One day in Playa...what to do?

Texas_Diver

• 2 weeks later...
We will be in Cozumel in June on a land vacation and we are thinking that it might be nice to ferry over to Playa one day.

Neither of us are into the ruins or historical sites.

Other than those, are there any "must see" spots?

D.

do you want something different?

thursday, friday or saturday night take the ferry from Cozumel to Playa at 9pm, walk in la "Quinta Avenida" dine in a nice mexican or french restaurant, then is Playa`s nitelife, hit los "antros" bars, dancing, tequila, party!!!.....see sunrise at the beach....ferry back to Cozumel at 6 or 7am :D

Playa is a neat place and I wish that I could spend a day or two there. Nice beaches and as Kletina pointed out, 5th Ave is chocked full of neat stores and resturants. In my search for the perfect fajita, I came close at Las Bresas.

I was in Playa last year, let me say this, keeping up with 3 teenage girls on 5th ave, was not my idea of relaxation. I kept looking over at the beach and wishing I was laying on the sand.

This is one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. The spectrum of blue water is most exciting, you see ever color in the turqoise family. Absolutley amazing.

If I ever go there again, I will get some drinks, take some snacks and lay on the beach all day!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

PDC (Playa) is an amazing area filled with small businesses and restuarnts up and down 5th Avenue. Additionally there are great areas of beach and bars like Senior Frogs on the waterfront in which to enjoy some downtime.

I visit PDC every year for a week and know the area fairlly well now after 5-6 visits and absolutely love it here. For those with the time and a sense of adventure, you could hail a taxi cab to Xcaret - a eco park filled with animals, fauna, beaches, water actitivies and history. http://www.xcaret.com/. Other nearby areas include Puerto Adventuras where deep sea fishing can be arranged.

No matter what you opt for, the Riveria Maya section of Mexico has it - it is a wonderful area with wonderful folks!!!

Thanks, Clackey!

D.

Hey Tex,

If you want to see a gorgeous place grab a collectivo and go to Yal Ku Lagoon at Akumal. Absolutely gorgeous. It is a $30 taxi ride one way or you can take the collectivo for about $3.

P.S. The water is cold because of freshwater springs, but you can find warmer water at Akumal if you choose to swim.

• 1 month later...

Hands down and without a doubt Edventures. After a week in playa and 7 cruises, this is the best day I have ever had. he is flexible and helps you plan your day around your hours, too. He does go to Yal Ku, which I agree with the poster above and Loved. I have a movie posted (with all my pics) above which will give you a better idea. We chose to go to Tulum (wanted to see it but not spend a lot of time there (we spent 1hour including swim time) and it is right next door to his shop (but everything is down there). Please, for your own sake, check it out.

The other thing we did, which was fun but paled by comparrison was Selvatica. It was 12 ziplines and a bike ride to a cenote. They couldn't have done anything better and the price was right in line with what it should be.

Nothing can compete with Eddie though!

Hope this helps...have a great trip!

PS I'm not sure when it starts but since (if) you are on a land vacation, you can swim with the whale sharks out by Isla Muejas. I know it is in August but don't know the surrounding season.

• 2 weeks later...
We chose to go to Tulum (wanted to see it but not spend a lot of time there (we spent 1hour including swim time) and it is right next door to his shop (but everything is down there). Please, for your own sake, check it out. What exactly made this so great?

The other thing we did, which was fun but paled by comparrison was Selvatica. It was 12 ziplines and a bike ride to a cenote. They couldn't have done anything better and the price was right in line with what it should be. What do you mean "12" ziplines?

Nothing can compete with Eddie though!

Hope this helps...have a great trip!

PS I'm not sure when it starts but since (if) you are on a land vacation, you can swim with the whale sharks out by Isla Muejas. I know it is in August but don't know the surrounding season.

I don't think swimming with any kind of shark would make me warm and fuzzy inside! LOL

• 8 months later...

AGREE 10000% Add snorkeling in Dos Ojos Cenote to round out a perfect day.

We recently did Tulum ruins, Dos Ojos Cenote, Akumal, and Yal ku all in one day from a cruise ship with plenty of time to enjoy each. We arranged a private tour with the same company mentioned by Jennat on this thread and agree completely with the comments about the guide and the tour company. Even had an ice chest with drinks of our chosing in the van for us.

AGREE 10000% Add snorkeling in Dos Ojos Cenote to round out a perfect day.

We recently did Tulum ruins, Dos Ojos Cenote, Akumal, and Yal ku all in one day from a cruise ship with plenty of time to enjoy each. We arranged a private tour with the same company mentioned by Jennat on this thread and agree completely with the comments about the guide and the tour company. Even had an ice chest with drinks of our chosing in the van for us.

We too, did the same tour with the same tour company and couldn't have been more pleased! It was the highlight of our vacation.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone on this cruise been to the Tulum ruins? I was planning on taking a quick cab ride to Playa Del Carmen and then taking a colectivo from there to the ruins. I am guessing a couple dollars per person to get to Playa and then about $4 per person to get to the ruins. Does that sound right? Also, just wanted to make sure the ruins accept US dollars... I would be surprised if they didn't but I read somewhere they only accept pesos. Obviously I don't want to get there and then have to leave!!

If this is not the best way of transportation to the ruins from Calica, please give me some advice!! I am so excited to go and I'm sure Tulum will be breathtaking!

Also, I plan to get back to the ship the same way, so do you think there will be enough time to do some shopping in Playa? Also, are there plenty of colectivos waiting at the ruins to take people back, or should we plan on waiting a while to get a ride back? I just want to make sure we'll have plenty of time to get back to Playa and then back to Calica.

Has anyone on this cruise been to the Tulum ruins? I was planning on taking a quick cab ride to Playa Del Carmen and then taking a colectivo from there to the ruins. I am guessing a couple dollars per person to get to Playa and then about $4 per person to get to the ruins. Does that sound right? Also, just wanted to make sure the ruins accept US dollars... I would be surprised if they didn't but I read somewhere they only accept pesos. Obviously I don't want to get there and then have to leave!!

If this is not the best way of transportation to the ruins from Calica, please give me some advice!! I am so excited to go and I'm sure Tulum will be breathtaking!

Also, I plan to get back to the ship the same way, so do you think there will be enough time to do some shopping in Playa? Also, are there plenty of colectivos waiting at the ruins to take people back, or should we plan on waiting a while to get a ride back? I just want to make sure we'll have plenty of time to get back to Playa and then back to Calica.

You are a little off on cab fare. I believe that it was $11 to PDC. We took a cab to Akumal that was $30 and took collectivos back to PDC for $2 or $3@. There are bus stops along the main road where you can catch the collectivos. I don't know about the availability of public transportation at the ruins. You might be better off with a tour since you are going to be out at least $22 for cab fare plus the ruins tour. You might check with Edventures. You can also book a tour to Tulum at Calica.

Well, there are 4 of us, so I think that should cut down on costs. If the cab from Calica to PDC is around $11, that's about $3 per person, hopefully! I read that the buses to Tulum are more expensive and make more stops on the way (so it ends up taking longer), so I think the colectivos are the way to go. The ruins only cost about $4-5 to get in right? I will check with eventures though and see if I can find a tour that's not too expensive. I just think it might be cheaper to do it ourselves, but the extra work might not be worth it. Thanks for the info!

Archived