$US Australian $ conversion

All I know is that about eight years ago the USA dollar used to buy a lot in Australia and now we found regardless of the exchange rate that the costs for basic items were about the same as we would pay in the USA. Of course the USA dollar value is very low.

Keith

Hmmm, in 1998 when we were there it was $1 to $ 1.50 US - wondered what happened between 1998 and 2001....

I think you have this in reverse.

In early 1998 the USA dollar would get you the equivalent of $1.59 in Australian currency as the uSA dollar was worth more not less than Australian currency.

For comparison, in early 2006 the USA dollar got you about $1.36 in Australian currency as the USA dollar weakened.

And earlier this year a USA dollar got you only about 1.14 in Australian currency.

And today it is about 1 to 1 in terms of bank to bank meaning for us it is even less.

Keith

Sorry folks but don't expect any sympathy from me.... I am not being harsh, but simply put - it is about time I was not penalised for travelling outside of Oz.

For years I went to the States/Europe and had to put up with my hard earned savings being HALVED (or worse in the case of the UK) and to have people say "oh, now my money is equal to that of the Aussie dollar" well, count yourself LUCKY.....I will sympathise when the US dollar is half the value of the Aussie, but until then, remind yourselves that you have had it so good for so long. It is OUR TURN now. :)

I am thrilled as we pay for our cruises in U.S. dollars and we are now just about on par so it is just getting back to the days way back in the 70's when we received $1.20U.S. for our Aussie dollar.

If only the English pound would revert back to the exchange rate of the 60's and 70's as well. It would make travelling for us a lot cheaper though the Euro is the thorn in the ointment and that is certainly not going to change.

We are just so lucky whatever the exchange rate, that we are able to travel and are able to enjoy the experiences.

Jennie

A few years ago we could only dream of cruising on a luxury line like Seabourn. Now it seems like we are getting our next cruise for half price compared with the 2001 exchange rate.

The rate has also improved dramatically against the pound. I seem to recall the general rate of exchange in the 'good old days' was 2 Aussie dollars to one Pound. The rate is close to that now.

When we travelled on P&O's Oriana in 2002 the exchange rate was close to 3 dollars to the Pound. I certainly made the drinks on board very expensive:eek: .

Steve.

It has changed a lot in the past 8 years and all in the favor of the $AUD. In 2000 when we rented a house in Lorne at Christmas time, I received $AUD 1.93 per $US 1.00 when I wired my funds to Australia. While there in 2004, I received $1.36 - $1.40 $AUD per $US 1.00 and this past month, I got about $1.03 - $1.04 AUD for my US dollars after the bank and Visa/MC fees. Much more expensive for us and a much better deal for our Aussie friends, particularly when buying cruises in US Dollars. Oh, how we miss the "half-price" sales! :D

We too, are getting killed by the Euro and the pound sterling. :mad:

OhCruisinDad,

How unbelievable that you rented a house in Lorne back in 2000. We had a beach house there for over 27 years and only sold it in 2001 after our children had grown up and we found we weren't using it as much as we should have.

It is my favourite place on our coast and I hope you enjoyed your stay there and spent time doing some of the beautiful drives and walks that surround Lorne amongst the Otways.

Jennie

Good news for the Aussies, Kiwis, and Canadians. You all certainly took it on the exchange rate chin when the prices for raw materials were down.

You're all welcome to visit us in the US. We are on a half price sale now.

Good news for the Aussies, Kiwis, and Canadians. You all certainly took it on the exchange rate chin when the prices for raw materials were down.

Funny thing was, even when our currency was very weak, it was always cheaper to shop for linen, towels, clothes, shoes, etc. in the US than Australia.

We used to come home with four extra suitcases full of purchases for the four of us.

So well imagine, Australian shopping will be even more expensive for Americans now.

Hi - We Canadians went through the same misery as you Aussies when the US dollar was strong. We are LOVING the exchange rate now. When the Canadian dollar went above $1.00 US, there was dancing in the streets.

Cruises are 1/2 the price they used to be for us. So what if airfare has gone up...we are still saving money compared to 5 years ago.

So far, the Canadian economy is still very strong and we have not seen the same slowdown as the States. Friends of ours just bought a $500,000 home in Florida for only $175,000. Times are very tough down there.

Let's hope things get better for our US friends - but I'd love our dollar to stay strong.

Hi - We Canadians went through the same misery as you Aussies when the US dollar was strong. We are LOVING the exchange rate now. When the Canadian dollar went above $1.00 US, there was dancing in the streets. "

Every time our dollar gets close to parity, it drops back. We're still waiting for our celebration.

I'm still amazed at how we managed to keep travelling, as a family of four, when our currency was so weak. However, I'm sure glad we did, as we have priceless memories and our family are grown now doing their own travels.

Every time our dollar gets close to parity, it drops back. We're still waiting for our celebration.

I'm still amazed at how we managed to keep travelling, as a family of four, when our currency was so weak. However, I'm sure glad we did, as we have priceless memories and our family are grown now doing their own travels.

I hope your celebration comes soon.

I don't know how we did it either. All of those trips to Disneyworld cost us double. I cringe when I think about it.

Funny thing was, even when our currency was very weak, it was always cheaper to shop for linen, towels, clothes, shoes, etc. in the US than Australia...

It's called the WalMart effect! We also don't have as much VAT bundled into the goods we buy. Electronics and computers are also much cheaper here than in most markets.

... So far, the Canadian economy is still very strong and we have not seen the same slowdown as the States. Friends of ours just bought a $500,000 home in Florida for only $175,000. Times are very tough down there...

Expect the Canadian $ to stay high as long as the oil keeps flowing out of the Prairies and world prices remain high. Better hope your environmentalists don't shut down the oil sands projects to meet the Kyoto Accords targets!

The real estate bubble was the worst in Florida. I hope your friends are happy with their purchase. They just should plan to sell it for $500k anytime soon. Not surprisingly, a former colleague and friend of mine from Vancouver called recently asking about San Diego real estate.

Expect the Canadian $ to stay high as long as the oil keeps flowing out of the Prairies and world prices remain high. Better hope your environmentalists don't shut down the oil sands projects to meet the Kyoto Accords targets!

QUOTE]

Yes, you're right. However, I am more concerned about countries who feel they have a right to explore our Northern terrirories.

Yes that's for sure!! Two weeks ago my daughter and I spent a week in New York state and we shopped like crazy. She's doing a masters degree in Australia (Gold Coast) and she was shopping like crazy to bring things back to Aus for her and her friends.

Not only are prices cheaper in the US but with the Canadian dollar at par with the US$ and our sales taxes up here at around 14% it makes it even better.

I can buy a 30 pack of Canadian beer in a US supermarket for $16!! and that's not duty free that is the every day price. A 30 pack of Canadian beer in Ontario would cost around $40!

Canadians are now buying cars in the US and shipping them to Canada and saving thousands.

The Americans can cheer a little since our dollar has dropped back down to 92c. I am disappointed as were were about to pay our balance. It can wait another month now to see if it goes back up.

Still remember being in the states and Europe at 50c or less. Glad those days are over for now.

Thats exactly what I'm planning on doing. I booked and paid for my cruise when the Aussie $ was 97c to the US. It will most definitely have a good effect on tourism in the US

Mochuck,

Do you mean to say that you have already paid for you cruise for July, 2009! You are on the ball, though we were lucky and paid for our upcoming cruise when it was at .93 back in June. I don't mind what the rate is as long as it is over .90! We have another one due to be paid around Christmas time, I am hoping that our dollar will start climbing again.

Jennie

Jennie

... Better hope your environmentalists don't shut down the oil sands projects to meet the Kyoto Accords targets!

QUOTE]

Yes, you're right. However, I am more concerned about countries who feel they have a right to explore our Northern terrirories.

OK, I have to bite - What external country do you believe is infringing upon the sovereignty of Canada or are you refering to the settling of the Northern Territories by people of non "First Nations" ethnicity?

Thats exactly what I'm planning on doing. I booked and paid for my cruise when the Aussie $ was 97c to the US. It will most definitely have a good effect on tourism in the US

You are correct, my brother has a car rental company in Orange County and international visitors are the strongest part of his business these days.

Mochuck,

Do you mean to say that you have already paid for you cruise for July, 2009!

Yep I did. Normally, I wouldn't part with my money until the last possible moment but with the dollar they way it is and the price of fuel going up all the time I paid for it outright.

Mochuck,

I have just read the two cruises at the bottom of your post. We were on the Oriana in 1981 with our two children. We went in August to Vanuatu, New Caledonia, Fiji and New Zealand. It was a lovely old tub but had seen better days. We weren't so impressed but our children had a ball!

My parents had been on her a number of times when she was brand new and it was a two class ship. It was beautiful then.

Jennie

Archived