Which stop for best snorkeling?

Reenwad

So I booked a cruise and I want to go snorkeling at one of the ports, but not sure which one would be best.

I have been snorkeling many times, so it's nothing new to me, and I do have my own stuff, so cost isn't a factor - but these stops are all new to me! I don't like just jumping in the ocean and hope fish swim by. I like to snorkel around the reefs/coral.

Out of the ports below, which would be:

(1) Best to see fish

(2) Close to the port

(3) Best company to use

St. Thomas

Antigua

Tortola

Nassau

Thanks for any help!

Hi,

As backgroud, we don't get off the ship unless there is snorkeling involved. I love snorkeling!

In St. Thomas, I highly recommend Secret Harbour. We took a cab there and rented chairs. It is a beautiful beach with great snorkeling. Off to the right is kind of rocky, but coral growing, etc. and we saw lots of fish and a barracuda, and then over to the left last the dock thing out in the middle of the water there was a more reef like area with lots of fish. Sapphire was ok, but getting pretty bleached and damaged from the people. Everyone raves about Trunk Bay over in St. John, although beautiful, I wasn't wowed by the snorkeling and it is a long trip over there. If you search Secret Harbour in the St. Thomas area (I think) you should be able to find my longer review.

We have been to Antigua twice. The first time we did the lobster lunch tour with Creole and it was an amazing day. The snorkeling was great (not the best I've seen, but lots to see) and we got to see a huge barracuda. They actually have it named because it hangs out there all the time. The second time we did the private beach break with the ship. You go to a time island, which is really only a beach and a small restaurant, just off shore. The setting was very nice, but the snorkeling wasn't very good. I heard Cades reef is good, but I haven't been there.

In Tortola, we love Patouche. We have gone on two tours with them and both times it has been amazing. Once we had 8 people on the tour and the other time 4. The guides were great and came in the water with us to point out interesting things, etc. We experienced some great snorkeling with Patouche and would highly recommend them. Again, I'm sure I have more detailed reviews from closer to when we went with them, likely on teh Tortola sub-board.

We haven't been to Nassau for a very long time.

Sue

I was also going to recommend Patouche in Tortola. We did a sail and snorkel trip with them and they were some of the best snorkel spots I've ever been too and as a diver I've got pretty high standards for snorkelling.

Some of my family did a snorkel tour in the Bahamas with Stuart Cove's and they said that was fantastic, but I can't speak to that one personally.

Wow, sounds like Patouche is the place to go so far!!

I found the website, which trip did you guys do?

Anyone else have suggestions?

Anyone know anything about the Thunderball Grotto in Nassau?

Wow, sounds like Patouche is the place to go so far!!

I found the website, which trip did you guys do?

The treasure caves sail and snorkel is one we did and it was great. The Baths is really cool to see but the snorkeling over there isn't great. We have never done that other one they mention on there. I think the other tour we didn't isn't mentioned any more. I always found them really helpful. Email them and tell them you are coming in on a cruise and looking to do go snorkeling and see what they suggest.

Sue

The treasure caves sail and snorkel is one we did and it was great. The Baths is really cool to see but the snorkeling over there isn't great. We have never done that other one they mention on there. I think the other tour we didn't isn't mentioned any more. I always found them really helpful. Email them and tell them you are coming in on a cruise and looking to do go snorkeling and see what they suggest.

Sue

We also did the treasure caves one. I agree with you about the Baths, really beautiful spot, but not much for snorkelling.

• 2 months later...

I decided to go to Brewer's Bay in Tortolla. Best "from the beach" snorkleing is what I hear. Quite beach with a restaurant that serves cold beers.

I know it's not gonna be THE BEST snorkeling I've ever done, but I did get a group of 43 friends to join me! We'll have a great time no matter what, so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed the snorkeling is decent.

St Thomas' Coki Beach has never failed me when it comes to the snorkeling experience. I've been there in June/July/Sept. Each time I was always glad I went back even though other passengers or even cab drivers wanted us to go elsewhere. Its a smaller beach so its less crowded. Schools of fish are always hanging around. Depending on how adventurous you are, you can swim out a little further and see larger sized fish.

• 2 weeks later...

St Thomas is probably the best of the bunch for snorkeling, although Tortola is excellent as well. Coki Beach is very good, although it can get murky depending on the weather, there is a dive shop there you can call/email to check current conditions - http://www.cokidive.com/ They also have a link to their site about snorkeling, and they do rent the equipment right there. http://www.cokidive.com/snorkeling.html

Also I highly recommend the "turtle cove" or Buck Island boat tours. They will take you out to a snorkel site and every time I have been out there either to snorkel or scuba it has been amazing.

Archived