shopping in Progreso

ABQrobin

We have been going to Mexico every year for the past 15 years and now have a large collection of Mayan wood carvings, mostly masks. When we were at Chichen Itza several years ago, we got a wonderful carving from one of the many vendors outside the ruins.

We are sailing on the Liberty the last week of August, yeah! Our plan is to visit Uxmal ruins. Are there local vendors there at the ruins for shopping? Wood carvings? Textile weavings?

My DH is getting worried he won't get to buy a new piece for our living room wall. Our son wants to get another one for his apt, too. Yes, my family loves the Mayan culture!

thanks!

When we were in Uxmal 2 years ago, there were shops in the area where you enter the ruins. Just outside the ruins in the lot where the busses park there were quite a few vendors. I don't specifically remember any wood carvings but I wasn't looking for them. Lots of clothing, fans, jewelry, etc so it wouldn't surprise me that you'll find what you are looking for.

thanks! I thought there should be some vendors there, as there were zillions at CI.

I have only seen a few pictures of the pier area, right in front of the ship, and a shop there. Is that true? I know it is a long pier and you have to take a bus, but I was thinking I saw a store with the ship in the background. Maybe?

I assume you are going to Progreso. When you get off the ship you will have to walk through the shops at the pier-first the duty free shop then all the others and there's a little of everything. Once out of the shopping area you will hop on the free Autoprogreso bus out front for the 4-5 mile ride into town. You are dropped off at the Centro Bus station and there are shops all around there and you are also about 4 blocks from the beach here. If you are going to Uxmal with Autoprogreso tours, this is the spot you will get back on their bus to go to the ruins. If you are doing it with Carnival, you get on their bus in front of the pier and don't stop in town; however I think you are given the option of being dropped off in Progreso after the ruins and riding the free AP bus back to the ship. We went to Uxmal with Carnival because the AP tour didn't have enough people to go that day. All other excursions we've done from Progreso have been through AP which we prefer.

Yes, we are planning to book the Uxmal tour through Carnival, but that is mainly because we are only in port for 7 hours and the tour is 6.5. It won't leave us any time for shopping except at Uxmal or at the pier (if there is a store).