Cabo San Lucas post huricane

myrvhome

I've been following the recovery since my last vacation there back in August and it looks like things are progressing quite nicely. I've taken three land vacations there over the past year and can't wait to go back.

I imagine that by October 8 when the airport reopens to normal air traffic most of Cabo will be close to 100%. Here is a link with some good info including local businesses that have already reopened as of Sept. 25....

http://www.cabosanlucastours.net/Hurricane_Odile/

"Marina Update

Marina Cabo San Lucas suffered only minimal damage and no structural damage. Most fishing fleets report no damage to their boats, and several are reporting being ready to go fishing. Bisbee's fishing tournament will be running as scheduled on October 17, and many Marina area businesses have already reopened. All fishing tournaments going as scheduled. The manager of the marina is working very hard to get the marina 100% restored "tomorrow", as quoted by Peninsular Digital. Time will tell if that estimate is literal or figurative".

We received this from Diamond Resorts this morning -

Update on Aftermath of Hurricane Odile in Baja California Sur

It has been nearly two weeks since Hurricane Odile hit Baja California Sur and is now widely recognized as the worst hurricane to make landfall in the area for 50 years. The Mexican Government declared a State of Emergency for the area, and there have been up to 7,000 military personnel keeping rule and providing security services in the aftermath. As you know, all guests at the resort were successfully evacuated along with 25,000 other tourists who were there at the time. Feedback from the guests has been very complimentary about the resort team members, who were completely dedicated to ensuring their well-being until safe travels could be arranged.

The hurricane has caused wide spread damage to the entire region, and has made even local travel extremely difficult. Many residents have lost their homes, which were completely destroyed by the strength of the winds and torrential rain. The Los Cabos International Airport, whose terminal buildings were devastated in the storm, is forecasting full recovery of the facilities will take place gradually and are anticipated being completed prior to November 25, 2014. The most recent information is that flights will resume tentatively on October 8, accordingly to Grupo Aeroportuario del Pacífico’s last press release, who operates the airport. Even now, only 20% of homes, resorts and hotels in the Los Cabos area have electricity and water services. Cabo Azul Resort is extremely lucky to be one of those resorts, and this has helped enormously with the clean-up efforts. Cabo Azul Resort itself did sustain some damage. There were blown out windows in a number of rooms, some ceilings that had collapsed due to the weight of water, and the pool is filled with sand and debris. We now have an insurance review team on-site along with a remediation team to help with the initial repair work.

At this time, all guests with reservations up to the end of November 2014 are being contacted to discuss their booking being cancelled and possibly rebooked elsewhere. Please e-mail us at CaboAzulInfo@diamondresorts.com if we have not yet managed to contact you directly. Currently, we are not taking new reservations for Cabo Azul Resort until after January 2, 2015 in order to give the resort time to regain all facilities and let the local area resume their usual services as well. This is subject to change. If the resort can be opened earlier, we will certainly review those booking conditions and let everyone know if anything changes.

Diamond Resorts has been overwhelmed by the dedication of the resort team at Cabo Azul Resort, who still returns to the resort each day to assist in the clean-up operations. We want to thank everyone involved for all their hard work. While we have been able to supply immediate aid, the Diamond Resorts Foundation(DRIF) has initiated an Emergency Relief Fund for the local community. Should you be interested in making a tax-deductible donation, you may write a check to the DRI Foundation or donate by credit card by visiting DRIFEmergencyReliefFund.org. The Diamond Resorts Foundation has partnered with a local non-profit in Mexico that will deliver necessary aid to our team members, their families and locals in the area who have been affected by this disaster. The funds raised will initially be allocated to the Mexico relief efforts. If the Foundation determines that sufficient funds have been distributed to support those affected in Mexico, additional funds raised for the Emergency Relief Fund of the DRI Foundation are anticipated to be used to support other emergency relief efforts that may arise in the future.

Thanks everyone for all the update information.

I am on a Panama Canal cruise in January and Cabo was one of the ports I was looking so foward to re-visiting since my last Mexican Riviera cruise 30 years ago.

My memories of Cabo are still in my mind....it was one of the nicest ports we visited then.

Someone on these boards recommended Medano Beach and a place called Tabascos there.

I was really looking forward to going there....it sounded great.

I will hope for the best.

January is three months away and it appears that things are getting back to normal quicker than expected.

Don

My friend's sister& brother in law left 9/25 on Holland America for cruise to Panama Canal. First stop was going to be Cabo. As of 9/23, cruise line said they were still going to Cabo. But when they got on the ship, they were told they were going to Mazatlan instead. It's doubtful that Cabo will be in any shape for visitors in the next few months. My cruise is Christmas week so we will have to wait and see. Our only other port is PV.

Thanks everyone for all the update information.

I am on a Panama Canal cruise in January and Cabo was one of the ports I was looking so foward to re-visiting since my last Mexican Riviera cruise 30 years ago.

My memories of Cabo are still in my mind....it was one of the nicest ports we visited then.

Someone on these boards recommended Medano Beach and a place called Tabascos there.

I was really looking forward to going there....it sounded great.

I will hope for the best.

January is three months away and it appears that things are getting back to normal quicker than expected.

Don

For those with Facebook this is a link to photo taken of Medano Beach yesterday. Looks great!

This am, Seatrade insider said the first ship to call on Cabo would be the Carnival Miracle. It's sched to be inport on the 6th and will be carrying relief supplies. The Zuiderdam was sched on the 3rd and the Star on the 4th.

Tim

The ships are coming!:)

Also just read that the restaurants are slowly reopening.

I've seen links to The Office on Medano Beach, Solomans Landing and Giggling Marlin.

GM is giving also is giving food to the hungry. Reason enough to have lunch there.

We will be there on Oct 23rd on the Grand Princess...so happy to be able to help in any way, even if it is only spending our dollars there.

Go Cabo!!!:rolleyes:

That's exactly how you can help, try a little local flavor and contribute to the economy.

From what I have read, most of the restaurants along the marina are back in business and starting to serve from their full menus.

SadieN is right,the Giggling Marlin along with the Giggling Bean, which is a newer coffee shop attached to them, have put out a sign saying if you have nothing to eat, come on in and we'll take care of you. That is the spirit of Mexico!:D Giggling Bean is definitely a locals hangout, go check it out, owned by mother and daughter ex-pats from San Diego. They have only been open a little over a year.

Yes...the Zuiderdam is tendered off Cabo... Checked out the webcam from Villa Los Arcos resort. http://www.cabovillas.com/properties.asp?PID=199#cam

Or...since it may have moved on by the time anyone views this...here is the picture

http://www.cabocast.com/webcam_images/1_xlarge.jpeg?1412364667415

Edited by DougMacP

Based on ship tracker, Miracle was scheduled to arrive Cabo...9:30 am local time...based on Cabo beach live web cams.....Miracle isn't there yet......my son's family is on NEXT weeks cruise....anyone know anything?

Based on ship tracker, Miracle was scheduled to arrive Cabo...9:30 am local time...based on Cabo beach live web cams.....Miracle isn't there yet......my son's family is on NEXT weeks cruise....anyone know anything?

Wonder if this has anything to do with Hurricane Simon?

• 2 weeks later...
Wonder if this has anything to do with Hurricane Simon?

I know this is late but yes Hurricane Simon was the cause for the delay. They had to slow the ship down as the seas in my opinion were fine but wife thought they were rough. There was an NCL ship in front of us the whole way in and they slowed as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

From what I have been reading it sounds like Cabo San Lucas is pretty much destroyed!

I was thinking of going on a western coastal Mexican cruise from LA this fall but no cruise line, including Carnival, seems to be talking about modified ports of call, or for that matter any contingency options if we book and Cabo is closed to port traffic, anyone heard anything?

I know I wont even think of booking anything on any cruise line until they address this issue.

Cabo and San Jose is pretty well back to order, all stores are open. Those mexican people work really hard to get back to normal as tourism is what they depend on. I have heard of other cruiselines being there already. We go there every year for 6 weeks and I am not worried about a thing. I know people that live there and that is where I am getting my information. Marlster