Geriatric Cruise?? Carnival Miracle to Hawaii

cruizergal70

We met one lady who had a horn on her scooter and would use it if people were in her way. I think the scooter only had one speed - fast.
I would agree about someone on the scooter blowing a horn. But I handle simple. I don't move. Smile, turn around in their path and say you are hard of hearing. I usually point to my hearing aids. My adult supervision usually tries to reign me in. She does have a tough job. But that's why I love her and take her on all these cruises. She'll tell you that she takes me. But that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Looking forward to our cruise in December.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I would agree about someone on the scooter blowing a horn. But I handle simple. I don't move. Smile, turn around in their path and say you are hard of hearing. I usually point to my hearing aids. My adult supervision usually tries to reign me in. She does have a tough job. But that's why I love her and take her on all these cruises. She'll tell you that she takes me. But that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Looking forward to our cruise in December.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

What a great idea. One way to get more value from wearing hearing aids:cool:

• 1 month later...
Are there really going to be a lot of gym rats at 6 am? Geesh.

Yes, and for a reason only God knows they drag the treadmills across the floor. Then drop the conveyor on the floor (BAM)

I say no hamsters in the gym until after breakfast.

Yes, and for a reason only God knows they drag the treadmills across the floor. Then drop the conveyor on the floor (BAM)

No worry about getting a Cabin under the gym on the Spirit class. That’s Bridge Officer country, including the captain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did this cruise in 2015. This is what I noticed. 8:15 MDR sitting was almost empty. Lots of wheelchairs, walkers and motorized scooters. After 9pm the ship got very quiet. The gym was not busy at any time. It was a great cruise and everyone was very nice. No raucous parties or drunk people.

I know your post was meant to be snarky. You obviously haven't been to the gym at 6 am on a Carnival cruise. I have. There were a lot of people even at that time. I am hoping for something different with a predominantly older crowd. We'll see.

At 62, I'm quite disappointed that people feel I'm old...I have 5 children and 15 grandchildren and I still run circles around them...and yes I booked on a 14 day to Hawaii on the Splendor in. January.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forums mobile app

lol I'm 60 and dh is 69....and we still have a high schooler!!! It's great too!!

We apple pick we snorkel we go to amusement parks we zip line we parasail we go to rock concerts (albeit at this point I'm getting my kids to see the rock n roll greats ...such as billy Joel and Paul McCartney and of course Rod Stewart) where the average age presently of the audience is definitely mid 60's.

We navigate Insta FB Snapchat like a pro and embrace our Idevices and take it with a grain of salt...when the kids say "you really caught on to the IPhone/IPad quickly". Lol.

We do everything online and can remodel a bathroom without ever stepping into a store. Same for Christmas shopping. Now it's not that we are too old to get out to a store....it's that we know the prices and inventory are better online

Haven't written a check and mailed it in years to pay a bill either. What for? It can all be done online. Lol

Oh and I'll never consider myself old either.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was shocked to realize my dad just turned 67; first, I feel like my parents will perpetually be in their 30s, secondly, he is a LOT more active than I am!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Yep, my dad is now 61, and it still does not compute. I don't think my parents will ever be "old". :')

My cruise starts next Saturday. I'll have to report back on the old folks. LOL

i'm heading out on oct 14 are you on that cruise. i'm 53 and still cant get my older sister and my younger niece to be able to hang out with me at night. so its up to you to make your own party and meet other people. if your on the cruise look for me.

Oh and I'll never consider myself old either.

That is the key. The minute you think yourself old, you are. It seems to me that older folks seem younger and more active in 2017 than they did at the same age in my parent's and grandparent's day. That is a good thing. You really can't stereotype older people these days, though obviously, judging from this thread, that hasn't stopped some from doing it. I find it ironic, and a bit hypocritical, that many younger folks are so closed minded.

That is the key. The minute you think yourself old, you are. It seems to me that older folks seem younger and more active in 2017 than they did at the same age in my parent's and grandparent's day. That is a good thing. You really can't stereotype older people these days, though obviously, judging from this thread, that hasn't stopped some from doing it. I find it ironic, and a bit hypocritical, that many younger folks are so closed minded.

lol haven't you figured it out by now? They are only open minded when it suits them. When it's PC. When it's what all their friends are doing. When it makes them think they are sophisticated and cool.

They are very close minded when it might interfere with their life. I wonder how many 20 somethings would be willing to share their cabin with a destitute person and pay their way so they can enjoy a nice vacay?

Rhetorical question and post btw. No responses required. Lol

We are taking this cruise on the 14th and have no issues with an older demographic. I'm 38 and my soon to be husband is 45. Some of our best cruise friends are older than our parents. You are really missing out in life if you only associate with people that are exactly like you. There are some things like physically demanding excursions that our friends might not be able to do, in those cases we will see them at dinner and tell them all about our adventure. I'm sure you'll find a few younger people on any sailing that you can make friends with. The problem with motorized scooters is not people that use them all the time it's the ones that rent them for a vacation who don't know how to drive. I was run into at Disney World and it really hurt. I've never had that happen on a ship. The horn honking person would get some sarcastic "everybody get out the way, we have someone very important that needs to get by" type of comment from me.

My wife and I did the 15-day cruise to Hawaii in 2012 and it was fantastic! We were in our mid-50s at the time. The average age of the passengers was 65+ but we hung around with fellow cruisers in their 20s and 30s. And yes...there were MANY scooters onboard but we had no problems with them. This cruise was absolutely the best one we've taken so far!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

We did this cruise on the Miracle in Jan 2014. At the time we were early 50s. We definitely brought the average age down.

Because it's pretty darned cold no one was out on Lido during trans-pacific portions of the cruise. This meant EVERYONE was inside. Common areas tended to be very crowded.

The good part to that was we met a lot of people and had some fantastic conversations.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

I think we were on the same cruise. I was in my late 40's and my husband was just 50. We had a great cruise critic meet and greet. 2 weeks allowed time for people to talk and get to know one another. It was an older crowd for sure, but most were there to have a good time and it showed. Horrible seas on the way to Hawaii.

As others have mentioned, we noticed people camping out at the buffet and playing games.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're heading out on our second Hawaiian cruise on the Miracle next week. These cruises definitely have a different vibe to them. With my 4 kids making up 20% of the children on these trips, we have a blast. It's like being surrounded by a few thousand ready-made grandparents! The cruisers tend to be more seasoned, and less whiney, in general. Yes, there might be a higher chance of medical emergencies, but it's all taken in stride. Last trip, we had to make an emergency trip back to the Islands and the only thing I can remember about it was the Carnival wait staff walking around with trays of Whiskey Sours for everyone as we eventually sailed away!

Our family loves sea days, and so we enjoy these longer cruises.

I will say that being platinum on this cruise is not quite as special, since there are so many platinum and diamond cruisers on these trips. Luckily, the result is that everyone is made to feel special. I'm perfectly OK with that!

The oldies get to the GYM early. At about 6:30. Busy especially Cardio machines. If it's a sea day. i'll go to gym at 8:00 (No crowds) then go to Brunch at 9:30. Get nearly every-thing you would want for breakfast; plus Banana Cream Pie. Yum. the gym can get busy around 5:30-7:00 in evening with crew members also. Yes the average age will be about 50 (lower then princess), yes there will hardly be any kids. Yes the late night comedy club you will get great seats not to far down the front as The Comedians will pick on you.. Enjoy. Can't wait for my 19 days cruise in June...

If your cruising experience is only the Caribbean, then it is a younger demographics. Carnival can is also very attractive to these travelers- it is the "Fun Ship". .

But sail other destinations and go on longer cruises, the age generally goes up. Various reasons, "bucket lists", available funds, available time off etc.

Unfortunately it also isn't unusual for workers to have very limited vacation time off.

Quite honestly I am a little offended at your post and generalizations. I am 65 and in top physical shape. I run, work out, own a sailboat and have sailed the Caribbean. We get Cheers and are pretty damn good drinkers as well. We do more cruises, because generally, I say generally have more money and free time.

1. The MDR vs Buffet is not an age related decision.

2. "Old people" work out just like young people. My gym is packed at 6am with all age groups

3. ridiculous, just ridiculous. Us "old people" shun a good personality and humor

I found the post to be condescending and dismissive.

Condescending how? Isn't it true that older people have different habits than younger people? A ship full of 60 yr olds will be a different experience than a ship full of 20-30 yr olds. Is this not true?
I concur. It's funny how it's OK to tree all about cruises with TOO MANY KIDS, or not cruising during public school breaks. Then we have threads about not cruising during COLLEGE SPRING BREAKS. it's all part of the the same discussion. No more no less.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk