what's a French balcony?

trish1c

I did a search but didn't get an answer.

Just starting to look at River cruises. A family member planted the seed on Christmas as DH & I are taking off for our caribbean cruise next week on a mega ship.

What are the differences & similaries between the two experiences besides the obvious -- river v. ocean; size / intimacy; wifi & wine & beer included?

TIA

We are going to be 1st time river cruisers in May 2013. We booked a French Balcony. On a fast moving, salt spraying, ocean viewing cruise ship I am happy to have an obstructed window. I just need a glimpse of daylight and to see the weather. Also, I am cheap and prefer to cruise frequently, rather than luxuriously. However, on a riverboat there will always be "stuff to see": everchanging towns and castles, boats on the river, lights at night. So I really wanted to enjoy the view and hear the sounds. So we opted for a big sliding glass "patio-door like" window that opens. I wont be able to sit or even step outside; but I will be able to stick my head out and look up or down the Rhine river.

One word of caution. I did not research this. It never crossed my mind as a possibility: Other riverboats can tie up next to you! So I bought some cute pajamas for the morning when I wake up and fling open my window. Instead of seeing a quaint town or castle; I find myself staring into the face of some guy on another riverboat. Hopefully, he will be wearing pajamas, too.

Just came to my mind again: This summer I compiled a few pictures to explain the difference (esp. twin / combined balconies).

http://www.rivercruiseinfo.com/content/windows-and-balconies

enjoy :)

What a great link. We are planning our first river cruise and I will be sure to share this with our cruising buddies.

You asked about differences: all tours are included on most lines, but if you are a very independent traveler you don't have to take them: you are never out of sight of land; there are locks, glorious locks and they can happen day or nite. If you are a lite sleeper go for midships as there are both bow and stern thrusters and they can wake even a heavy sleeper. Many lines are including beer and wine with dinner, some even at lunch. River cruising is becoming extremely popular, so if there is a specific time you want to go--book early, the season is usually March til right after New Years. Russia is usually May til Oct. Everyone here has their favorite line or lines--ours are AMAwaterways and Uniworld. Some of us have travelled more than one line and some stick with one only. Try to give us some specific questions and we will try to answer. There are posters from countries in Europe also. Good luck. Pat

We had a french balcony on our first river cruise in august, I think this is what we would choose on future cruises too. We did spend some lovely relaxing hours of an afternoon in our cabin, most tours etc tended to be of a morning, so the last couple of hours before dinner was a good time to sit back and read, watch the world go by, have a wine or as in my husbands case a few nanna naps. Plus waving to locals , who must see so many ships pass by, but always waving and smiling.

Of a night it was nice just laying in bed hearing the sounds of the river and the lights and of a morning an early coffee sitting there watching the world sttart its day, especially if you were passing or docked in towns.

We just found being able to open the windows and take in the atmosphere just added to our fantastic experience.

Deb

Sorry if my previous post offended anyone. It was not meant to do so. I see that it has been eliminated......................:rolleyes:;):D

No not you....I started it and am sorry about that and have already apologized to the OP and once again apologize to everyone else on this board.

CC deleted a whole string of posts starting with my unfortunate post :(

We had a french balcony on our first river cruise in august, I think this is what we would choose on future cruises too. We did spend some lovely relaxing hours of an afternoon in our cabin, most tours etc tended to be of a morning, so the last couple of hours before dinner was a good time to sit back and read, watch the world go by, have a wine or as in my husbands case a few nanna naps. Plus waving to locals , who must see so many ships pass by, but always waving and smiling.

Of a night it was nice just laying in bed hearing the sounds of the river and the lights and of a morning an early coffee sitting there watching the world sttart its day, especially if you were passing or docked in towns.

We just found being able to open the windows and take in the atmosphere just added to our fantastic experience.

Deb

Thanks Deb, that is what I was hoping!

Nana -- we're good.

I am "impressed." I didn't know CC cherry picked posts. I thought they just deleted the whole thread which would have been unfortunate.

Anyway, I found some helpful YouTube videos of river cruises. The personal ones gave me insight, but the ones professionally produced as commericals by the various companies offered better overviews.

Nana -- we're good.

I am "impressed." I didn't know CC cherry picked posts. I thought they just deleted the whole thread which would have been unfortunate.

Anyway, I found some helpful YouTube videos of river cruises. The personal ones gave me insight, but the ones professionally produced as commericals by the various companies offered better overviews.

Thanks Trish! No they delete individual post...someone must have flagged the post and frankly had I come across a "temper tantrum" like that I would have protected you too and let someone know....

The Youtube vidios are real good also search this board for links posted by "steve and kathy" they have wonderful personal blogs that cover a couple rivercruises. You really want to see these....once again I am at a loss as to how to post a link but maybe someone else will do it for you.

DH and I are sailing with Avalon Sept 2013 Paris to Prague, really excited.

Good luck to you in your research, but do go on each of the River cruiselines websites and order "old fashion" brochures, they are wonderful and easier to digest than the eBrochures.

:)

PS those French Balconies are really just sliders with a bar to keep you from going out the wrong door....they do give you an open feeling and in warm weather let you feel the breeze!

And here's another with a great river cruise review I forgot to include

http://www.thepreismans.com/

Sippican, Thanks for posting the links! I had forgotten about this last link. I wish CC would just post these permenantly on the top of the board as they are great resources for newbies. I am forwarding both the links to 1st timers traveling with us next fall. They have never been to Europe and of course never done a Rivercruise ( unless you count fishing on a river in Oregon)

Thanks again ..

.. Ok the goal today is not to piss anyone off! Wish me luck :)

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!

Sippican, Thanks for posting the links! I had forgotten about this last link. I wish CC would just post these permenantly on the top of the board as they are great resources for newbies. I am forwarding both the links to 1st timers traveling with us next fall. They have never been to Europe and of course never done a Rivercruise ( unless you count fishing on a river in Oregon)

Thanks again ..

.. Ok the goal today is not to piss anyone off! Wish me luck :)

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!

Looks like you're making your goal!:D

Can't wait to hear about your cruise. We are doing Prague to Budapest on AMA but not until 2014. We have 16 in our group and only two have done a river cruiise (in China not Europe).

Maybe this was in a part that was deleted, but to the original question:

A French Balcony is typical in French (and Spanish) architecture, where a floor-length window/French Door does open to a railed balcony, except the balcony isn't deep enough to actually stand in.

They are great on the river ships as you get the effect of a balcony - view, fresh air, light, etc., but it doesn't cut into the real estate of your cabin. Since the canal-navigating river ships can't be any wider than they are, there would be no room for a true sit-down balcony without taking the space from the interior. You can still hang over the rail and enjoy the view, though not when tied up to the pier on your side or when in a lock. We enjoyed it on AmaLegro this past October.

There had been a ranting post from someone who didn't know this a couple of months ago, and thought they had been mislead and cheated by the cruise line. Nope. But it is an architectural term that isn't that well understood.

Looks like you're making your goal!:D

Can't wait to hear about your cruise. We are doing Prague to Budapest on AMA but not until 2014. We have 16 in our group and only two have done a river cruiise (in China not Europe).

My China cruise was a whole differant deal....what a trip! Three weeks in China and a trip that I will never forget. Really looking forward to the cruise next fall and am already making plans....Normandy Beaches is the top of my DH list so I am booking those arrangements first. I promise I will be reporting in!

Amsterdam to Budapest is high on the list for next adventure! And plan to go with AMA .

So far so good, the day is still young but have not pissed a soul off yet or gotten any naughty notices from CC :0

Maybe this was in a part that was deleted, but to the original question:

A French Balcony is typical in French (and Spanish) architecture, where a floor-length window/French Door does open to a railed balcony, except the balcony isn't deep enough to actually stand in.

They are great on the river ships as you get the effect of a balcony - view, fresh air, light, etc., but it doesn't cut into the real estate of your cabin. Since the canal-navigating river ships can't be any wider than they are, there would be no room for a true sit-down balcony without taking the space from the interior. You can still hang over the rail and enjoy the view, though not when tied up to the pier on your side or when in a lock. We enjoyed it on AmaLegro this past October.

There had been a ranting post from someone who didn't know this a couple of months ago, and thought they had been mislead and cheated by the cruise line. Nope. But it is an architectural term that isn't that well understood.

I remember that post and laughed at the time...did they not even look at a brochure? Or go to the companies website and look at the pictures....unbelievable that some people will book a very expensive vacation site unseen with no research what so ever....exactly why I love Cruise Critic, such great info and wonderful resource!

Hey Wingtip56, you are from my neck of the woods! We used to have a beach house just above Harris Beach outside of Brookings! Sure do miss that place :)

I remember that post and laughed at the time...did they not even look at a brochure? Or go to the companies website and look at the pictures....unbelievable that some people will book a very expensive vacation site unseen with no research what so ever....exactly why I love Cruise Critic, such great info and wonderful resource!

Hey Wingtips56, you are from my neck of the woods! We used to have a beach house just above Harris Beach outside of Brookings! Sure do miss that place :)

I haven't been to Brookings in ... days. I'm near Hiouchi, in the trees.

I do highly recommend AmaWaterways for your river cruise. They were wonderful and handled an out-of-their-control setback with style: we were delayed leaving Budapest at the beginning of the cruise overnight...14 1/2 hours to be exact.. due to local bridge repair crews finding an unexploded 500kg WWII bomb in the river, shutting down the river. (It closed again after we departed, with 8000 evacuated from local neighborhoods when it was time to defuse it.) We were scheduled to leave at 9:00pm, sailing by the illuminated city. So they took us out anyway on a figure 8 cruise, with champagne, to see the illuminated city and bridges anyway, then tied back up for the night. The delay forced us to bypass Bratislava and go straight on to Vienna (we were still a few hours late arriving there). While so totally not their fault, they gave us all a $50 OBC, and even then, arranged a bus for an afternoon tour from Vienna to Bratislava for those of us who really wanted to see it. Lovely little city. So yes, Ama is worthy of a recommendation. We sail on them again on AmaLotus in Feb 2014, Vietnam-Cambodia-Mekong River. (With a real balcony!)

Archived