Ecstasy vs. Paradise vs. Destiny

brilliantseas

brilliantseas - Choice of ships the Destiny. I have cruised it and Ecstasy both and really liked the Destiny. We liked the Movie screen on the Lido deck and it's a little larger ship. I believe the Ecstasy and the Paradise are very similiar ships. Now that being said I saw your other post about the ports. Don't remember which ship is going where, but if it was me I would choose my cruise based on the ports, not the ship. But that's just me. As for the ports on your other thread I would definitely go to Grand Caymen and Cozumel over Freeport and Key West!!! We love Key West and go there every year on a land vacation, but you don't get enough time on a ship to really enjoy it. That being said Grand Caymen is amazing! If you go there try to do a Stingray excursion it's one of the best we have ever done. As for Cozumel they have nice beaches, good snorkeling and great bars! Have fun on whatever cruise you choose!

Thanks, Stephanie. I've been on the Imagination (sister ship to the Paradise and Ecstasy) and on the Triumph and Victory (slightly modified version of the Destiny) and I've found a post-Evolutions of Fun Imagination to be much nicer than either the Triumph or the Victory, with the exception of the fact that Triumph and Victory had more pool space and balconies. I just found both of them to be in very poor shape as compared to the Imagination in 2008 and the Dream in 2011.

I've done Cozumel three times and enjoy it every time. I've also been to Key West once. I guess the biggest reason why I haven't already booked the Paradise Grand Cayman and Cozumel itinerary is because it is only 2 ports vs. 3 (2 sea days vs. 1) and from the pictures I've seen of the Paradise, I don't think I'd enjoy the decor nearly as much.

I'm also curious as to just how poor of shape Destiny is in currently, with the dry dock being pushed back to 2013. I remember reading reviews last year saying that she needed some work already, and it has had another year of wear and tear since then.

We will be going on the Paradise on 2/20 for the 5 day with two ports and two sea days, and I hope it's as good as it appears it's going to be. The Paradise is sailing today for her first cruise out of drydock. When we get back I will definitely leave a review. Tampa is not a bad area to cruise out of. It's only 45 minutes away from us, so it was almost a no brainer.

OF the three, I've only sailed on the Destiny..and loved it but cannot compare to the others you mentioned. It is newer as others have stated. It also goes to Half Moon Cay...our favorite island of all (we felt like we died and went to heaven...gorgeous sandy beach..and we rented a cabana which is the way to go there).

Good luck choosing!

My daughter has been on Destiny and Elation (sister to Ecstasy) and her pick is Destiny by far. She is a 20 something that is on the go all the time. Elation wasn't big enough for her roaming. She says Destiny had more hot tubs too.

I have been on all 3 ships & for the condition/modernization/refurbishment the ECSTASY WINS hands down! Great waterpark & the ship looks spotless showing almost no age! BUT only the 2ND BEST Itineray of HALF MOON CAY, Nassau, & Freeport! The buffet & main dining room were also revamped! New signage in the lido buffet as well a a very understated elegant looking main dining rooms! The Ecstay's theme is NEW YORK! Also there is an adult only "Serenity Deck" on the rear of the ship below the lido buffet!

The DESTINY has THE BEST Intineray of GRAND TURK, HALF MOON CAY, & Nassau! The ship Has been overdue for drydock, & does show her age here & there, including old tube tvs & outdated public areas BUT she is a VERY CLEAN SHIP! The huge movie screen by the pool area is awesome! I saw AVATAR while cruising the warm carrib. on a moon & star filled night, AMAZING!!!!! Dunno the exact theme but the Destiny reminds me of "OLD VEGAS" styling! NO adult only "Serenity Deck"

The PARADISE I have done 3 times from long beach so sorry I dont know the new Itinerary :o BUT NOTHING BEATS HALF MOON CAY! THe PARADISE is the most "Carnival CLASSIC" of the three ships! She is newer but feels more outdated then the Ecstasy in the same "FANTASY CLASS!" of ships No waterpark or updated "resort" center lido pool! Her theme is classic ocean liners! "Serenity Deck" on the rear of the ship below the lido buffet!

We ended up choosing Carnival Paradise because it worked best with the dates that we could travel and the itinerary. Even though it only visits two ports instead of three, we basically wrote off Freeport as a waste of a day and Cozumel and Grand Cayman beat out Nassau and Key West in terms of our interests.

Going back to the "big ships" for our next two though. Allure of the Seas in October and Carnival Breeze next April, with maybe a short 4-5 day in between. Still dying to go back to the Carnival Dream Western Caribbean itinerary as well.

I have sailed on the Paradise and the Ecstasy, but I prefer a bit larger ship like the Destiny. As someone mentioned earlier, I like having a balcony and those are basically junior suites on the small ships (expensive). I also just like the extra room and amenities that larger ships tend to offer. Just my 2 cents. :)

Archived