Fancy Schmancy Sea Bands? (anti-nausea bracelets)

Going on an Alaska cruise in early May, so I figure I'm going to need sea bands. I'm a first time cruiser, but have used sea bands before on small boats and they work for me.

Except that they're ugly. And scratchy. And when I went to buy some on Amazon, there were these other anti-nausea acupressure bracelets (Psi Bands) that are a lot nicer looking, for twice as much. Checked out Etsy, and ooh boy! - you can get all sorts of bling-ey beaded bands for however much you might be willing to pay.

So has anyone here tried the fancier versions of sea bands? Did they work for you? Did they seem worth the bother? Did wearing matching* bracelets three fingers above both wrists turn out to be a fashion statement you were comfortable with?

(*Come to think of it, I guess they don't have to match as far as color and so forth. Have been thinking I might try making my own, and the idea of coordinating but not matchy-matchy bracelets could be fun to play with...)

Being a first timer out to sea a couple of years ago with my hubby, I didn't know if I would be sick or not, so we looked at some of the Sea Bands too. The big fluffy cuff looked like it was cut off an old sweatshirt...lol

I decided to make my own. I went to Walmart in their watch section and got a couple of their sport bands. They're made of Neoprene and velcro, and look, well, 'sporty'. Then I sewed a rounded button to the inside.

So, it either worked, or we were meant to be on the ocean, because neither of us got sick.

Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Forums mobile app

Being a first timer out to sea a couple of years ago with my hubby, I didn't know if I would be sick or not, so we looked at some of the Sea Bands too. The big fluffy cuff looked like it was cut off an old sweatshirt...lol

I decided to make my own. I went to Walmart in their watch section and got a couple of their sport bands. They're made of Neoprene and velcro, and look, well, 'sporty'. Then I sewed a rounded button to the inside.

So, it either worked, or we were meant to be on the ocean, because neither of us got sick.

Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Forums mobile app

Thanks so much. :)

It's very helpful to know that your diy version seems to have worked.

I have ordered "Queasy Beads" before from Carol. She didn't have the color that I wanted on her website, so she made a custom set for me that didn't cost any extra. She asks for you to measure your wrist, she sends you a picture before she mails them out for approval, and I love em. I even wear them on land occasionally!

I have ordered "Queasy Beads" before from Carol. She didn't have the color that I wanted on her website, so she made a custom set for me that didn't cost any extra. She asks for you to measure your wrist, she sends you a picture before she mails them out for approval, and I love em. I even wear them on land occasionally!

Aren't they pretty :) ? And I didn't see just quite the colors I wanted either, so extra thanks for the info about your custom bracelets.

Have you found that the Queasy Beads worked as well for you as the normal cuff-style sea bands?

• 1 month later...
Aren't they pretty :) ? And I didn't see just quite the colors I wanted either, so extra thanks for the info about your custom bracelets.

Have you found that the Queasy Beads worked as well for you as the normal cuff-style sea bands?

I have never worn the actual Sea Bands - but I did find that the Queasy Beads helped me - I have even worn them on land when I get one of those headaches that brings along the nausea.

Sorry for the late response, I just can't get used to the new format of Cruise Critic. It was much easier to me the old way-

• 1 month later...

I have used the sea bands that look like sweatbands. Ugly but effective. I've been eyeing the Queasy beads as a nicer alternative. I'll take both just in case. I can't find how long it takes to get them once ordered. I'm guessing they are already made, but if not, could it be a long wait. Our cruise is June so 5 weeks or so should be plenty of time. How long was it for you to get yours?

Thanks.

I have used the sea bands that look like sweatbands. Ugly but effective. I've been eyeing the Queasy beads as a nicer alternative. I'll take both just in case. I can't find how long it takes to get them once ordered. I'm guessing they are already made, but if not, could it be a long wait. Our cruise is June so 5 weeks or so should be plenty of time. How long was it for you to get yours?

Thanks.

She actually makes them to order. You have to measure your wrist (she'll tell you how) and you'll give her your measurements. She takes a picture of your bracelets for your approval before shipping. She is very nice, and easy to work with. I contacted her thru her social media site that I don't think I'm allowed to mention on here! Her name is Carol. But I think she also has a website? I ordered mine on August 25, and she shipped them out on September 2nd, and I got them on September 6th.

I ordered a custom bead pattern - I actually sent her a picture of a necklace (one of those that is a single pearl on a brown choker) that I had, and she matched it perfectly by using chocolate brown wood beads, with pearls! I love them! You'll never wear your "sweatbands" again!!

I have worn every type of wrist band including electric ones. They work...a little bit. If you are a sea sick/car sick kind of person, back them up with pills. I like Bonine (less drowsy Dramamine, meclazine, antivert, the brand Bonine). I rarely take a whole one, as they do make me drowsy, so I'll take 1/4 or 1/2 pill at the time as I need it. I also bring ginger candies from my health food store made for nausea. Green apples (think room service or buffet) can be soothing as well, as can getting out on deck and looking/staring at the horizon. Don't let seasickness ruin your cruise. It ruined my first one. It's amazing I ever agreed to get on another ship! Now I've been on about 20 or so. It always starts for me the first night in the dining room. So I just reach into my purse for that Bonine!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 months later...

I saw many people on my last cruise with these. The package comes with two in it. You are meant to wear one on each wrist,not split them between two people. Maybe they work mind over matter? We had a set of them and I found them uncomfortable. I don't think that my wrist is that fat :eek: I will stick to the .20 mg meclazine each night. Worked so far for me.

Seabands are acupressure and it takes 2 properly positioned to make any difference. I used to wear them. They can be tight and they tend to leave red marks on the wrist. I think they look clunky at dress up time. I usually just take Bonine and use ginger chews. I don't pack them anymore. On the last night of this past cruise and again the next day on the Fjord excursion through the Gulf of Alaska, I would have paid a lot of money for a set! It might have taken the edge off and allowed me to stand outside where I could have gotten a really good picture of the humpback whale!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...