RCCL refund question

Mikä1539185720

If you paid for the room for seven days it your room! For seven days! Let's agree to disagree!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, but the WRITTEN terms are "No shows forfeit the entire reservation".

If one *wanted* to "keep" the room from being rented, I guess one would need to call each afternoon and state that one was arriving much later than expected, and to KEEP the room.

And then to do that every day.

These are nice hotels, and I have no doubt they would comply with each daily request.

But why...?

We'd have no need to try to prevent the hotel from renting rooms that we KNEW we would NOT be using.

And we also don't need to annoy them, given that we'd be returning the next year.

We can agree that you are not familiar with the written and agreed upon rules/regulations at these particular hotels.

Other hotels do indeed have a variety of different rules about amount of deposit and cancellation/no-show rules.

If you want to continue to make up things about hotels and mutually agreed upon terms that you are not familiar with, I won't interfere any more.

Enjoy.

I own 13 rental properties and rent them on a year lease which is a contract if the lease is broken in the 3rd month I don't get to collect the rest of the year lease. I only can collect up to 3 months additional, if I re rent the property in one month I can only charge the previous tenant one month, the purpose of forfeiting is to make you whole not make you a bonanza, the cruise lines get away with it because they are not subject to US contract law. If you reserve a hotel room for a week and cancel at the last minute you only get charged for one night not the whole week! If they can re sell the cabin there should some refund to the first party!...

I see what you are saying and that your are trying to make a comparison between cancelling a cruise and breaking a lease on a rental property. It's not the same as a cruise is tied to specific dates and therefore is a "perishable" product. If somebody skips out on their lease you have the expense of additional marketing but you can move in somebody as soon as the place can be made ready for a new tenant. A cruise line cannot market that sailing after the departure date. And the closer it is to sailing the smaller the "rental market". They can't sell that cabin to anybody who needs a visa (like a lot of non-US passport holders) or cannot get the time off from work (like a lot of people still in the labor force.)

When I went to London last year the hotel offered a great rate if one accepted a no refunds/no changes policy for the entire prepaid stay. It made no difference whether they resold the room or not. Those were the terms for that rate. (I booked but not at the no refund/no changes prepaid rate.)

Edited by BlueRiband

I own 13 rental properties and rent them on a year lease which is a contract if the lease is broken in the 3rd month I don't get to collect the rest of the year lease. I only can collect up to 3 months additional, if I re rent the property in one month I can only charge the previous tenant one month, the purpose of forfeiting is to make you whole not make you a bonanza, the cruise lines get away with it because they are not subject to US contract law. If you reserve a hotel room for a week and cancel at the last minute you only get charged for one night not the whole week! If they can re sell the cabin there should some refund to the first party!

When you buy a cruise you agree to the terms of their contract

The cancellation details are clearly spelled out

CPT Trips recommended that for future bookings. The OP is out of luck here. One cannot buy fire insurance if the house has already burned down.

Exactly

CPT said "then canceling in the near future."

did not sound like buying ins for a future cruise to me

Those are charged by the reservation companies like Expedia that are selling the rooms at big discounts. The cancel fee goes to them not the hotel in most cases

Wrong.

Hotels set the cancellation policies. AND the money from the cancellation goes to the hotel. Now, some of the OTAs tack on their own cancellation fee, so you are actually charged a larger fee than if you booked directly. Different rate plans have different CXL policies. At some hotels and resorts, the time of year determines the cancellation terms. At resorts I've worked at, Christmas week, Presidents Week, and 2 other local special times, it didn't matter which rate plan you book - if you can't show up, you lose it. Other times of the year, you could have a 30, 45, or 90 day cancellation deadline. Same with airfare. Different fares have different CXLs - you can buy fully changeable/refundable or no refund/no change...

Edited by slidergirl