Any "Must Do's" in Nassau, Key West

Hi all. Im booked on the Majesty March 15th sailing. It will be my girlfriend's first ever cruise and my second.

I was wondering if there were any "must do's" in Nassau and Key West. Providing we can actually go to Cococay, we plan on that being a beach day, but are unsure of what we want to do in the other two locations.

Thanks

Nassau's "must do" is probably Atlantis. Just cab it over there and explore. If your girlfriend has never been to the straw market, it's a must do if she's a shopper. Key West has always been a great walking day. The Southernmost point and the "90 miles to Cuba" thing. Plus lunch at the original Margaritaville and I'm happy. While in Cococay, there is a very nice nature trail so you and your girlfriend can find a nice secluded beach to hang out on.

Ardastra Gardens in Nassau... they have the Marching Flamingos.

We went on our own, missed the show, but ended up meeting the trainer.

He pretty much gave us a private show, let the kids march around with the birds.

n1507726387_30039161_7563.jpg

They also have an area where you get to feed some sorta parrot-thing. Put out your hand with a piece of apple, and they'll fly over, land on your hand, and start eating.

That was cool.

The ship is the thing in Nassau, IMO,...if you must get off, take a walk around the little "shopping" area...

The pool will be virtually yours alone on port days...it's a lovely way to use the ship that you've PAID to use!

Paying to go to Atlantis' pool seems a waste of $$$ to me. If you want to see the hotel, eat in the restaurants, shop in their stores or gamble, there's no charge to do any of those thing. Atlantis is a quick cab ride.

There are a ton of GREAT bars to hang out in at Key West... Great for a beer and a quick bite.

There's a Butterfly Conservatory in Key West... which used to be REALLY unique, but now EVERYONE has a butterfly farm of some sort.

Still, it's neat to walk around some garden and have butterflies flitting around your head.

http://www.keywestbutterfly.com/

... and if you're there, might as well get a picture of yourselves here:

FLKEYsouthernmost.jpg

Key Lime Pie in Key West. I will be there in Oct. and plan to have 2 slices. Yum! In Nassau we did a glass bottom boat tour, through RC....Don't Do It! We walked around and ended up back on the ship pretty quickly.

NASSAU:

There is an historical walk on Fodor's. It takes you to the library, QVictoria statue, courthouses, parliament, the fort, water tower, Queen's staircase etc. Doesn't take long but is interesting and up by the fort are great prices for stuff, if you're into that. I like to learn something about the place I visit. There's the pirate museum. It's okay, a bit poor man's Disney. And I love pirates-safe ones, that is.

I hear the beach (forgot the name)-where the fish restaurant places are, is wonderful. The best advice I got was from a native who said to rent a car for a day & visit the other side of the island.

Atlantis is beautiful, but it is a resort. Reminded me of a fancy Vegas Hotel but in a tropical paradise rather than the middle of the desert. Did not like the straw market. Yikes. Depends on what you're into. And try conch. "When in Rome, man".

PS: these Nassau people are some of the nicest, most polite, lovely people anywhere. Cheers!

PS: these Nassau people are some of the nicest' date=' most polite, lovely people anywhere. Cheers!

[/color']

Remember to be on your guard in Nassau, though...

http://www.tribune242.com/10142009_touristsrobbed_news_pg1

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

POLICE are hunting two vicious robbers who held a group of terrified tourists at gunpoint and made off with their cash and possessions.

The victims, understood to be Americans from a cruise ship, feared for their lives as they were held up.

And it is thought the attack may have major repercussions on Nassau's tourist trade, with would-be visitors fearing for their personal safety.

The 11-strong group of men and women were attacked at the top of the Queen's Staircase on Sunday morning.

They had arrived in Nassau on a cruise ship and were on a taxi cab tour of the capital's historic sites when their pleasant visit turned to terror as they viewed the 66 steps.

We stayed in Key West for 10 days, Duval street is a must. It has lots of open area bars and lots of little stores. YOu can walk all over Key West. It is a great place and I can't wait to go back....

Have fun.

Kathy

Hi! I'm also going to be on the Majesty on the 15th!!!! :DSee ya there! When we are in Nassau, our group is going to be going to the British Colonial Hilton, which is a few blocks away from the docks. They have a beach, kayaks, pool, etc. It's $40 for the whole day, plus you get $30 credit at their restaurant. It's right by Senor Frogs too! :p

Key West is great to just walk around. I enjoyed the shipwreck museum, Earnest Hemingway's house as well as walking by all of the small personal yahts/boats and looking at them. Can't miss the key lime pie (key lime everything really!) either!!!

Looking forward to sailing! We're only, like 9 days out!:eek:

Nassau's "must do" is probably Atlantis. Just cab it over there and explore. If your girlfriend has never been to the straw market, it's a must do if she's a shopper. Key West has always been a great walking day. The Southernmost point and the "90 miles to Cuba" thing. Plus lunch at the original Margaritaville and I'm happy. While in Cococay, there is a very nice nature trail so you and your girlfriend can find a nice secluded beach to hang out on.

Ditto here but my Lunch in Key west is Sloppy Joes... 1/2 Liquid Lunch 1/2 original sloppy Joe sandwich

I've been to nassau 5 times...Not much to see now but I would recommend the Queens staircase or when you get off the ship there are locals offering to take you on a tour of the island...worth the money and they take you to pretty much everything..Queens staircase, atlantis, the rich side and poor side of the island...You can also walk to the Queens staircase which Ive done and would not recommend walking ever!...I would also be careful in Nassau...We had a local stop us the last time and talk for 30 mins about how the government is crooked and that all the travelers should be careful....Coco Cay is by far the best island to relax...they have a free bbq lunch thats really good....I have to wait until July:(.....Have fun!

Last time I was there my dd and I took the taxi over to Atlantis and paid 60pp to go thru and we really enjoyed it...beautiful man made beach...great aquarium...we really thought it was worth the money...then before boarding again we did some of the markets...

Key West...there is so much to do...we have been there several times and always find walking around and enjoying Duvall St is great, the Hemingway house is nice...last time we took the Conch Train around...get the one that you can get on and off at different stops...it might be more but oh so worth it...we got a guided tour of the entire island and could get off and on at the stops...so we stopped a few times...once at Margaritaville for lunch...beach to check it out...and also right by the ship is the Museum of Art that is great to walk around the outside and see all the nice art...Also great unusually shopping...best port of call in our book....

At sailaway in KW make sure you are ready with camera for sunset...the dock will fill with people just to see the sunset...If you would like to see my pics, click on my link in the signature and look for Majesty of the Seas...it was our first mother/daughter cruise...dh, dd and myself have been there several times consider it a favorite port...

Thats awesome Iowa Law Hawk! How many is your group?

Only a couple of us . . . but we're up for a major good time!:D One of my friends that is going is on his first cruise too, just like your girlfriend! We're gonna have a blast! This is my 3rd RCCL cruise and I can't wait! Hope to see you on board!:p

Archived