Confused

Dleavitt

Hello cruise experts,

My wife and I (we're in our 50s) went on one cruise in our lives (Seabourn Adriatic) and loved it. We'd like to take our two twenty-something daughters on a one week cruise in late August (maybe Alaska or Northern Europe & Russia or Greece/Turkey) but we're confused as to which cruise lines to consider. We'd like the trappings of a "high end" cruise experience, but we'd like a slightly larger (not huge) ship that may have some younger people on it and a little more for my daughters to do both during the day and at night. Does this exist? Thanks in advance!! -DML

Most high end cruise like Seabourn may not cater to your children with the night life

It will be a trade off

high end cruise with limited activities for young adults

Main stream line with not so high end amenities/food for parents

I would discuss with them as a family what is more important to make the cruise enjoyable for both age groups

I would do the Northern Europe cruise but that is me ;)

Enjoy whatever cruise you choose

Hello cruise experts,

My wife and I (we're in our 50s) went on one cruise in our lives (Seabourn Adriatic) and loved it. We'd like to take our two twenty-something daughters on a one week cruise in late August (maybe Alaska or Northern Europe & Russia or Greece/Turkey) but we're confused as to which cruise lines to consider. We'd like the trappings of a "high end" cruise experience, but we'd like a slightly larger (not huge) ship that may have some younger people on it and a little more for my daughters to do both during the day and at night. Does this exist? Thanks in advance!! -DML

NCL's Haven suites (2 bedroom) would offer something close to what you want. The NCL Jade is in the Med year round.

Princess does some Alaskan cruises, while not high end, more middle end, they are known for their alaskan experiences.

It would still be nice and they offer cruises with the 7 day trip with the train ride in Alaska with the clear roof that is pretty special for the views.

Part of the issue you are going to have is that the timing and itinerary you are looking at tend to collect a more senior crowd. I'd probably go with Alaska, and Princess. Not as high end as what you experienced on Seaborn, but should fit the bill for a nice family cruise.

Hi Texas Tillie,

Do you have any suggestions for my family?

My cruising experiences have been Crystal on the luxury end of the spectrum and Holland America and Princess at the middle market area. Most of my Crystal pals have good things to say about Celebrity - the new ships - not the older ones and the 2 new Oceania ships. I think it also might depend on the destination as to whether or not there will be younger adults in any number. From what I've heard, Greece, etc. is beastly hot and crowded in August. I'm an Alaska fan that time of the year.

Princess does some Alaskan cruises, while not high end, more middle end, they are known for their alaskan experiences.

It would still be nice and they offer cruises with the 7 day trip with the train ride in Alaska with the clear roof that is pretty special for the views.

True! Princess has been doing Alaska for a very long time!

We've had many wonderful experiences with Princess! It's our favorite cruise line and the one on which we most often sail! :)

LuLu

~~~~

Hi Texas Tillie,

Do you have any suggestions for my family?

Not knowing what your family would enjoy it is hard to recommend a cruise line that would be high end yet have things for the young adults to do ..

As I suggested you need to compromise on some of things to make both age groups happy

Let us know what your young adults would be interested to do during the day & evenings

Europe cruises are usually more port intensive so people are off the ship most of the day & the evenings they may just want dinner & a show then off to bed for the next early morning tours

Do you want lively or subdued evening entertainment ?

do you want a large ship or smaller ship

Maybe finding a cruise agent that you can talk to & discuss your families wants/needs can help narrow down the choices

More offerings for their 20 something daughters.

Also, RCCL does have some very good $pecialty restaurants!

In fact several of the mass market cruise lines are quite decent and can be made even better by booking suites and making reservations in $pecialty restaurants. ;)

LuLu

~~~~

Princess does a great Alaskan cruisetour combo, but it is two weeks - one week on land and one week cruising.

I think that Princess or Celebrity will have the balance you are looking for no matter where you cruise.

I think that Princess or Celebrity will have the balance you are looking for no matter where you cruise.

Totally agree with you -- Princess or Celebrity!

We especially enjoy our fellow passengers on both of these cruise lines. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Archived