :).

Hank

Thanks, and HA - then you'd probably appreciate knowing what we're up to when we get to Livorno the next day, eschewing any cattle-call excursions to/toward Pisa, Lucca, Florence and Tuscany et al. It's going to be taxi to town, bus to Le Spezia Centrale, train to Riomaggiore (Cinque Terre), hike to Manarola (or ferry to Vernazza), hike to Corniglia (or train to Vernazza), hike (but probably train) to Monterosso. Then, uh, back to the ship via trains/taxi from La Spezia Centrale. I worked it out both/all ways. And our median age is 62. Back in time for our 6pm dinner seating (hopefully) and a few or four adult beverages afterward.

We WILL however, be doing a private (NEVER ship-borne) excursion from Kusadasi (to Ephesus) with I think, Ektol tours. We are staunch Rick Steves fans and he strongly suggests a tour on that leg. Otherwise, we don't need any kids (in their 30s or 40s) slowing us down. :rolleyes:

We like the cut of your independent traveling jib too. I say, make big plans, push the envelope, and apologize if you fall short.....LATER!

Edited by Chunder Worthy

Have you considered renting a car at the port (Sifracar does this) and just driving to Riomaggiore. When we do this we are usually parked at Riomaggiore by 9:30. And the Lovers Walk between Riomaggiore and Manarola still remains closed after being destroyed 2 years ago. And we are also big fans of EKOL and have often recommended them for Kusadasi.

Hank

Have you considered renting a car at the port (Sifracar does this) and just driving to Riomaggiore. When we do this we are usually parked at Riomaggiore by 9:30. And the Lovers Walk between Riomaggiore and Manarola still remains closed after being destroyed 2 years ago. And we are also big fans of EKOL and have often recommended them for Kusadasi.

Hank

OMG, that's so disappointing about the via dell'Amore portion of the trail, but THANK YOU for mentioning; we'll have to re-look at things. Otherwise, a rental car does sound like a viable option; but I'm not keen on driving with Italians (I'm 2nd gen myself actually) AND driving near cliffs, so... (I mean I was ON the road from Sorrento to Amalfi) might stick with the trains. haha