All Things Ovation of the Seas!

Love these types of threads for other ships, and because I just booked Ovation for April 2016, I thought I'd start one for us to capture news about Ovation.

To follow her construction, we have this thread.

Please contribute any news, tidbits or anything else that will add to the excitement of a new ship.

Cheers!

We are getting her in Australia for what seems to be 4 cruises in Dec/Jan according to the Sydney port cruise ship list, then she disappears we assume to China for our Autumn/Winter.

But wether she will return or not we are not yet sure, Royal describes her as being the largest cruise ship to be 'based' in Australia, so we will potentially share her with Asia just as we share Voyager now.

I always make a point of not booking a ship the first cruise or 3 after she comes over from Asia so the ship has time to air out from the smokers & the staff have time to readjust to the less pushy, less gambling obsessed, more relaxed Australian culture.

I understand you Americans feeling annoyed that 2 out of 3 of the newest ships have been/will be sent overseas, but if it's any consolation we in Australian feel a bit sold out to the Chinese as well, although we are amazed we are even getting a new ship here at all.

Also we only get Royal/Celebrity for 6 months of the year, then during our cooler months when we would all love to cruise with them we have nothing. Sooner or later we hope they will leave at least one ship here year round but until then it's long flights overseas to get a RCCL cruise in Winter.

• 2 weeks later...

Part of the Ovation is undocking this Saturday - I remember the day two years ago when the portion of the QoS was undocked using the same approach; time's flying by!

http://www.noz.de/lokales/papenburg/artikel/586373/teil-der-ovation-wird-samstag-in-papenburg-ausgedockt

Below is the article translated using Google translate:

Part of the "Ovation" is Saturday undocked in Papenburg

Papenburg. On Saturday, a 120 meter long and 60 meter high part of the luxury liner "Ovation of the Seas" will leave the building dock of Meyer Werft in Papenburg from about 10 clock. The ship is the third new building, which is built from two 120-meter long elements. For shipbuilders, the method has been proven.

For the new design strategy, the smaller building dock 5 is used for the production of blocks for cruise ships, so it does not come into the Great Hall to a backlog of work. There currently is the "Norwegian Escape" full length of 325 meters under construction. In the rest Dock currently remain for another 120 meters to parallel the "Ovation of the Seas" to build. Without the new swimming part strategy a jam would be in the block production result, because the space is not sufficient to build the ship on schedule.

In parallel with the finishing work on the "Escape" two approximately 120-meter long swimming parts are thus constructed. After undocking of the first float part on Saturday following the second with the undocking of "Norwegian Escape" in mid-August. Both elements are joined later in the dock with blocks of front and rear sections and give the "Ovation of the Seas".

Experience with the operation are, according to shipyard spokesman Guenther Kolbe well. "With the new contracts for Aida is now clear that we want to continue like this until 2020. "Currently, there are ten luxury liner in the order books of shipyards. The components would be upgraded and housed for their time spent outdoors. While this is somewhat expensive, but the processes and procedures would steadily refined. "Differences in quality, because the parts of the weather are exposed, does not exist. The floaters are previously preserved, "said Kolbe. The equipment companies could, in the construction already relatively fast start again on the next ship with the equipment after the completion of a new building, so Kolbe.

The "Ovation of the Seas" will be delivered to the US shipping company Royal Caribbean International in spring 2016. The luxury liner is 348 meters long and can accommodate 4,900 passengers. The ship is the third ship of the "Quantum-class". In May, the Meyer Werft had given the shipping company the contract for the construction of another sister ship of this class, which is to be delivered in 2019.

We are getting her in Australia for what seems to be 4 cruises in Dec/Jan according to the Sydney port cruise ship list, then she disappears we assume to China for our Autumn/Winter.

But wether she will return or not we are not yet sure, Royal describes her as being the largest cruise ship to be 'based' in Australia, so we will potentially share her with Asia just as we share Voyager now.

Looks like those sailings are open for booking now. Slightly less expensive on the au site than the US. Dec. 15, Dec.30 and Jan. 9 then a repo to Singapore on Jan. 23.

Loads of discussion about the Australian Ovation cruises over on the Australia & NZ board thread about Ovation.

Over 20 000 Australians apparently signed up for the pre launch emails & cabins are selling well apparently.:)

I was one of them & got $50 OBC for doing so, so happy with that little bonus.

• 2 weeks later...

We are looking at the 15 night holiday cruise to NZ.

Anyone have any inside intel for the Dec 1st cruise? I see Nov 15-30 and then Dec 15th but nothing in between. We are thinking of doing a B2B...

K

• 3 weeks later...

We are booked on the Dec 15th holiday cruise to NZ, The Ovation doesn't leave Sydney till 16th, so 1st night will be a big party onboard over looking Opera House and Harbour bridge. This cruise is over Christmas so should be very special. Think prices will stay high for this cruise

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a question for those who have booked Ovation for the Australia season.

We are booked on one of the first cruises on Ovation and were told that this ship will not have Dynamic Dining so our booking shows MTD. This is a real disappointment to us - especially as they have now cancelled DD for Oasis class. There was some discussion about this a while ago whereby someone said that there will be a form of DD in place. However I understand than Quantum had DD removed for her transfer to China

So.....finally :rolleyes: ...... my question is do you have Traditional/MTD on your booking or Dynamic Dining.

Hope someone can answer a few questions I have about the Ovation of the Seas. My family and I have booked a 7 night cruise for May 2016 on Ovation and I wanted find out a few things…

1) Will all the swimming pools onboard Ovation of the Seas be salt water or fresh water?

2) Will children’s high chairs be readily available in restaurants such as Windjammer, onboard Ovation of the Seas?

I realise that Ovation is a new ship and nobody has sailed on it yet, but I was hoping that people who have sailed on Quantum of the Seas or Anthem of the Seas might be able to advise on what I can expect with Ovation.

Thank you for your help.

Edited by l33b

Hope someone can answer a few questions I have about the Ovation of the Seas. My family and I have booked a 7 night cruise for May 2016 on Ovation and I wanted find out a few things…

1) Will all the swimming pools onboard Ovation of the Seas be salt water or fresh water?

2) Will children’s high chairs be readily available in restaurants such as Windjammer, onboard Ovation of the Seas?

I realise that Ovation is a new ship and nobody has sailed on it yet, but I was hoping that people who have sailed on Quantum of the Seas or Anthem of the Seas might be able to advise on what I can expect with Ovation.

Thank you for your help.

The pools are usually desalinated water.

Yes they always have high chairs in all the restaurants.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Visitors to Meyer Werft get a great view of the Ovation's Two70 construction.

Unlike her sister ships, the aft end of the ship is closer to the visitor center window. It is also facing the shipyard's Hall 6 exit (meaning that she will be towed out backward on float out day).

2ef94ee19af155cf7771bcccb9911884.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

• 4 weeks later...
Our December 30th also gave us the option of DD or MTD, for what it is worth.

Interestingly, if you do a new booking on Ovation whilst she is in Europe you are now only offered "Flexible dining - dine any time the Main Dining room is open".....

However, if you do a booking on Ovation whilst she is in Asia you are only offered the 17.30 or 20.00 dining times- and no MTD or DD.

But from the 2 confirmations above, it looks like DD will be in place when she is in Australia!

My existing European booking says I'm on MTD.

Confused or what!

Edited by little britain

My husband and I are booked on Ovation of the Seas Barcelona to Dubai for May 10th, 2016. This will be our first cruise with Royal Caribbean and we are so looking forward to it. I do have a question about Royal Caribbean interior staterooms, in particular on the Quantum class ships. Are there mini fridges/mini bars in the rooms? I planned on taking my filter water bottle and wondered if there would be a fridge to chill the filtered water.

I'm sure that I will have more questions as we go along... so please bear with me.

Interestingly, if you do a new booking on Ovation whilst she is in Europe you are now only offered "Flexible dining - dine any time the Main Dining room is open".....

Confused or what!

My RCI confirmation for Southampton Sailing on the maiden is showing as Dynamic

:confused:

Are there mini fridges/mini bars in the rooms? I planned on taking my filter water bottle and wondered if there would be a fridge to chill the filtered water.

Yes, but the temp of the unit is not as cold as a fridge - it cools, not chills.