Embera Food and Water Safe?

2OldTravelers

Wondering if anyone can comment on the safety of eating food prepared at the authentic Puru Embera Village. I am worried about food prepared with the water or improperly cleaned hands. I wouldn't want to offend anyone, and not eat what was served. Just looking for input prior to booking this trip.

Wondering if anyone can comment on the safety of eating food prepared at the authentic Puru Embera Village. I am worried about food prepared with the water or improperly cleaned hands. I wouldn't want to offend anyone, and not eat what was served. Just looking for input prior to booking this trip.

These are just some observations and assumptions as I really do not have any way of verifying it. Overall I would say the food is safe enough, but you are where things are very basic. I really don't think you will find a commercial grade dishwasher or the like. Most likely the "main course" will likely be fried fish and fried plantain or possibly fried yucca... that should take care of most of the bad stuff;)! A lot of items you can eat with your hands rather than heavy reliance on utensils. Most of the fruit that is provided is not raised by the Emberas and is purchased locally, so you can always choose a banana. As far as I know the cruise lines have the tour operators provide bottled water in cases such as this, so that should not be a problem.

Of course this is a very broad brush view as there are a number villages that can be used for the tour so there can be some minor differences in each tour.

Fried fish and fried plantains were served while we were there. I believe bottled water was offered. If you're really worried about the prepared food, there was a guy from the tour that wore gloves and passed out bread, sandwich meat and cheese.

We ate the fish & plantains (and took some of the sandwich meat and fed it to the village dogs!). The meal was delicious and we didn't have any issues.

If you end up booking, enjoy! Visiting the village was one of the best experiences of my canal cruise.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a3df20b3127ccef25783e351a600000050O00Bat2Tds5ZtAe3nwI/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00403967275020130102004102962.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

I'd take bottled water from the ship. The Embera are smart folks and they know that if a tour of guests go back to the ship sick from the Embera tour, they won't continue to get tourists. Fresh fish from the river Tilapia is fried as are the plantains, so no problem there. Do what you like with the fresh fruit. It 's not like it's street fruit, its from someones kitchen, how be it a humble kitchen, no Viking or Wolf equipment. How refreshing is that! Regards, Richard

• 2 weeks later...

I took a tour with My Friend Mario to an Embera Village (not sure which one) and I ate the food. As mentioned it was fried fish and fried plantains. The fruit was brought by the guide and chopped by a couple of the Embera women. The drinks were bottled and also brought by the guide. Everyone on our tour ate and no one got sick.

Jen

• 1 month later...
I'm trying to learn more about the different tribes and locations. Where does the Island Princess take their guests on their tour? I will be going in April of this year.

I really don't know if there is any way to find out as there are several villages that can be used.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm trying to learn more about the different tribes and locations. Where does the Island Princess take their guests on their tour? I will be going in April of this year.

There is no way to know for certain which village they will use. The "best" and most authentic village is Embera Puru, which is the one Princess normally uses. However, to get there you cross Madden Lake and go up the San Juan Pequini River. April is the end of the dry season, and Madden Lake provides water for the Canal if Gatun Lake is low, which it may well be at the end of the dry season. When the Canal pulls a lot of water from Madden, the river drops. In April it will be very likely that the river to Embera Puru will be too low to get there, other than hiking up the river bed, so it is likely you will visit another village.

But go anyway . . . these are wonderful people and I'm sure it will be an experience you will remember for a long time. Regards, Richard

• 7 months later...