Best Prices for Solo Cruisers?

catsea

Some cruise lines are putting solo cabins in their new builds and sometimes in refits. They are not always the best deal out there. You need to check the prices against a regular cabin with the single supplement.

Besides HAL (as mentioned above), Cunard offers non-suite staterooms for about 175% for solo cruisers.

Don't be so sure the solo cabins are the best prices......in some cases, paying the supplement in a standard cabin is a better price, so be sure to look at all your options.

A number of times I have seen inside cabins and even ocean view cabins for less than studio cabins, and one rare occasion I even saw a balcony room for less than studio room on NCL ships.

For non-NCL cruise lines I have seen inside cabins (but not lately) available for less than studio rooms on NCL cruises making the same stops.

Lately however, I am finding the standard cruise line are charging so much for solo travellers that I am starting to look at the luxury cruise lines and not finding them that much more expensive once you include all the services they add in without extra charges.

The cruise market has changed from what it was like two years ago.

Lately however, I am finding the standard cruise line are charging so much for solo travellers that I am starting to look at the luxury cruise lines and not finding them that much more expensive once you include all the services they add in without extra charges.

Yup! I think Crystal (at 30% supplements for window cabins) offers the best value for solo travelers.

Crystal is not offering nearly as good a deal for solo cruises as it used to.

You can find cruises with low or no single supplements. It helps if you have flexibility about when and where you want to cruise, and even the cruise line you are considering. We can't post an URL to a competing travel agency to CC, but I use one frequently that lists bargains on single supplements which is abbreviated VTG.

You may also want to look at booking through some of the travel companies that specialize in no single or low single supplements, such as Road Scholar or Grand Circle or Vantage.

Also, if you are considering a river cruise, take a look at Vantage, Gate 1, and AmaWaterways. I recently took a river cruise with Ama, and they waived the single supplement.

Yes, there are cruises with zero single supplements......but as you said very limited choice of where and when. Crystal offers that on virtually every ocean cruise they sail.....the exception is something rare like the Northwest Passage. That's part of what makes it a great value---not just a low supplement, but also choice and quality. I booked a B2B in 2019 at 30%

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Crystal is not offering nearly as good a deal for solo cruises as it used to.

You can find cruises with low or no single supplements. It helps if you have flexibility about when and where you want to cruise, and even the cruise line you are considering. We can't post an URL to a competing travel agency to CC, but I use one frequently that lists bargains on single supplements which is abbreviated VTG.

You may also want to look at booking through some of the travel companies that specialize in no single or low single supplements, such as Road Scholar or Grand Circle or Vantage.

Also, if you are considering a river cruise, take a look at Vantage, Gate 1, and AmaWaterways. I recently took a river cruise with Ama, and they waived the single supplement.

Thank you! I'm shocked at how cheap AmaWaterways is! Unfortunately flying there and back would be too much right now, but I'd love to do that someday and I'll definitely keep their name in the back of my mind until then!

Thank you! I'm shocked at how cheap AmaWaterways is! Unfortunately flying there and back would be too much right now, but I'd love to do that someday and I'll definitely keep their name in the back of my mind until then!

Too much in terms of money, or too much time/effort?

Roz

I have been a solo cruiser for about 5 years. No cruise line caters to solo cruisers. NCL does have a little cheaper cabins but not by much.

On many lines I have found the regular cabins are cheaper then the single cabins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It takes a lot of searching and a willingness to switch lines to find the best prices. If you are tied to certain times and cruise length your choices are much more limited. Right now since I have to cruise solo at spring break I am finding NCL to be the most reasonable.

I have been a solo cruiser for about 5 years. No cruise line caters to solo cruisers. NCL does have a little cheaper cabins but not by much.

On many lines I have found the regular cabins are cheaper then the single cabins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree only because "solo cruisers" is to diverse a group. No one can cater to such a different collection of people who have different preferences and expectations

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I disagree, none of them should be charging more than 100% single supplement. And I still have a hard time believing that couples spend so much more money that solo travelers that a 50%-75% supplement will not make up for the difference in spending.

All the other extra functions added to help solo cruising I can find a way to do without if the fares were not so high.

• 3 weeks later...

Generally for me, it has always been NCL and I'm not talking about the studio cabins (took about time for cruises to actually see there was interest!), but inside cabins as well. Like some people here said, you can sometimes get a standard inside cabin with the supplement fee cheaper than the studio cabin. Sometimes I also see them go for around the same $$ with maybe the inside cabin just costing a little bit more which to me, is worth a little more for the space.

RCL also offers similar types of deals to NCL but I found with RCL you have to book way in advance normally to get those rates whereas with NCL, you can get really great last minute deals which is what I like looking into the most.