Costa Drink Packages Overview

G.M.T.

My parents pre-purchased this prior to their Luminosa cruise last month. Neither of them are big drinkers and never drink cocktails. However they were both unanimous in their praise of the value for money of this package!

They even tried the various cocktails offered along with wine at dinner. No complaints about the standard of wine or the generous pour in the cocktails.

They both said that the drinks package would make them return to Costa in a heartbeat! It's definitely the market leader in terms of value for money and variety!

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from the Costa Fortuna and having purchased the drinks package for the first time can only say how great it worked for us.

Just done a quick tot up and we believe that we made a saving of around €400 between the 2 of us and my wife doesn't even drink alcohol.

If you start with 2 coffees in the morning that's €5 each straight away. I had 2 beers at lunch time which is another €9 to add on and then if you add all the little soft drinks etc and the wine and water in the dining room you can't go wrong.

I did pay for mine before it went up to €23.50 so its even more of a bargain.

I shall be buying again next time we do Costa too :D

• 1 month later...

On an older thread, I have seen some suggest that we buy the AI package once on board, with a possibility of a discount or perhaps credit to whatever waiter suggests it to us (leading to better service), but others have stated that the 15% service charge would apply if we did that and that we should purchase it online ahead of time.

A related question... I see the 23.50 euro charge under 'all-inclusive beverages' tab, but then only 20.43 euro if I book it through the 'on-board desires' link. Does anyone know if these are the same, and if not, what differs? I cannot find an actual list of what is included besides 'a selection of alcoholic and soft drinks by the glass plus coffee' stated for both packages.

They are the same the price difference is because drink packages and excursions get a discount if you purchase before the trip through the web site.

My confusion is that both prices are currently on the website for purchase ahead of time, just in different sections of the site.

There is no price difference between buying the AI drinks package, either before the cruise or while on board (same goes for excursions).

The €20.43 is the price without the 15% service charge.

See message 7 above.

I just paid my Amex bill for our AI on our forthcoming cruise. Total - for 7 nights for two people = £278.80 - We were out last Friday night for drinks and dinner and our tab was way more than that!

7 nights - all drinks - I still get a kick outta Costa

less than £20 per day per person - its nuts!:D

Love Costa AI!

• 1 month later...

Thks for all the information...cannot imagine aday per person can drink up to so much... hmm

What happens if there are people who do not drink alcohol, no beer, no wine.

Lets say a couple, husband is no beer drinker, no alcohol, no wine

So how can both husband and wife have to buy the same package eg all inclusive ?

Can just wife buy the package only one person!

Appreciate yr kind reply

Thks for all the information...cannot imagine aday per person can drink up to so much... hmm

What happens if there are people who do not drink alcohol, no beer, no wine.

Lets say a couple, husband is no beer drinker, no alcohol, no wine

So how can both husband and wife have to buy the same package eg all inclusive ?

Can just wife buy the package only one person!

Appreciate yr kind reply

No, all people in the same cabin must purchase the AI.

All passengers in the same cabin (including kids) and / or on the same booking number must purchase the All Inclusive Package.

When Costa started with AI some years ago, it could be ordered individually, but a small minority spoilt it for everyone else, by ordering for the whole family or for the whole table at dinner time.

The AI also includes water, speiclaiity coffees, chocolate, sodas, juices and non alcoholic cocktails.

So now it is either ALL or NONE.

Edited by G.M.T.

Thank you all for yr information. Just call my travel agent, there is another drink package..call girks n boys. It works on coupon basis ... sound good. Has anyone come across that ???

Someone mention on youtube , keep the water bottle after drinking, can use for refilling from ???? Just want to reconfirm the above info I heard fr Youtube

Thank you....

There are several packages which may suit modest and non-drinkers.

A water package offers bottles of water with meals, also there are wine and soft drink packages.

I tried the AI deal in May. I bought it on the second day, saving €23.50. I enjoyed trying new drinks, but quickly realised I was drinking for the sake of it, and most enjoyed fresh, sparkly water, capuccinos, and the delicious coffee ice cream at the rear pool bar (cremafredda? Like a latte slushy!). The wine at dinner was ok, but nothing special.

Happynew, if you take thermos drink holders you can take away water, ice, etc from the lido buffet. They don't like you refilling water bottles, for hygiene reasons. Also, for the first time, they refused to serve tap water at dinner, so they are getting a bit stricter.

Thank you all for yr information. Just call my travel agent, there is another drink package..call girks n boys. It works on coupon basis ... sound good. Has anyone come across that ???

Someone mention on youtube , keep the water bottle after drinking, can use for refilling from ???? Just want to reconfirm the above info I heard fr Youtube

Thank you....

The Boys and Girls Cards is for 20 non-alcohic drinks, can be used by more than one person, you can buy as many as you need. The last ürice I have is €48.30.

There are water dispensers in the buffet area, but as previously mentioned it is frowned upon / not allowed to refill water bottles, one cause for the spread of Novovirus. Buy the water package 13 bottles for €29.90.

There are also various Coffee card, for expresso, cappacino etc.

Edited by G.M.T.

Hi all , many thanks for yr kind reply. So it seems it is always wise to hqve a thermo flask , for cold or hot drinks..hehe.

Non drinkers , seemlike the boys and girls coupon would be practical.

We do not simply want to drink for the sake of drinking ..just for the all inclusive package.. which someone mention. I will bear in mind. Ok.

Many thanks again for your time.

Hello,

I've scanned the leaflets with the different offers available this May, which may help you choose.

You'll see the AI adult and young offers are on the same leaflet, and I scanned it twice to get it to fit.

It says that the All Inclusive Young Beverage Package can only be purchased in companion with an adult AI Beverage Package, and only be purchased for guests between 4 and 17 years of age. Presumably, this is to stop people sneaking in hip flasks! :D Children less that 4 years of age do not pay.

The Boys and Girls offer of 20 non-alcoholic drinks was €54.99 in May, saving 20%.

Hope this helps. :)

adult AI 05 14.pdf

packages 05 14.pdf

young AI 05 14.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
We have an overnight on the ship prior to sailing the next day and we don't intend to be on the ship much that day. My question is; can I take the drinks package from day 2 and not pay for day 1?

I see you are from Scotland..........;);) Might explain the question. ;)

But from our experience its all or nothing.

We have an overnight on the ship prior to sailing the next day and we don't intend to be on the ship much that day. My question is; can I take the drinks package from day 2 and not pay for day 1?

I have seen people sign up after the first day. Hopefully they still do that.

If you want to be sure of getting the AI package it is best to booked it before you go.

Costa have a knack of changing the rules without notice, recently you had to go to reception to have your card changed, before that it was written on it, before that in the cabin.

November sees a increase in the daily price.

Breakfast charges were made for non premium cabins without notice, on two cruises AI was not available on board.

Just completed 25 Costa cruises.

Edited by tenpin

We've just got back from our 9th Costa Cruise, this time aboard Costa Deliziosa. Very nice ship, we like Costa they have always been great.

With regard to the all inclusive drinks package we've had it on our last 3 cruises and found it excellent. Yes they have changed it slightly ie no longer get bottles of wine or water now get these as per glass. It's still a very very good deal. During the day we'd have the soft drinks or non alcoholic cocktails which were very refreshing. For our meals glasses of wine (no restriction) or beer and even a liqueur (inc brandy) after and then of course the "alcoholic" cocktails were lovely - specially the Mai Tai.

All in all we would say go for it!

Happy Cruising and looking forward to our next Costa in November:):)

We've just got back from our 9th Costa Cruise, this time aboard Costa Deliziosa. Very nice ship, we like Costa they have always been great.

With regard to the all inclusive drinks package we've had it on our last 3 cruises and found it excellent. Yes they have changed it slightly ie no longer get bottles of wine or water now get these as per glass. It's still a very very good deal. During the day we'd have the soft drinks or non alcoholic cocktails which were very refreshing. For our meals glasses of wine (no restriction) or beer and even a liqueur (inc brandy) after and then of course the "alcoholic" cocktails were lovely - specially the Mai Tai.

All in all we would say go for it!

Happy Cruising and looking forward to our next Costa in November:):)

Well said. Our next Costa Cruise is in November as well. We really enjoy the AI too.

I see you are from Scotland..........;);) Might explain the question. ;)

But from our experience its all or nothing.

I don't think being Scottish has anything to do with it. At 25 euros per day for 4 people that won't drink anything the first day, that saves 100 euro. If we have to take it from day 1 then so be it. I think it will still be good value.

• 1 year later...

I've just booked neoRomantica 17 Nov 10 Dec 2015

Is only the more expensive AI available on neoRomanica ?

Does anyone have information on wine packages. I understand that as a Coral member I get 20% off wine, but not off AI. How many drinks would one have to consume to breakeven or, better still, make a profit. After all, as one says in Yorkshire ,"Brass is brass" & "Tha' gets now't for owt, & b..... all for 6p."

Hi Kasuku

Yes the Neo ships are all more expensive for some reason.

We were on Meditteranea for 7 days in September and didnt bother with the AI package because a: we were with a couple who didnt drink and b: we were going ashore every day so we didn't feel we would make the most out of AI.

I hated not ordering coffees and juice, but otherwise it was OK. We ordered a bottle of wine for dinner or bought by the glass and had a few beers and wines throughout the cruise. Nothing like what we would have had if we had bought the AI.

Our bill at the end of the cruise was a lot less than the AI would have cost - like over 100 euros less!

We did sneak on some gin in a small water bottle (checked in luggage) to drink on our balcony though. We bought mixers ashore and had no problem bringing them onboard - can of bitter lemon and can of tonic.

We are off on the Magica Transatlantic next month - the AI has been purchased! Well worth it as there are so many sea days.

Caryl