Visiting the Embera Indians - Some Questions

Smokeyham

Hello,

Planning a Panama Canal Cruise and after reading a lot of advice on these boards we are narrowing this down to a full transit, from Florida to California. Probably we will go on HAL or Princess.

We'd like to include a visit to the Embera Indians on this trip. What port should I make sure is listed in the itinerary to ensure that we can do this?

Also, I saw some posts from a few years back which highly recommended "My Friend Mario" as a tour company to use. I also see recommendations for emberavillagetours.com. Are there advantages to booking this through a private tour company (I assume lower cost is one advantage), or is this better booked this through the cruise line?

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by Smokeyham

The one thing you need to watch for with either Princess or HAL is not all of their itineraries for full transits include a full day stop in Panama. The port call you are looking for with Princess and HAL would be Ft. Amador. If by chance you were to include RCI and Celebrity their port of call for Panama would be Colon.

My Friend Mario has sort of dropped off the radar as of late... the last time I tried to check their web site it was not available. Actually if you were to elect a private tour with Anne Gordon's http://www.emberavillagetours.com/, they certainly would be the go to people. The biggest draw back would be during the drier months access to their village Embera Puru is limited due to low water levels. The most obvious advantage with a ship's excursion is knowing that you are in a very remote area with no alternate transportation is that you are protected from missing the ship. There are a number of villages that are used by the ship's excursion and there is no way of knowing which one they will use.

The only thing I'd ad to Bill's comment is watch for the description of the tour. If you are going to an actual village, and not one set up for tourists (although the folks may actually live there) is to realize that it is going to take the entire day to go to an authentic village. Usually the "Authentic Embera Village Tour" that takes all day is the real deal. Which village you actually go to depends on a number of things including the height of the river. The villages tend to be in and around Madden Lake which is a supplemental water supply for the Canal. When the Canal needs more water they can pull off a foot of water during the night which of course drops the amount of water on the rivers connected to Madden Lake. Generally this is not a problem except at the end of the dry season (usually April/May). Princess usually uses the same village that is home to Anne Gordon's family, i.e. Embera Puru. It's a great tour!

Regards, Richard

cropped-zuiderdam-1471.jpg?w=848

cropped-embera-nikki-182.jpg?w=848

cropped-zuiderdam-9741.jpg?w=848

Edited by Richard in Panama

Thank you both for your knowledgable and helpful responses. I really appreciate the assistance!

Richard, the pictures are wonderful and I am looking forward to meeting the people!

Edited by Smokeyham

The one thing you need to watch for with either Princess or HAL is not all of their itineraries for full transits include a full day stop in Panama. The port call you are looking for with Princess and HAL would be Ft. Amador. If by chance you were to include RCI and Celebrity their port of call for Panama would be Colon.

My Friend Mario has sort of dropped off the radar as of late... the last time I tried to check their web site it was not available. Actually if you were to elect a private tour with Anne Gordon's http://www.emberavillagetours.com/, they certainly would be the go to people. The biggest draw back would be during the drier months access to their village Embera Puru is limited due to low water levels. The most obvious advantage with a ship's excursion is knowing that you are in a very remote area with no alternate transportation is that you are protected from missing the ship. There are a number of villages that are used by the ship's excursion and there is no way of knowing which one they will use.

Thanks for the valuable hint. After reading your post I specifically confirmed that the cruise I am interested in will be at Fuerte Amador from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm.

I'm going to research costs for both the ship's excursion and the Embera Village Tours, but as you say the assurance that the ship will not sail without us is a big selling point in this circumstance.

• 1 month later...

Richard, we are very interested in visiting an Embera Indian village (we were fascinated by the Hill Tribe Villages in northern Thailand, and reading your blog made me want to visit the Embera's.)

However, we are sailing on the Celebrity Infinity, in early December, which stays in Colon from 9am-7pm. I do not see that any of their excursions include a visit to an Embera Village (and if I'm incorrect, perhaps it is because it is such a small part of a bigger tour?)

I have emailed Anne and await her reply, but would like to inquire if you know what Celebrity tour might offer the opportunity to visit an Embera Village?

I have emailed Anne and await her reply, but would like to inquire if you know what Celebrity tour might offer the opportunity to visit an Embera Village?

Have no idea what Celebrity is currently offering. To visit one of the authentic villages, and Embera Puru would be my choice, it is an all day trip. Some shore excursions which include a visit to an Embera village are visiting a close in demonstration village. Anne would be my first choice. I'm sure she will get back to you. Her family are Embera Puru and I know you will have a great experience. REgards, Richard

• 2 weeks later...