Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman snorkling

dlwfarm

We are going to these three islands. Belize, Roatan (Honduras) and grand cayman. At the cayman's we are planning on seeing the stingrays. We are looking for great snorkeling. Lots of fish, but coral also. None of us will be diving down, we'll just float on the water. 5 of the 7 of us have never snorkeled, but 2 of us have snorkeled lots. Which tour should we go on from the Carnival Glory boat or should we do off boat tours? What has been your experiences. Thanks, mary

Cayman has "hard coral"... not lots of color but good formations. Also very salty water. You will definitely float better in Cayman. For Roatan, there is a private island excursion that allows you to snorkel, sit on a beach, has a small zoo and wildlife area, and a pool. It is at the end of the barrier reef and has some very pretty coral formations and colors. Belize is the best. Find an excursion that takes you out to the barrier reef. In all of the areas I've snorkeled in the Caribbean (and there are a lot), it so far has been the best.

This year, I get to experience some new places, Costa Rica, Bonaire, and Grand Turk. Looking forward to those and seeing how they compare.

Steve

I've snorkeled in all 3 places. I do not like ship snorkel excursions due to the crowds and limited time in the water. I hate getting hit with fins.

For Grand Cayman I can highly recommend either Stingray Sailing or Cayman Eco Adventures. Both do not pack the boat like sardines and allow you plenty of time in the water with the stingrays. You also get the separate snorkel at the coral reef with plenty of time. With Kevin at Eco Adventures, since he has the fastest boat, you also get another stop. We did Starfish Point which was beautiful. Snorkeling in Caymans was good but did not beat Belize.

In Belize last month we did a private snorkel trip with Ivar Marchand. If you do a search on the Belize board you will find a more detailed description of our perfect day. The snorkeling is gorgeous! Saw stingray and sharks and a barracuda.

For Roatan last month we went to Maya key. Only way to get there is by ship's excursion. We were disappointed since we had heard such glowing snorkel reviews. On problem is it was so crowded and the trail through the coral is very narrow. The coral near the water entry was brown with very little fish. It got better when you cleared the trail and it got deeper, but then you had to make your way back through the narrow passage with the crowds. There were 3 ships in port that day. It might be ok if only 1, but I doubt we will ever go back.

We have our own gear and that is a plus if you plan on snorkeling more than once.

We are going to these three islands. Belize, Roatan (Honduras) and grand cayman. At the cayman's we are planning on seeing the stingrays. We are looking for great snorkeling. Lots of fish, but coral also. None of us will be diving down, we'll just float on the water. 5 of the 7 of us have never snorkeled, but 2 of us have snorkeled lots. Which tour should we go on from the Carnival Glory boat or should we do off boat tours? What has been your experiences. Thanks, mary

These are just my opinions and experiences...

In grand cayman for swimming with the stingrays, we used Nativeway and had a blast. The experience was awesome and it was a very small crowd. They also took us to Rum Point for lunch and snorkeling there at the reef "park" out in the ocean as well. They put a rope out for those that have never snorkeled before or if the water is rough to hold on to. My, then 5 year old, snorkeled the reef too along with a few others that had never snorkeled before and we had a blast.

As for Roatan, we absolutely loved Maya Key (the private excursion booked using the cruise ship....because it's the only way you can do it now) for the snorkeling. You walk right down the pier and into the water and you are there at the reef. It was amazing....especially once you make it to the drop off (think Finding Nemo). They have other things there as well like an animal rescue, so it's like a mini-zoo. You can also hold the monkeys, there's a beach, there's a pool and a replica ruins there.

I have full reviews of both these places (the review for Nativeway Grand Cayman is the second review...the first time we went and booked with them, we ended up on another tour not with them) listed in my signature line. There are TONS of pictures so you can get a feel for the place.

The only other suggestion I would have for Roatan would be to head over to West Bay. The snorkeling there is right from the beach. I can point you in the right direction if you want more info on it as well. :)

• 3 weeks later...
The only other suggestion I would have for Roatan would be to head over to West Bay. The snorkeling there is right from the beach. I can point you in the right direction if you want more info on it as well. :)

I would be interested in more information on options for Roatan. We are looking to book a snorkel trip for myself, my husband, and our seven year old son. We are diving in Cozumel and Grand Cayman, and working to set up private (not booked by the ship) trips in Roatan and Belize. Our son is already an experienced snorkeler.

I would be interested in more information on options for Roatan. We are looking to book a snorkel trip for myself, my husband, and our seven year old son. We are diving in Cozumel and Grand Cayman, and working to set up private (not booked by the ship) trips in Roatan and Belize. Our son is already an experienced snorkeler.

Check out THIS thread about West Bay with awesome snorkeling, tons of information about the place, and maps as well.

I've snorkeled in all 3 places. I do not like ship snorkel excursions due to the crowds and limited time in the water. I hate getting hit with fins.

For Grand Cayman I can highly recommend either Stingray Sailing or Cayman Eco Adventures. Both do not pack the boat like sardines and allow you plenty of time in the water with the stingrays. You also get the separate snorkel at the coral reef with plenty of time. With Kevin at Eco Adventures, since he has the fastest boat, you also get another stop. We did Starfish Point which was beautiful. Snorkeling in Caymans was good but did not beat Belize.

In Belize last month we did a private snorkel trip with Ivar Marchand. If you do a search on the Belize board you will find a more detailed description of our perfect day. The snorkeling is gorgeous! Saw stingray and sharks and a barracuda.

For Roatan last month we went to Maya key. Only way to get there is by ship's excursion. We were disappointed since we had heard such glowing snorkel reviews. On problem is it was so crowded and the trail through the coral is very narrow. The coral near the water entry was brown with very little fish. It got better when you cleared the trail and it got deeper, but then you had to make your way back through the narrow passage with the crowds. There were 3 ships in port that day. It might be ok if only 1, but I doubt we will ever go back.

We have our own gear and that is a plus if you plan on snorkeling more than once.

I agree about Maya Key. We still had a fun day, but the reef looked dead. Also a big bummer was the first thing we saw upon entry of the water was a Dora the Explorer diaper. We saw another one later in the day when exploring the island, meaning that it didn't just float there from somewhere else, there was a very disrespectful parent that was littering more than once there. The reef was very small and narrow like the quoted poster said, and to go to the drop off took no time at all.

Belize's reef is amazing but you must go out to one of the little islands. We went to Goff's Caye and it was an amazing day.

I have links to both those places in my signature.

Grant it that it has been a couple of years since we did the Maya Key excursion, but we were on the first boat to the island. And I was actually the first person in the water at the end of the pier. I asked the guides if I needed a guide and they said not if I knew what I was doing snorkeling (which I do). I then asked where the boundaries were, and they pointed out a wide span. So, I ventured out and went most of the way from point to point. After about 90 minutes or so it did get more crowded out along the rim but there was still room to move. The coral was beautiful and diverse and pretty much deep enough for people not to stand on it. There were some ridges you could swim between but had to be careful of coral, including some fire coral.

So, I agree that it is not as good as Belize but it stands up a good second (at least until I snorkel Costa Rica and Bonaire next winter).

My recommendation is go early and snorkel first before the crowd gets out there. Then go thru the narrow channel and swim along the rim and explore the outer ridges.

Steve